Work Experience At Dental School

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
junglemonkey
Veteran

Work Experience At Dental School

Post by junglemonkey »

So I want to be a dentist, but theres only two courses in the country and I will have to work really hard to get into one, and probably need to move away from home.

I'm two years away from applying but I need to get some work experience in. I have asked (or rather my mum has) asked three practices if I could come in for a while over the summer. It sounds awesome, but, I now have to write a critical letter to the Dental Hospital as it's a big place where loads of people train.

What should I put in this letter?

How formal should it be? very, I take it?

Should I tell them my grades, hobbies, school...?

Thanks

Lesley xxx
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace
She
Veteran

Re: Work Experience At Dental School

Post by She »

Yes, make it formal, but you can probably deviate a -little- depending on how professional a place this is. Tell them your grades, your reasons for wanting to train, your other qualifications and qualities that would make you good for it, your extracurriculars, your esteem for the dental community or whatnot (try not to kiss TOO much ass though).

Good luck!
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
fire~fly
Loyal

Post by fire~fly »

i would make it more formal than relaxed as you wanna make a good impression but i wouldn;t go over the top with lotsa flowery language as it'll probly end up just sounding silly. just tell them why you are writing, why u want to be a dentist - maybe if there is anything in particular u would like to find out. i would also tell them what school you are at, maybe what subjects you are taking and the grades you hope to get and some of ure hobbies (just proper hobbies tho don;t write that you like hanging out with ure friends cos theyll assume that anyways and it'll just make it look as if ure trying to think of extra things to say)

it might be useful for u (if u can) to speak to some students who are studying dentistry at the moment and find out what sorta experience they did that might give u some ideas. as well as gettign work experience you should maybe do some otherthigns that would make ure application seem special, beforei applied to uni loadsa things were offered in school like tatser days ta uni's in different subjects and even if they aren;t in dentistry it makes u look like a person who has tried lotsa things and doesn;t just sit around doing nothing. other activities such as any clubs u go to will also look favourable on ure application cos it make su look like an interesting person. an important thing to remember is they aren;t just looking for people who are brilliant academically but do nothing else, they are wanting roudned individuals who are good academically but also are interesting people who have good people skills and will make good dentists!

(phew...u see i WAS listening in all those boring pre-application assemblies!)

Good Luck!
junglemonkey
Veteran

Post by junglemonkey »

I posted the letter yesterday so heres hoping!
I traded my dreams for this mess of memories

And they just stopped working for me...

DeviantART Profile (A lame attempt at photography, lol)

Myspace