Should I Go For The Team?

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
sugarhigh543
Loyal

Should I Go For The Team?

Post by sugarhigh543 »

not really sure where this goes, i guess if there was a sports forum lol....

neways, i have been on my schools field hockey team for 3 years and i really like the sport, but... the problem is that our coach is a lil biased. she picks favorites, and its reeeally obvious. i have been on JV for all 3 years even tho i have tried my hardest every year to get better and make varsity. a girl in my grade( junior) just joined the team this year and made varsity right away and was a starter, and she wasnt even that good, she just sucked up to the coach. another girl did not even try out b/c she was injured, but still made varsity. i dont feel like its fair that some ppl on the team have worked there a$$es off for years and are sitting on the bench yet others join the team and after 2 wks they are a varsity starter. but.. sign ups for next years team are soon. it will be my senior yr, and i really want to make varsity, but i know that even if i do i will be a bench warmer, b/c there was only 1 senior that left last year so there is only one starting position up for grabs. the coach doesnt sub at all, so if ur not a starter u basically dont play at all. so idunno if i should even be on the team next year, if i do i know i wont play at all. i dont wanna look like a quitter but i have tried and tried for years and nothing i do is good enough. i also dont want colleges to see on my tanscript that i quit the team before senior year, it wont look very good. i also really like the sport, i just think the coach is unfair and it really upsets me and a lot of other girls on the team. we try just as hard as all the starters yet get no playing time at all. its just unfair and i dont know if i should even bother. what do you guys think??
"IN SPITE OF EVERYTHING, I STILL BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE TRULEY ARE GOOD AT HEART" - Anne Frank[/b]
She
Veteran

Re: Should I Go For The Team?

Post by She »

If you love playing the game, I mean really love it, you'll play. You never know this year, maybe the coach will realize the hard work you've been doing. And even if not, you get the oppertunity to play and get better and be a leader on the JV team. Even if the coach is an idiot, he can't take away the game itself and if you give up now you may never get the chance again. I quit softball in seventh grade because I didn't like anyone on my team, and now I really wish I hadn't because every time I see a softball team playing I wish I could feel that chill you get when the ball hits your glove just right when you catch it, or when the bat strikes the ball just right and you know you've got it. But I stopped practicing and playing, and now I doubt I ever will again. If you love it, don't give it up. You could take this with you to college and beyond, but if you quit you never know what you missed. Good luck!
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8