Trial Period

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
Minx
Loyal

Re: Trial Period

Post by Minx »

its not on forcing poeple to help tis they cant...i know i only help when i know i know about what ther persons talking about...like the eating disorders fourm or suicide...i cant help there because i dont know enough about it...and cindy ur doing a great job..so if something will trigger dont go there..do what u can where u can...yup ;)
Dose it honestly really matter? think about it
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

So, how do we make sure that people receive the replies they desperately need if basically.. nobody on this site can handle answering those questions?

I can't handle self harm as a recently recovered cutter, but I force myself because I don't want people to suffer like I did. I can't handle depression as I have recently overcome a very bad spell, but I force myself to so that people don't suffer like I did.

I don't want to, I don't have to.. but I try my best regardless because I know how badly those people are suffering having been through it myself.
Rob
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Rob »

Well, I used to be very depressed, and have a very low self esteem. And I totally don't mind at all to talk about those things since I somewhat recovered though, so I do find it easier to post under those sections. Same goes for the school buddies thing, but that's just mostly common sense.
Minx
Loyal

Post by Minx »

your saying that people who post in chitchat take away from giving good advice to otheres where it is more needed...well i think were taking our good advice : Mine, fruitllops, coindy, robs, sessys and any other person who post on this away from others who really need it..and dont force yourself to rply just because u think others wont...because poeple will...it make tak 3 seconds or and our for someone to respond but someone will...yup :)
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

Sometimes they don't. Yeah, it is distracting away from me going into other forums and giving advice.. but I've been doing that quite a bit today already so I can spare 20 mins away here. Nobody else has to partake in this discussion, but I really needed opinions on this.

I don't say remove chit chat. My initial point was to trial period without it to see if it made a difference on the site and forums and where people are getting help.

I dunno, some support from the regulars in the chit chat would be lovely if they could manage it.
Minx
Loyal

Post by Minx »

me myself am not a regular in chit chat...yes it says my most post are in the fourm but thats because there was a period of time when i couldnt help but i wanted to be on the site so i went to chit chat....i dont think the trial period would make a diffrence....because people who can help will hael when they can...people help where they know whats going on...and when they dont they go to chit chat untill something they can help with comes up...so i say dont try a trial period without the chit chat
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

I only have so much time which I can spend on the forum though. The first half an hour or so is taken up with replying to posts in religion because those are the ones which I enjoy replying to the most.

If somebody else can only give 30 mins a day and they spend those in chit chat with the intention of moving somewhere else afterwards..??
Minx
Loyal

Post by Minx »

when i am home on weekends and im not going out i spend most of my time on TH...and im bouncing around to the fourms i can help in...anyways yet again getting off topic...geez lol :P
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

That is my point.. some people do have the time to spend lots of time on here and help in forums. Those are the "regulars" in the advice forums. Then you get people who spend the majority of the time in chit chat and then write maybe 2-3 replies in the advice forums and go offline.
Minx
Loyal

Post by Minx »

maybe those people spend their time in chit chat because they dont need help at the moment or cant give help at the moment...and i think people use chit chat as a release from their problems because i knwo talking to people in chit chat makes me forget stuff thats hurting me sometimes..so yeah :huh:
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

WE can't control what people do. Chit-chat is a form that helps people relax. I'll catch myself going inthere all the time, but i post once or 2 times. I mostly stick to sex,sex,sex. Its depends on the person. removing chit-chat is not the promblem solver here, its lack of people to help.....
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
Minx
Loyal

Post by Minx »

yup cindys right...chit chat is used to relzx..and if people arent relaxed in my opnion they cant do their best to help..yupers :blink:
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

I definitely agree that we need more people to help. There isn't much which can be done there though, which is why I was saying get the people who are already here and hanging around chit chat into the advice forums to ease the pressure.

Some of them do, some of them don't at all. I understand it is important for relaxing, and changed my viewpoint from removing it entirely.
Kristina
Veteran

Post by Kristina »

There's always someone cooler than you
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

The sex forum has loads of advice pumped into it all the time. It is not unfair to say at all. I said there were "regulars" and 2 of those regulars who have posted the most happen to be Sky and LettingGo who surely must be getting a bit drained by now!!
Kristina
Veteran

Post by Kristina »

ugh Sky and BHO dont really go into the sex forum that much... I bet I have more post in there hten they do
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

This isn't a competition.. just I want to guide people away from chit chat occasionally and into the "wider world of teenhelp.."

Your job is the sex moderator, so of course you're going to have more posts in there than they do. :) Which is a good thing!!
Kristina
Veteran

Post by Kristina »

I didnt say it is a competition but i hate when people are like ugh you guys dont help when we really do
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

I never said you didn't help. I never said anybody didn't help. I'm just saying that some regulars in chit chat should maybe branch out a little if they can manage it so the pressure is lessened on people who are going through the advice forums all the time.
Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

You really can't make people reply to anything.

Most the time they're posting in chit-chat because that's the only place they have something to say.

Not everyone has experienced and knows how to help in depression.

Also, with suicide and self-harm you could get some pretty stupid replies from people who have no idea what to say but we said they SHOULD post in there.

That's not what we want.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image