People Assume Things About Be Because I'm A Girl.

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Amphiptere
Dedicated

People Assume Things About Be Because I'm A Girl.

Post by Amphiptere »

Today when I went to buy a copy of 'Johnny the Homicidal Maniac: Director's Cut' at my local comic book store. As one can see by the name, it's a very violent comic. I took it up to the till, and the person working there said "Who are you giving this too?" I was a little confused, but then he said "Because I know it isn't for YOU. Aren't you girls into that romance stuff?"

I was really shocked. I don't really look like a stereotypical girl. I don't wear dresses or make-up or anything like that. Still, the guy assumed that because I'm a girl, I was into romance and wouldn't enjoy a violent comic book. (I DID enjoy it, by the way.) The stereotype is obvious here: Girls are only interested in plot and relationships an dislike violence.

Not true. I mean, sure, some do, and I have nothing against them, it's just not right to assume that all girls do. Yes, my comic was violent, and yes, I enjoyed that. Yes, it had a plot, and I enjoyed that too.

Another bit about the relationship thing, in my school, the class I was in last year had mostly girls. My friend's class had mostly boys. We had to partner up for almost every activity in English. My friend's class rarely had partner activities in English. We both have the same English teacher. I may not be right, but this might be the assumption that girls like to work in groups.

I hate working in groups. That means you have to be organized. I'm not organized. You have to schedule a time to work with the group. I don't schedule, plus I don't like leaving my house after school. I much prefer doing individual projects because then you can always count on yourself to get it done, and don't have to worry about other group members forgeting thier stuff.

Well, okay, I don't totally hate group work. I don't mind working in pairs(no more then two!) with my friends. The problem is, I'm not that social. I have three friends in my class. And I think the teacher has a grudge against me, because even though he knows we're friends, I never get paired with a friend. This is supposedly to encourage 'social interaction'. What the hell? School is a place to get an education. When did it become a place of social interaction? Is working with people who I don't really like going to make me smarter?

Okay, there's my long post. Sorry if there is a forum for this, but as I said, I'm new. Also sorry I got a little off topic sometimes.
I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.
Dino
Loyal

Re: People Assume Things About Be Because I'm A Girl.

Post by Dino »

I dont think you post in the wrong forum. Dont worry, if its not supposed to be here some1 will move it for you.

yeah i hate stereotypes too. People shouldnt assume... and traditional stereotypes are often easier for guys than for girls.

and going to stores... I think I much prefer to have the person at the counter talk to me... especailly not questioning me like that... it makes me really uncomfortable when being talked to when Im not expected to talk.
"Nothing happened to a man that he is not formed by nature to bear"
Ashley
Loyal

Post by Ashley »

Jhonen Vasquez is a god.
yzarc
daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

There is a big difference between stereotypes and ignorance.
Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

Stereotypes suck! People assume that i'm going to act all macho b/c I'm a boy, but that's just not me. I especially hate gender stereotypes. Wish I could help you, but I can't change society, babe. ;)
-Sam!
She
Veteran

Post by She »

Yeah, some people are just idiots. I think it's fun to prove them wrong though. In fifth grade on the bus to a field trip a couple guys were playing Mario on gameboy. I asked if I could play and finally they let me because "She's a girl, she'll die soon anyways." I got farther then all the rest of them and at one point had about twenty lives. It rocked :D

I'm the same way. I don't ever wear make-up, my hair goes in a ponytail all the time because it's easy to maintain, I wear jeans and unisex t-shirts a lot of the time, violence is hilarious and romantic crap is, well, crap, and I love scifi, action movies, video games, computers, dirty jokes, et cetera. I've gotten crap for it too, but mostly it's funny to prove them wrong. Because, hah, I know more about computers than you and I'm a chick. It's quite ego damaging for some guys, as I understand it.
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

I think computer girls are sexy, lol, and no, I'm not flirting! (Rule 4, oy vey!). Okay, anyway, that is really cool about the game boy. People always thought of me as girly b/c I wasn't into sports and stuff, but I'll show them someday when I'm successful and happier than they are with their pathetic jock-who-broke-his-leg-and-ended-his-carreer lives! I really ought to throw in a "MWHAHAHAHAHA" here.
-Sam!