Rewriting The Ending, To The Giver

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
NunchakuSteve
Veteran

Rewriting The Ending, To The Giver

Post by NunchakuSteve »

For and English Book Project I am supposed to rewrite the ending, do the Giver, I'm thinking, that Jonas decuides not to leave rite away but then his dad kills baby gabe :'( and then he runs away.
Pazuzu
Loyal

Re: Rewriting The Ending, To The Giver

Post by Pazuzu »

**You know whats pathetic? It took me until the end of my story to realize what I did was ADD to the story and you had to REWRITE the end. *sigh* Hahahaha oh well, good luck with your work.

Thats so sad! I had to do the same thing. Mine was pathetic lol. Just for the sake of not wanting to leave the computer heres mine :P :

Behind him, across vast distances of space ad time, from the place he had left, he thought he heard music too. But perhaps it was only an echo. It was difficult to concentrate with the thrill of the ride. But just as he remembered the sled came to a nice peaceful stop. He got off and forced his stiff legs to move. The pain was almost unberable, but he knew it was necessary for their survival. I have to keep going for Gabe, he thought to himself. Pick it up, put it down. Over and over he repeated this to himself to keep his feet moving. Finally through the whirling snowflakes Jonas could see the first house. With excitement he started to run. Or at least he tried. His feet were too heavy. He tripped and started to fall. Jonas threw his hand out to stop himself from crushing Gabrielbut his wrist gave out and he fell, stomach down. It didn't hurt Gabe too much ince the snow ws deep, but as Jonas stood up chunks ofsnow feel down his jacket, freezing Gabriel. It didn't bother Jonas too much since his feet were numb but Gabe cried out. Jonas removed the snow as best he could and once again started forward.

He placed a foot onto the neatly shoveled step. He put a hand out to steady himself. Too late, he fainted.

Warmth flooded into his body.

"Mom, how'd you know I wanted a brother for Christmas?" There was group laughter. Maybe five people? Jonas started to open his eyes then squeezed them closed again. Tere was too much light.

"Oh, sweetie, go dim the lights. He wants to open his eyes." The darkness deepened behind his eyelids. Slowly he opened his eyes and took in what he could. There were five people, a family. There was a tree in the corner with different colored light strung over it. He was lying on his back, everyone was staring at him.

"Hello, I'm Cathy." She appeared to be the mother of the three children he could see.

"Wheres Gabe." His voice was rough and dry. One of the two girls, one of the children, left the reappeared with a glass of water.

"The baby? Oh, hes asleep in one of our older cribs. He's just fine, don't worry. He's being kept nice and warm."

"Here you go," the girl said as she handed the glass to Jonas. He thanked her and took a sip of the water. Feeling refreshed, he started out with his story.

By the end everyone was sitting wide-eyed, gawking at him. Finally Jonas realized he would be living a new life now. A completely different life from the one he had grown so accustomed to. His eyes began to sting and he burst out crying.

"Oh you poor baby!" Cathy squealed and she grabbed Jonas in a bear hug.

"Cathy, don't smother the poor boy.!" The father figure put a hand on Cathy's shoulder and she backed away.

"Well, I hope you'll both be very happy here."
Kristina
Veteran

Post by Kristina »

Lol, i think he covered it, sorry steveo!
There's always someone cooler than you
NunchakuSteve
Veteran

Post by NunchakuSteve »

Thank you :P

You all helped, this is what I wrote :P

It was dawn, looking through his window; Jonas admired the dark sky lit with tiny little dots of light otherwise known as stars. In the distance, Jonas could here an owl hooting, its low hoots were somewhat soothing in a way. He found it difficult getting to sleep, he was thinking. Thinking about what the Giver had said to him just the night before. The still and calmness of the night allowed his thoughts to be carefully examined, just what was he thinking? He was thinking of escape, and of little Gabe.

I cannot leave now, I never could do it. I just can?t leave now!

Jonas turned over, and drifted off into a deep sleep. Though he did now know it, Jonas was very tired that day but couldn?t realize himself just how tired and in need of sleep he really was. His sleeping soon turned into another dream. This time, it was not of Fiona, or anybody else. It was the Giver himself, who had met in the dream.

?Jonas?,? A familiar voice said. ?Jonas??

Jonas knew whose voice it was,? Giver??

?Jonas, take yourself and little Gabe, and go now. Leave this place; you now know what the real world is like, and what is going on here. You must go now before it is too late!?

?I-I?I don?t understand?

?Just go?now!? The Giver said, his voice trailing of into a distance.

And at that, Jonas woke up.

When Jonas had finally risen, he already knew that it was way past his normal waking time. Jonas dressed, and walked down the hall to find where his family was but to no avail nobody was present at home. His mother would be at the Department of Justice, Lily would be at school, but his father would be somewhere else. At the nurturing center, with Gabriel. Jonas knew what was going to take place, and he ran out the door. He grabbed his father?s bike, which was faster and had the children?s seat on the front. Pedaling as fast as he could, Jonas hoped that he still was not too late. He had to save Gabe.

When Jonas arrived, he went directly to where his father would be today inside of the ?Releasing Room?, down the long corridor and the second door on the left. His heart pounding, Jonas ran faster than he ever had in his life. The two large metal doors, swung easily open allowing Jonas access to the room, he then saw his father putting Gabriel back down onto a table to make the final preparation for the solution that would be going to be used on Gabriel. Father raised the syringe, and pointed it at Gabe. Gabe started to cry.

?Now, don?t you worry little guy. Everything?s gonna be just alright, we?re going to fix you they way you should?ve been before.? Father said gently.

Now Gabe?s crying became louder, it made Jonas himself like crying. But he couldn?t now, for all he was feeling was a deep rage inside of him. Jonas was sickened with his father, he didn?t care, he couldn?t care, it was impossible for him to understand. He cannot be allowed to get away with this!

Seething with anger, and hatred to his father. Wait, he wasn?t ever his real father, just a man, who was given a kid to keep at home! Jonas picked up a foldable metal chair that was at a table nearby. He snuck up behind his ?father? and swung, and struck him over the head with all his might, which was a lot for a boy his age. His rage empowered him. His love for little Gabe, energized him. He picked up Gabe, quickly gave him the memory of a warm sunny day to ease the little one?s grief and off he ran as fast as his legs would allow.

The two then arrived back at their house, Jonas knew they had to run away it was their only option. But where would the run, Jonas thought. He knew that there was a road leading away from his community and into another. His parents had always taught him that this community was bad, and that they should never go there. Packing up his bag with any available foods, Jonas filled a large canteen and thermos full of water. They may need this to survive, if they don?t find there way.

Mounting Gabriel onto the children?s seat, Jonas pedaled as fast as he could to the other community to get away from the corrupt ways of the very place of where he grew up. He knew in his head what he was doing was right, he was also sure that the Giver understood how and why he was leaving. Well he was the one who told him? After an hour, Jonas was so tired he almost fell over so he took this as a sign to take a break they were also quite a way away from town, so they were fine to take a small break. Jonas fed baby Gabe some food, and had him drink some water, Jonas had the same and they resumed the bike ride.

The weather got bad, and it had started to rain, really hardly. There was lightning, and thunder. Jonas could barely see what he was driving into, and to make matters worse Gabe started to cry extremely bad. Jonas summoned every good memory he had inside of him and gave it to Gabriel to soothe whatever he could of him, this left Jonas a little tired, and woozy.

Just over the horizon, he eyed a village.

Exactly was he was looking for, he felt a little better. But he didn?t have his memories anymore, but he had one left. His love, he still has his love in him. Getting closer and closer, he noticed a beautiful most colorful village, he started to feel whole. All his memories were gone, but yet, he felt great as he was experiencing all these new things. He knew Gabe and he would be safe now, and everything would be okay.

Jonas smiled, and he knew Gabe was smiling too. He heard him giggle, for the longest time.

Just then, a crack of thunder and lightning boomed forth to the ground.

They just kept on smilin?.
NunchakuSteve
Veteran

Post by NunchakuSteve »

I know there are spelling errors, but I'm correcting them later :P

tell me what u think
NunchakuSteve
Veteran

Post by NunchakuSteve »

heheh thankies :P
WalmRtJunkie
Loyal

Post by WalmRtJunkie »

I had to do the same thing when I read that book. Mine wasn't nearly as good as yours though. Yours makes me want the ending to go on and on and on and on and on... like the energizer bunny! He he.
I forgot to pay the electricity bill on my mind... therefore, my thoughts are dark.

Image,

Krystena
Gur|
Loyal

Post by Gur| »

What book was that?? :blink:
I wanna try that pill that people take

Make you believe all the things that people say

Sick of shuckin' 'round with a screwed up face

With my heels dug in trying to leave a trace

Now come on put me down somehow

How you lose your faith

Just take my hand and lead me where you wanna
NunchakuSteve
Veteran

Post by NunchakuSteve »

*sigh*

:P

The Giver was a book written by Lois Lowry, it is found to be one of favorites among kid/teens today, it's about a boy named Jonas living in is "perfect life" community where everyone's the same eliminating any problems like racism. At age 12 kids are given jobs depending on who they are to play a roll on the community, meanwhile Jonas is selected to become the receiver and received memories and feelings that nobody has except, The Giver.

It's a great book, and you should ask your english teacher is he has it
Flowers For The Dead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Flowers For The Dead »

didnt you post this in two places???????? isn't that a little unnessesary?
Fill up the bucket with whatever ya got.

Make sure it's somethin' that the bucket likes alot.

One day CUT FREE!!!!
xxwhereisfredxx
Veteran

Post by xxwhereisfredxx »

you guys are doing that in HIGHSCHOOL!!?!?!?! holy crap... we did that book in grade 4! lol

oh well, canadian schools are better than american schools aren't they?!?! lol
When I hear somebody sigh that Life is hard, I am always tempted to ask, Compared to what?

If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.

You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not?

It is a hard matter, my fellow citizens, to argue with the belly, since it has no ears.

WalmRtJunkie
Loyal

Post by WalmRtJunkie »

Originally posted by xxwhereisfredxx@Apr 18 2003, 10:22 PM

you guys are doing that in HIGHSCHOOL!!?!?!?! holy crap... we did that book in grade 4! lol

oh well, canadian schools are better than american schools aren't they?!?! lol

You're such a brat... LoL, J/K! You know I love ya Amanda. He he he... anyways, I did it in 6th grade.
I forgot to pay the electricity bill on my mind... therefore, my thoughts are dark.

Image,

Krystena
spatulaoflove
Veteran

Post by spatulaoflove »

yeah we did it in 5th grade...i though it was some fake shit, i didn't understand how people thought it was so deep when it was so superficial and fake...but whatever i was just a depressed little suicidal 5th grader :D ..u know what book was great...."they cage the animals at night" actally i remember hating that book too...i hate all the books we have to read in school...except all quiet on the western front
love,

Teal, the magical lute playing elf
NunchakuSteve
Veteran

Post by NunchakuSteve »

I posted here askign for ideas and then i posted my rough copy
xxwhereisfredxx
Veteran

Post by xxwhereisfredxx »

we're doing "all quiet on the western front" next week. We're busy doing Othello right now, its stupid!
When I hear somebody sigh that Life is hard, I am always tempted to ask, Compared to what?

If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.

You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not?

It is a hard matter, my fellow citizens, to argue with the belly, since it has no ears.