In the wake of VT....

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Jaegermeister
Veteran

In the wake of VT....

Post by Jaegermeister »

I was reading up on the VT massacre, and I found this little gem on BBC:

HOW MODEL CAMPUS SECURITY COULD WORK

Few campuses have elaborate security, but experts suggest the following options could help keep staff and students safe

1) Wall provides secure perimeter and stops public entering campus

2) Security guards control access, with ID cards used by staff and students. CCTV cameras record movements of people and cars

3) Control room provides airport-style checks and acts as base for 25-30 campus police at typical college. Security systems monitored

4) Key buildings including labs and dorms have own security guard, CCTV and swipe card entry. Forced entry raises alarm

5) Tannoy system/siren conveys key information or raises alarm

6) Texts, automated phone calls and e-mails from control room warn students and staff of emergency and keep them updated

Source: AP/Strategic Technology Group

Ok, now, I understand the want for safety and all, but this is asinine. It may work at smaller schools like my old college, which had 2000 students with a 99% on campus residency, as well as a small campus, but there's NO WAY that sort of thing could possibly work here at OSU or any of the other large schools. First of all, with a community of 50,000+ students, and another 10000+ faculty and staff going in and out at all hours, not to mention a student population where MAYBE 1/4 of the students live on campus, that idea is ludicrous. Not only that, but it would so drastically alter the campus atmosphere, not to mention have a real possibility of bankrupting the university. It already takes me about 20 minutes to walk to most of my classes, if I had to add in a 20 minute wait to go through security, not to mention the detours I would take to have to get to a security checkpoint, I just wouldn't go. Also, what about football Saturdays? We draw in a crowd of easily 150,000 people to campus alone (not counting all the bars and tailgates in the campus area) for Buckeye football games, and how are we going to check in 150,000 people AT THE SAME TIME?!? It's one thing for airports to do something like that, but it would kill the atmosphere of game day. Furthermore, our campus is entirely too large to be able to be effectively walled in. We do have a central campus, but what about West Campus across the river? North campus? As well as the major problem of redirecting the traffic flow through campus? And all of this on the off chance that some disturbed person might some day commit a tragedy?

I'm sorry, but people are f-ing scared little sheep. I would not go to a school that had those security measures. I feel just as safe today on my campus as I did last week. No matter what measures you take, tragedies will happen. I understand that in the wake of tragedy people are seeking to prevent it again, but personally, I would rather be less secure and not give up my way of life than submit to a security check every time I entered campus just in order to feel safe.

Anyone else here agree?

"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Re: In the wake of VT....

Post by FiZzBaW »

That is an extreme case of over security in my opinion......

The only one of those measures I agree with, and thought about before I saw this post is #6.

6) Texts, automated phone calls and e-mails from control room warn students and staff of emergency and keep them updated

I think all college campuses should have a system in place to txt message and email students instantly in the event of any emergency. It would act essentially like a PA system in High school. I am not aware of how I would be notified of an emergency on my campus.... and I really would feel much more secure if they had a central system that could notify the entire campus of any problems that may be unfolding.

As far as all of the other measures...... They are ridiculous and would completely ruin the college atmosphere and moral of the students. I don't think I would be able to learn in such an environment....

-my thoughts

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group