Recommended Movies

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Brad
Veteran

Recommended Movies

Post by Brad »

Equilibrium - If you like John Woo gunfights, you'll love this movie. I daresay much better gunfighting than both Matrix movies. The plot isn't too bad either.

Way of the Gun - A personal favorite of mine. The plot is quite good, in my opinion. And the gunfights are some of the most realistic I've seen in a movie.

Heat - Nice cast lineup, and they all do an excellent job. Great crime show, though quite long. Gunfights are done extremely well, too. And there's one street battle that makes it worth the rent.

Fight Club - Everyone's probably seen it, but if you haven't, what are you waiting for?

Boondock Saints - A couple of Irish guys wage a two-man war against the mob. What more could you ask for? Funny and action-packed, you should watch it with a lot of friends.

The Thin Red Line - Excellent war movie. Not really an action movie per se, but if you're looking for a deep look at the inherent good within the human soul, you can't go wrong with this flick.

Apocalypse Now - About the opposite of The Thin Red Line, this show delves into the depths of evil inherent within the human psyche, and masterfully exposes and explores it.

*Update* - All movies are now lumped together, no more genre headings.

Donnie Darko - Brilliant movie. Absolutely brilliant. Psychological. Not for the immature, because you need to be a thinker to truly appreciate it.

Cube - I rather liked this movie, may not be for everyone. I suggest renting it though.

Last of the Mohicans - I really liked this movie. Nice action/adventure. And the last 25 minutes is some of the best climax seen in movie-making. Rent it. No question.

Scarface - The birth of the phrase "say hello to my little friend!". Al Pacino is superb in this drug-crime movie. Great show.

*Update*

Treed Murray - An excellent movie. Great acting. Good psychological games played.

The Rock - Watch it if you like action films. That is all.

The Exorcist - Recent Release - One of the original scary films. I loved it. The spiderwalk left me sleepless for days.
Democracy. It rolls off the tongue nicely. Better than others. I can say it, spell it, define it, but can?t admit to ever believing it. So convoluted has it become that it has mesmerized generations into a comma of perfect sublimity. You dance to the music of your youth, identify with your own memory, become a time capsule of numb comfort. And there, mired in the exhaustion of a life in progress, you surrender your right to question for the luxury of not being bothered.

- Matt Good
FryGuy
Veteran

Re: Recommended Movies

Post by FryGuy »

Fight Club and Boondock Saints are two of my favorite movies. Though I'm not really sure if Fight Club falls into the "action movie" genre. It's more of a psychological drama with a few action scenes.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

One million deaths is a statistic" ~Joseph Stalin
Ashley
Loyal

Post by Ashley »

I loved Fight Club. it was nothing I expected it to be. I need to get it on DVD...
yzarc
iAmAStreaker
Veteran

Post by iAmAStreaker »

:blink:
<span style="font-family:Arial"i'm sveta; pleased to meet you.
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

This isn't quite a movie, but I suggest watching the 'Band of Brothers' series. Find someone who has the DVD's, and watch all the shows. It'll be worth it.

They do a great job of conveying the action and confusion of World War II.
Democracy. It rolls off the tongue nicely. Better than others. I can say it, spell it, define it, but can?t admit to ever believing it. So convoluted has it become that it has mesmerized generations into a comma of perfect sublimity. You dance to the music of your youth, identify with your own memory, become a time capsule of numb comfort. And there, mired in the exhaustion of a life in progress, you surrender your right to question for the luxury of not being bothered.

- Matt Good
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Oh, and if you only watch one film from my list above, I think it should be Apocalypse Now.

This movie is frickin' brilliant. The acting is awesome. And the plot is spectacular. I loved it.

- Matt Good
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

Movies I Recommend:

Requim For a Dream- Great film about addiction, very depressing, but a beautiful film

Go- A funny movie about one night, and the different experiances of the characters in that night

SLC Punk- Combination between comedy and drama, it takes a look at the life of the Salt Lake City punk scene and anarchy.

Evil Dead- One of the best classic horror movies of all time

Evil Dead 2- Starts off as horror and ends as comedy

Army of Darkness- The creator gave up on the whole horror aspect of the series and the end result is the hilarious "horror" movie

Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back- I'm not going to go into the individual plots of these films, but I will say they are all comic masterpeices. Kevin Smith is one of the best Writer/Directors I have ever seen. All of these movies are interconnected and all of them are great films.

I'm sorry my list isn't as detailed as Brads, but I still recommend seeing these movies if you haven't yet.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

One million deaths is a statistic" ~Joseph Stalin
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Oh yeah, I forgot about Requiem For a Dream. That's a good one.

- Matt Good