Anti-Bullying Bill

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Anti-Bullying Bill

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Everyone!! :)

I hope you're OK.

American politicians are debating for and against a 'bill' [a proposed 'law'] that would effect those who choose to bully.

Click on

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ ... TE=DEFAULT

to read the story.

Based only on what is said in that news report [because who knows - maybe there is more to it] what side do you support - the Republicans or the Democrats? Should specific reasons a bully might have for bullying be mentioned in the law OR should the law simply attempt to stop bullying in a more general way?! In other words - should the law say that a person can't bully someone because they are gay or overweight or whatever? OR should it simply say that ALL bullying - regardless of reason - will no longer be tolerated?!

I tend to believe it should be more generalized.

But what do YOU think?!

Have a great day.

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
munchkinprince
Loyal

Re: Anti-Bullying Bill

Post by munchkinprince »

I believe the bill is too specific if it is to have any merit at all. A proper bill would illegalize all "bullying," and if that was to take place, it would be counterproductive.

A school that criminalizing bullying is a school that hampers the growth of students. I've grown up being bullied and I've grown stronger through it. Whether it be institutionalized or personal:AXE'd in the locker room for being gay or being criminalized by the school counselor for entering her office, each event helped me grow stronger. If I had the perfect school life, I would have had a horrible adult life.

If the bill was to criminalize all bullying ever, it might cover more ground. But what does that accomplish? It changes behavior, not thought. As Will Ferrell/Chaz Michael Michaels put it, "it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle." Every objection to reality a person has is like shaking the bottle. To not allow a release of said bottle... You've seen the explosion on the inside. That's the equivalent of a kid bringing uzi's to school.

It's pointless and counterproductive. You take the fight from the kid and what have you got? A kid with no fight. And how does that help the kid?

Good question.