Car Question

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Gambit006
Loyal

Re: Car Question

Post by Gambit006 »

i have driven a celica but i havent driven a TT yet. i guess i just need to know some pros and cons of both
You know when you're sitting on a chair and you lean back so you're just on two legs then you lean too far and you almost fall over but at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time.

xoxo Catherine

My Diary
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Gambit006!! :)

Before I could recommend one over the other - I'd like to know more. Have you already found 'the' Audi TT and Toyota Celica that you would like to buy OR are you thinking in general terms. [as in once you've made up your mind - you'll try to find the car you want] What model years are you talking about?? What specific models?? Are you thinking of a top-of-the-line TT and Celica or the base models? IF you bought a TT would it be the all-wheel-drive version?? If you bought the Celica would it be the 180 h.p. version?? [and so on] What model year are you thinking of?? Would you buy either one of these cars at a dealership??

I'd like to know!!

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
Gambit006
Loyal

Post by Gambit006 »

hey craig....well i dotn really know any specific details abotu the cars except they will prolly both be a 2001 or 2002 model. im gonna buy them at a car dealership auction. so, its really hard to say exactly what they would be like b/c i wont know till that day. ill prolly just get the base models and if i want anythign done to them, ill get my bf to help.
You know when you're sitting on a chair and you lean back so you're just on two legs then you lean too far and you almost fall over but at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time.

xoxo Catherine

My Diary
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

Originally posted by Gambit006@Apr 21 2003, 06:58 PM

hey craig....well i dotn really know any specific details abotu the cars except they will prolly both be a 2001 or 2002 model. im gonna buy them at a car dealership auction. so, its really hard to say exactly what they would be like b/c i wont know till that day. ill prolly just get the base models and if i want anythign done to them, ill get my bf to help.

Hi Gambit006!! :)

I've been thinking a LOT about what car I would choose. [of the two you mentioned] There is no denying that the odds are IN favour of the Toyota being the more reliable car - but probably not as much 'fun' to drive as the TT. AND IF your boyfriend is 'into' fooling around with a car [making it faster or whatever] he may have an easier time with the Toyota. [and parts would most likely be cheaper] What concerns me is that Audi recently offered $4000.00 rebates on last year's model TT - which makes me wonder whether or not the TT is all that popular.

Just for fun... I took a look a the 'Kelly Blue Book' site. That's a good place to get some idea as to what a used car is worth.

http://www.kbb.com/

Once there - what I did was click on the words 'My Car's Value' found on the left hand side of the 'screen'. I was then asked for a zip code so I put in '90210'. [since I live in Canada and that was the only zip code I could think of!!] THEN I picked the year 2001 and then 'Audi'. I then choose the TT. After THAT - I took a look at the 2001 Toyota Celica. In an attempt to keep things fair - I did my best to make sure that each car was as equal as possible. For instance - I decided to put that each car had 25,000 miles and was in 'excellent' condition. I also tried to make sure that each car had about the same number of 'features'. ['options'] Based on what I found [and you can do the same thing at that site and find out for yourself - of course] is that a used 2001 Audi was any where from about $7,000 to $10,000 MORE than then a used 2001 Toyota Celica. That's quite a difference. Based on all of that - I'd have to say 'go for the Toyota'!!

But THAT said..... if I could - I'd probably try to get you to consider other cars. Do you like the Acura RSX?? Or how about the VW Golf GTI?? [something like that??] Or how about the Honda Civic hatchback?? [the one imported from England - with the gear-shift on the dash] Speaking of which - are you OK with 'shifting for yourself' or would you only want a car with an automatic transmission??

It's never easy buying a car - so I wish you a LOT of luck. AND please - take it from someone who has been there - try to keep your emotions OUT of the decision process. The 'thrill' of a owning a car quickly dies off IF all you are doing is getting it fixed!! [or if you find out that it was MUCH cheaper - somewhere ELSE!!] AND never assume anything. Ask as many questions as you can about the car you are most interested in. Make SURE that the car is free of liens and try to find out the 'history' of the car - has it been in an accident - that sort of thing. AND... make sure that buying a car at the dealer auction really IS the best 'way' to go. [read the classified ads to get an idea of how much people are asking for THEIR cars]

I wish I could be of more help. At least you have that 'site' to look at!!

GOOD LUCK!!

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
Rob
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Rob »

Ehh.. you people talk about cars as if they're some cheap toys :blink:

I dunno, over here in Europe, a second hand Audi TT is still quite expensive. I'm about to start taking lessons for my drivers license (legal age is 18 here). When it comes to buying a car though, I think I'll wait a bit longer and just use my mom's one for now (Mitsubishi Charisma GDI, she rarely uses it unless she goes shopping -_-), or otherwise just my bicycle, still gets me wherever I need to go.

I don't exactly see the point in buying a second hand car when I don't really even need one yet. I rather just save up and buy a brand new one sometime, at least I'll know what I'll be getting myself into then.

And on a more personal note, if it isn't a BMW, I don't consider it worth buying :D
CuteLilChk
Loyal

Post by CuteLilChk »

Originally posted by Gambit006@Apr 20 2003, 10:04 PM

ok....im getting ready to get a new 'used car', but i cant decide what i want.? i have it narrowed down to about 2.....

1. Audi TT

2. Toyota Celica

my boyfriend is really really really into cars, so some of its kidna been rubbing off on me....although he is devestated that i dont want a Honda. lol. but anyways....what do yall think?

my ex has a celica. it's pretty nice.

hondas are the best. im devestated too! hehe! I'm getting a prelude or an accord. I'm sooooooooo happy! I see this beautiful prelude on the way home from school every day, and the people have been fixing it up for the longest time, and they're selling it now! I'm not thrilled about the mileage, its gone over once already, but there is all new parts, so I'm not worried. My dad said he might buy it for me, but I have to get a job and pay him back for atleast half of it. Either that, or my friend is selling her accord. It's fairly new. It will be my first car, so I don't want a really new car. Right now I drive my ex's car sometimes.
That's me in my avatar, wasn't I soooo cute!? (I still am, but... not AS cute, hehe, j/k :) )

I love you Langley!!!

R.I.P. Ian Guzik- Oct. 5, 2002

R.I.P. Billie Young