I Need Some Advice, Please

Are you new to HelpingTeens.org? Feel free to stop in here and introduce yourself! Have a question that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else? Post it here.
nevti-qvam-erro
Loyal

I Need Some Advice, Please

Post by nevti-qvam-erro » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:16 am

i'm sixteen years old, and this is my last year of school. i've skipped two years of school, and so i'll still be sixteen next year when i go to university. (if i go to university)

my dilemma is in deciding what it is i'm going to do with my life next year. the general pressure and probably the best idea is to go to uni. there are two i'm tossing up between, one in the town which my family lives, and one on the other side of the country.

the one on the other side of the country is probably better suited to my needs - there is a great focus down there on the arts, and they have a large LBGT community. it will also, obviously, be much more expensive, because i'll be living away from home. we are not rich, and i doubt my parents would be able to help support me.

i've had some mental health problems in the last year or so - depression and self harm and stuff, i was put in a safe house for a while and blah blah blah.. my last appointment with my psychiatrist is scheduled for two weeks from now.

the pros for staying here would be that it's cheaper, and that i would be near to my godchildren/neice and nephew, who i adore. my home life is ok, aside from my parents constantly fighting and stuff, but that's been my whole life, i can deal.

so is it better to move out into the big wide world or stay here? i don't think my parents think i can handle being by myself, what with everything that's happened. i'm not so sure though. maybe getting away from here, the place where my mental illness grew and stagnated, would be good for me. maybe i'll take better care of myself if i know that no one will be there to pick me up.

then again, maybe i'll just see it as an oppurtunity to truly screw myself up.

i'm really confused, this is just a big.. i don't know. i don't know if there's any advice to be given.
"in the fell clutch of circumstance, i have not winced nor cried aloud,

under the bludgeonings of chance, my head is bloody; but unbowed.

it matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll -

i am the master of my fate. i am the captain of my soul."

- henley.

Hara-Kiri
Veteran

Re: I Need Some Advice, Please

Post by Hara-Kiri » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:59 am

I can see this being moved.

*sighs*

I was kind of under the same situation as you are. I decided to move away, because Im basically tired of living with my family, plus I want to live alone, and be able to deal with my problems by myself.

Whatever your decide to do, make sure its what YOU really want, dont let other people decide for you. Take a look at the goods and bads of moving away or staying at home, then based on that, decide. If you've had mental health problems, make sure that where ever you go, you have someone to support you is case you get depressed etc, which will probably happen cause moving away from home is not always that easy.

Take this as an oportunity to improve yourself, to grow up emotionally, to become a better person than you already are.

Get out there and make yourself proud!

Im sure you'll do great.

1 question.. If you move away, how do you plan to afford this, you say maybe your parents may not be able to support you?

Pm me anytime.
To feel the wind tearing at my clothes, the elements.

The only truth left in a world of lies and hypocrisy.

The beauty of the abyss.

The anticipation, like anticipating the greatest sex, an existential foreplay.

Looking down into oblivion and voidness.

The ground far, far away as it seems from here, but in reality only a couple of seconds away.

Standing there.

Feeling eternity in a restricted world.

Feeling a decision in a prefabricated existence.

Hara-Kiri
Veteran

Post by Hara-Kiri » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:52 pm

Is this really the appropiate place for this?

Um.
To feel the wind tearing at my clothes, the elements.

The only truth left in a world of lies and hypocrisy.

The beauty of the abyss.

The anticipation, like anticipating the greatest sex, an existential foreplay.

Looking down into oblivion and voidness.

The ground far, far away as it seems from here, but in reality only a couple of seconds away.

Standing there.

Feeling eternity in a restricted world.

Feeling a decision in a prefabricated existence.

nevti-qvam-erro
Loyal

Post by nevti-qvam-erro » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:15 pm

i plan to get a biiiiiig student loan *nods*
"in the fell clutch of circumstance, i have not winced nor cried aloud,

under the bludgeonings of chance, my head is bloody; but unbowed.

it matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll -

i am the master of my fate. i am the captain of my soul."

- henley.