Completely screwed up freshman year of college

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Hobofuzz
Loyal

Completely screwed up freshman year of college

Post by Hobofuzz »

So, I've completely screwed up my first year of college.. Cumulative GPA is 2.3, current is 1.2. The major I chose (Computer Science) lost my interest, so I started taking G.E. courses, which I did reasonably well on, but not well enough to keep my GPA from dropping. Spring 2007 quarter, I completely failed my Biology course, and almost failed my Art History course (I have a rebellious attitude towards the formal teaching of art), and now my GPA is so low, there's a possibility I won't be able to attend my current university in the Fall, nonetheless transfer to the college I've decided I really want to go to.

I really want to transfer to UC Santa Barbara. I've decided I want to pursue a career in marine biology, since I love the ocean so much, and the ocean always helps me clear my head. I've noticed that I'm always at my best when I've spent time at the ocean, and I feel that, by being in the environment I prefer, I'll do much better in my studies. Currently, I'm residing in a nasty desert valley with a long history of its residents going absolutely nowhere in life, and I don't want that to happen to me too. Since UC Santa Barbara is situated in a coastal town, I'll be near enough to the ocean that I won't have to drive an hour to get there. I'll be able to just go down to the beach and stare off into the horizon for a few hours to clear my head, then get back to my work. My current living arrangement has me still living with my parents, and they get on my nerves quite often. Being around them has always been stressful, and the different distractions I use to take my mind off of the depression this awful city gives me causes me to never get any work done. I spend so much time just playing video games now, which I don't even enjoy all that much anymore, not only to keep my parents from seeing that they drive me crazy by pretending to act like I normally have in the past, as well as a big distraction from everything else.

I'm worried that if I don't get out of this area soon, my future is going to be completely screwed. However, my low GPA has essentially doomed me to continue taking courses at my current university, and the way this area makes me feel will stifle all chances I have at bringing that GPA back up.. So now I'm totally freaking out about this, and I don't know what to do..

>.<
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Re: Completely screwed up freshman year of college

Post by FiZzBaW »

Friend,

It sounds like you know what you need to do, even though you say your don't.

If you feel that you need to transfer to the other university, then you probably should. Your reasoning makes sense to me. If your GPA is too low and is going to keep you from transferring, then you are going to have to suck it up, cram and bring the GPA up so that you can transfer. Look into the future not the past. Set yourself up for success and you will succeed.

-My thoughts

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group