Respect/Admire

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Respect/Admire

Post by SirPostAlot »

We were debating this and it in all honostly made me a little depressed so i'll bring it to you all:

HONOSTLY:

who do you respect or admire more:

A) a person who earned a PhD in business/social science (economics, finance, history, etc)

B) a person who earned a PhD in medicine (optomitry, dentistry, surgery, etc)

C) Same respect - PhDs are hard work either way
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Re: Respect/Admire

Post by FiZzBaW »

I answered C) Same respect......

As a college student I can honestly say that at one time I thought that college would be a breeze and that it was easy to get a degree...... I now know that its not as easy as I thought it would be, there is a lot of work involved, and though I know I will make it to at least my Bachelors, and hopefully my Masters in Business Administration, I now KNOW that it will be a real accomplishment and have greater respect for those who have achieved higher education.

-My thoughts

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

I think people would like to place a higher value on medical PhD's because of the idea of the amount of work that goes into it. But regardless, PhD's take effort.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Ingenuity
Loyal

Post by Ingenuity »

Between those two I'd have to say social sciences, but most of my respect goes to mathamaticians. I've got a thing for logic, and I personally think math requirs the most raw inteligence. Less memorization.
Save The Cows!
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

i agree w/ you jared - not htat i thought college would be easy (but i thought i had a grasp on like what my major entailed - but i was wrong...like i know the basics, but i don't know the indepth analyitical equations and everything to that nature (i mean i can bullshit and explain why something is the way it is but in finance the equations and proof are what matters (which is why i love it, haha)...god i can't wait to take econometrics - i'm trying to browse through amazon for a cheap one to study over the next year or two before i take that intensive class, but they are all like 100$+...

anywho, its shocking (though good) to see that people have the same respect...i asked like 10 to 15 people here on campus and they all without thinking like it was a tough question answered "medical" and amber (one of my best friends here) told me it was pretty much pointless to get a PhD (not that i am planning on any time soon, but sometime in my life i would like to earn one) in econ or finance (or financial economics as some univs. offer) because it wouldn't be a real PhD and the only doctors are ones in medical...talk about a dagger ot the heart, ahha

-Jeff
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

I've always had equal respect for both.

However, society favors doctors over a PhD in another subject.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
sweethelp
Veteran

Post by sweethelp »

Honestly I think they are both equal. They both take a ton of work, which I'm not looking forward to as I'm going for my PhD in psychology, but it does seem like the medical PhDs earn more respect. While in reality they both take a lot of work and should earn the same amount of repect.

~~Kimmy~~
She's so big hearted

but not so remarkable

just an ordinary humble girl

expecting nothing as we may

to think it's a pretty person's worth

you are beautiful

and you'd better go show it

so go and look again

you gotta be true only if you really wanna go to the top and you really wanna win

don't believe in living normal

just to satisfy demand

Well, if you wanna get free

and if wanna get smart by the sake of your heart

you should own your lame and stand up tall

:)
VittorioCole
Loyal

Post by VittorioCole »

I have respect for both equally.

However, respect for their knolodge, only. Respect for the person is gained through acts, not a peice of paper.

Not what you ment, i know. Just taking it further (as usual. hehe)
[CENTER]So you're the fire and I'm the water.

I am the balance and you are the color.

I won't forget you when we're not together.

This is the ending, here's my surrender.[/CENTER]