That Darn Worm

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Kiyotie
Veteran

That Darn Worm

Post by Kiyotie »

Friday, August 15, 2003 Posted: 11:35 AM EDT (1535 GMT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Microsoft has defended its handling of the "Blaster" crisis and says it expects to defeat an attack on its Web site.

Hundreds of thousands of users worldwide have been hit by the worm which shuts down Internet browsers. Now it is programmed to attack Microsoft's Web site.

Having lodged into computers, the worm, called "MSBlaster" or "LoveSAN," deposits a program called a trojan onto the computer's hard disc.

On Saturday, that program is due to send data to windowsupdate.microsoft.com, the site Microsoft uses for updates of its Windows operating system that runs most of the world's computers.

The hackers who unleashed the worm hope to knock Microsoft's site offline.

Stuart Okin, chief security strategist for Microsoft UK, said he expected the attack to fail, but added: "We have contingency plans in place to make sure we can keep up and running if there's an issue."

The worm took advantage of a flaw in Microsoft's security to cause disruption in homes and offices this week.

"We knew this was an issue about a month ago," Okin told CNN. "We discovered the vulnerability. We knew it was only a matter of time before someone came out with a worm or virus."

Okin said a patch that can be downloaded to stop the worm was developed in time and many customers used it. Some had their anti-virus software updated automatically.

But many thousands of other customers did not know of the danger or how to stop it until it was too late.

"You do your best to get the communication out there and wave the flag," said Okin.

He said 40 million users had downloaded the patch over the last two weeks and urged others to do the same via the updates site -- the same one the hackers want to bring down.

The FBI is investigating the source of the worm, but the culprit is not known.

According to security firm TrendMicro, the worm's text includes the message: "I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!! Billy Gates why do you make this possible? Stop making money and fix your software!!"

Courtesy of http://www.cnn.com
Whatever our failings may be, we need not lower our eyes in the presence of Jesus...Jesus comes not for the super-spiritual but for the wobbly and the weak-kneed who know they don't have it all together, and who are not too proud to accept the handout of amazing grace. As we glance up, we are astonished to find the eyes of Jesus open with wonder, deep with understanding, and gentle with compassion.

Cormamin lindua ele lle, Heruamin.
Emily
Veteran

Re: That Darn Worm

Post by Emily »

I downloaded the patch last week.

I'm good.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image
four
Veteran

Post by four »

I have a good firewall blocking the ports that it would come in on, so I am alright anyways.
NAAM
stoplooking
Loyal

Post by stoplooking »

We had that. We had to blank the computer and reinstall windows and all that crap. But its gone now. We got some hella good virus stuff.
Teardrop
Loyal

Post by Teardrop »

If people actually installed the patch when it came out over a month ago, nobody would have had this problem.
i watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor.

that's my dream, that's my nightmare.

crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving.
four
Veteran

Post by four »

Originally posted by Teardrop@Aug 20 2003, 11:28 AM

If people actually installed the patch when it came out over a month ago, nobody would have had this problem.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You make me laugh. Alot. How many people actually do that? I know I do not. I still have not installed it.
NAAM
Teardrop
Loyal

Post by Teardrop »

The people who did wouldn't have been affected by the worm. Ergo, these people are sensible. What's so funny? The majority of PC users are retards who wouldn't even know how to patch their machine, let alone consider doing it.

The Brillo Pad of Agony
Veteran

Post by The Brillo Pad of Agony »

Originally posted by four@Aug 21 2003, 12:01 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You make me laugh. Alot. How many people actually do that? I know I do not. I still have not installed it.
I do it. This computer cost me a lot of money, I'd like it functioning for as long as possible, ideally.
<span style=\'color:red\'~*=I AM WANT TO DIE=*~
four
Veteran

Post by four »

I threw this one together for a couple bucks, but she is my baby. I could reformat the whole hard drive and have it back to what I want in about 2 hours though, could rebuild the whole thing in a few hours if need be... No biggie if it gets messed up a little.
NAAM
Teardrop
Loyal

Post by Teardrop »

So could any competent PC user. What's the point in risking having to reformat over downloading a small patch and installing it?

four
Veteran

Post by four »

Temporary laziness? Gambling?
NAAM
Teardrop
Loyal

Post by Teardrop »

gr8 m8