Crossfire: George W. Bush.

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Cuttooth
Loyal

Crossfire: George W. Bush.

Post by Cuttooth »

A few questions to ask about our leader:

1. How did President Bush win Florida? (Some hints, new laws excluding poor citizens of Florida to vote, a friend of the Bush's who was the final decision on stopping the recounts in the Supreme court)

2. "President Bush has handled the economic crisis very well" His tax cuts, yes, are good for America. They provide more money for spending and thusly, a burst in business and jobs. However, Companies have been able to hold out on hiring more people..while still making the same amount of money. In other words, those wealthy leaders in America are...benefitting? The question is, are his tax cuts benefial?

3. How did President Bush handle the September 11th attacks?

4. What was our goal in invading Afghanistan, and, was it fulfilled?

5. Fact: President Bush has the worst economic record since President Hoover in 1929..when the stock market crashed. Has Bush handled the recession well? Keep in mind that big business scandels such as Enron (with whom the Bush family was affiliated with) have a large influence on the economy.

6. What were our motives for going into Iraq? Have they been fulfilled? (Keep in mind again, that the UN officially declared Iraq free of WMDs)

7. President Bush has the single worst environmental record in Presidential history. Now, we know he is no villian, but do you think his reasoning for his environmental negligence is just?

8. What is one successful thing that our President has done since being in office?

The world is Godless and thus meaningless.

But, I like shopping!
Brad
Veteran

Re: Crossfire: George W. Bush.

Post by Brad »

Oh, fun.

1. Too much to say here, I suggest going to http://www.michaelmoore.com (I'm pretty sure he explains it in full there).

2. That's almost a rhetorical question!

3. For the warhawks: superbly. For everyone else: horribly.

4. Combat terrorism was the main goal. It wasn't accomplished, in fact, quite the opposite. There is more anti-US sentiments around the world than ever before. Good job, Prez.

5. Again, another rhetorical question, heh. $87 billion for the reconstruction of Iraq? Oy...

6. WMD's were the reason, and there are none.

7. No. He could've re-directed defense and military spending into greater environmental aid, among other things.

8. I'm thinking, I'm thinking...

Damn.
Democracy. It rolls off the tongue nicely. Better than others. I can say it, spell it, define it, but can?t admit to ever believing it. So convoluted has it become that it has mesmerized generations into a comma of perfect sublimity. You dance to the music of your youth, identify with your own memory, become a time capsule of numb comfort. And there, mired in the exhaustion of a life in progress, you surrender your right to question for the luxury of not being bothered.

- Matt Good
Cuttooth
Loyal

Post by Cuttooth »

But, I like shopping!
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

I'll rephrase the second question, do you think that because the wealthy have more money in their pockets, the nation will be more benefitted?

I would have to say, no. They keep getting richer and the poorer are having an even harder time than normal.

Although I don't believe Bush's environmental actions are just, I DO believe that he was in a political knot. You said he could've re-directed defense and military spending into greater environmental aid, etc. yes, that would have been ideal. However, the companies that provide the Bush campaigns with the most money are, obviously, republican and are oil, industry related. Thus, environmental sanctions can be painful. Bush, politically, had to do these things. And he had to do them even more radically (most in one week) because his polls are down.

What really irks me is that the leader of the most powerful nation of earth can be controlled politically by large companies. It just seems to me that the principle of the whole concept is wrong.

Even though he is obligated to do these things does not make it right.

Now then, as for re-directing funding from defense, he does not neccessarily need to send it to environmental budgets. There are a multitude of things he could do with that money. Health care, education, etc. I don't think the oil companies would have a major issue with that...

Oh, wait. Iraq means oil. To take Iraq you need military. Damn.

The whole mess is just depressing.
Democracy. It rolls off the tongue nicely. Better than others. I can say it, spell it, define it, but can?t admit to ever believing it. So convoluted has it become that it has mesmerized generations into a comma of perfect sublimity. You dance to the music of your youth, identify with your own memory, become a time capsule of numb comfort. And there, mired in the exhaustion of a life in progress, you surrender your right to question for the luxury of not being bothered.

- Matt Good
Cuttooth
Loyal

Post by Cuttooth »

Originally posted by Brad@Oct 1 2003, 12:00 AM

I'll rephrase the second question, do you think that because the wealthy have more money in their pockets, the nation will be more benefitted?

I would have to say, no. They keep getting richer and the poorer are having an even harder time than normal.

Although I don't believe Bush's environmental actions are just, I DO believe that he was in a political knot. You said he could've re-directed defense and military spending into greater environmental aid, etc. yes, that would have been ideal. However, the companies that provide the Bush campaigns with the most money are, obviously, republican and are oil, industry related. Thus, environmental sanctions can be painful. Bush, politically, had to do these things. And he had to do them even more radically (most in one week) because his polls are down.

What really irks me is that the leader of the most powerful nation of earth can be controlled politically by large companies. It just seems to me that the principle of the whole concept is wrong.

Even though he is obligated to do these things does not make it right.

Now then, as for re-directing funding from defense, he does not neccessarily need to send it to environmental budgets. There are a multitude of things he could do with that money. Health care, education, etc. I don't think the oil companies would have a major issue with that...

Oh, wait. Iraq means oil. To take Iraq you need military. Damn.

The whole mess is just depressing.

We're only the most powerful country because we are the wealthiest country..so it kind of makes sense that the most powerful man, who lives in the most powerful country, is held there by large business. The largest businesses in the world, too.

But, I like shopping!
Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

Katherine Harris, dragon lady, let Bush win Florida. She was Fla's Att. Gen, and involved in the Bush campaign. Hmm... no conflict of interest there... GOD DAMNED REPUBLICANS!
-Sam!
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

We're only the most powerful country because we are the wealthiest country..so it kind of makes sense that the most powerful man, who lives in the most powerful country, is held there by large business. The largest businesses in the world, too.

Okay, this is starting to lean towards a debate of principles. But that's okay.

In my mind, yes it does make sense, logically. But fundamentally, morally, ethically, it is wrong. A president should be impartial and not influenced by the large corporations. His sole interest should be the American people's. Monetary gain should not be the ultimate reasoning behind his decisions.

- Matt Good
Cuttooth
Loyal

Post by Cuttooth »

Originally posted by Brad@Oct 1 2003, 07:07 PM

Okay, this is starting to lean towards a debate of principles. But that's okay.

In my mind, yes it does make sense, logically. But fundamentally, morally, ethically, it is wrong. A president should be impartial and not influenced by the large corporations. His sole interest should be the American people's. Monetary gain should not be the ultimate reasoning behind his decisions.

I agree, but it seems as it was bound to go this way. "If we can make the government do this for us, we'll make more money."

But, I like shopping!
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Indeed. Unfortunate, but just another fault in the concept of government.

- Matt Good