Most Over-rated Band?

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

OurLadyOfSorrows
Needs Another Hobby

Re: Most Over-rated Band?

Post by OurLadyOfSorrows »

Taking Back Sunday aren't over-rated...

I think this has somewhat to do with where we live. In America i'm guessing Taking Back Sunday are more well known if you know who they are.
I can resist everything except temptation - Silverstein
Stephanie
Loyal

Post by Stephanie »

Meh. I dont like Tatu much, or N Sync. Bsb is aight though.
Never, ever let somebody lead you to believe for even just one moment that you are not completely beautiful!
She Lay Gutted
Veteran

Post by She Lay Gutted »

Did you even read the posts, Stephanie? We're NOT talking about bands you dislike!

GAH!
"So when I disapear,

She will still be here...

Sifting my remains through the ashes.

She's not ordinary.

She's just. like. me." - Bottom Feeder [Project 86]

Zarie
Veteran

Post by Zarie »

Honestly, I think all bands are overrated. The only ones I don't think are overrated are classical music bands and jazz bands. Do you even know how much talent it takes to play classical or jazz music? Years and years and years of dedication. They were really popular, until somebody invented the Synthesizer and it kinda went downhill from there. People started relying on electronics to do all the work for them. Britney Spears is a great example of that. All she does is dance and resizes her boobs every now and then depending on her outfit. Other than that, electronics does the rest for her.

myspace profile + my livejournal

Rocco: Fucking... What the fuck. Who the fuck fucked this fucking... How did you two fucking fucks... FUCK.

Connor: Well, that certainly illustrates the diversity of the word.
itsme
Veteran

Post by itsme »

Originally posted by Mandaz@Jan 4 2004, 11:54 PM

taking back sunday is a crazy over here.. it's like "oh i like taking back sunday i'm punk" kinda thing it's annoying...
Yeah in Ny everyone loves them.

I think it depends on really where you live to say that somethings overated. Most people in Ny hate radiohead, and i love them. So i guess that why i'm not understanding how they are overated. I only know two people who like Radiohead.
PICTURES.

"Picture the scene, where whatever you thought, would in the blink of an eye manifest and become illustrated. You'd be sure man that every line drawn reflected a life that you loved not an existence that you hated."- incubus

"I'm Sick of Painting in Black and White. My Pen is dry, now I'm uptight. So sick of limiting myself to fit your definition. Redefine."- incubus
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

I think that Eminem is way over rated!
iAmAStreaker
Veteran

Post by iAmAStreaker »

Whether music is overrated or not isn't simply down to opinion.

Of course it's down to opinion. Everyone has their own opinion on what they find overrated. Everyone is touched by music in a different way, so everyone will have different opinions on it. Everyone has a different opinion on what is talented and what is not. You act like what you find overrated is correct. Not exactly. A lot of people will disagree, because they have different opinions on what is overrated and what is not. What you say is YOUR opinion, so stop making it sound like that is the final decision.
<span style="font-family:Arial"i'm sveta; pleased to meet you.
Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

Originally posted by iAmAStreaker@Jan 7 2004, 02:38 AM

Of course it's down to opinion. Everyone has their own opinion on what they find overrated. Everyone is touched by music in a different way, so everyone will have different opinions on it. Everyone has a different opinion on what is talented and what is not. You act like what you find overrated is correct. Not exactly. A lot of people will disagree, because they have different opinions on what is overrated and what is not. What you say is YOUR opinion, so stop making it sound like that is the final decision.

Of course you're wrong.

If anyone actually put some thought into this they'd look at it from a nonbias opinion. They'd steop out of the bubble and really look at what's overrated and what's not.

Of course.

:santa:
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image
crazycanuck

Post by crazycanuck »

hmm i disagre with the person that said all non-classical or jazz is overated neways, not every non clasical band is over-rated..... have u ever heard steve vai.... thats sickly good...... takes a ton of skill and practice, n years of dedication to get that good too.. n britney spears, shes a crappy singer, but like, she dances, n does a prtty half decent show neways, but she gets by alot on her looks 2.... thats my opinion neways, peace
E_D_N_A
Loyal

Post by E_D_N_A »

Originally posted by ~*~AiM_uSeR~*~@Jan 6 2004, 06:35 PM

I think that Eminem is way over rated!

thank you!!!

SIMPLE PLAN

GOODCHARLOTTE - although i do like one song of theirs

LIMP BIZ...how ever you spell it we all know they are

anything thats rap - im sorry i think that anyone who sings about hookers drugs and sex is a tad no screw that way overratted

now im sorry if i affended any of you wiht my opinion but thats how i feel so dont shoot me for it! :D
*ALCOHOLIC GEEK WHORE*<

sindy's mom: my daughet is the star of the show

jimmy's dad: shes macbethe?

sindy's mom: no..shes wa witch...

jimmy's mom : so i've heard..

lmao!! i love that
The Brillo Pad of Agony
Veteran

Post by The Brillo Pad of Agony »

Originally posted by iAmAStreaker+Jan 7 2004, 02:38 AM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (iAmAStreaker @ Jan 7 2004, 02:38 AM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'

Of course it's down to opinion. Everyone has their own opinion on what they find overrated. Everyone is touched by music in a different way, so everyone will have different opinions on it. Everyone has a different opinion on what is talented and what is not. You act like what you find overrated is correct. Not exactly. A lot of people will disagree, because they have different opinions on what is overrated and what is not. What you say is YOUR opinion, so stop making it sound like that is the final decision.[/b]

Like Emily said, you're wrong. It's that simple. Everyone is indeed affected by music in a different way, and people will have their different opinions, but that's an entire different subject and really has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Have you heard of looking at things objectively? It's quite a handy thing to learn.

People do have different opinions on what is overrated and/or talented, yes. Opinions can be wrong, however. A fact that seems to be obscured by how politically fucking correct this place has become over time. The only thing that can have any real grounds when it comes to your opinion on a subject like this is the area in which you live, and whether the band is well-received there or not. Talent on the other hand isn't at all subjective at all, and I have no idea where the hell you got that idea from. There are a lot of grey areas when it comes to talent, like just how much work goes in, natural talent, etc etc. I might think Timmy Mallett is a talented musician, but if I did, I'd be wrong.

And still, you seem think I have this opinion just to piss some people off. Nope. A lot of your precious bands are too highly thought of for their level of songwriting ability/talent. So are many of my favourites. It doesn't phase me, I don't care. You can rant at me all day about how Linkin Park or whatever aren't overrated, but you'd be wrong. It isn't just because I don't like them, that isn't important. I love Led Zeppelin, and you can tell me they're overrated and I will wholeheartedly agree with you.

It's nice to see that you haven't changed, and will still launch yourself at my posts and pick them apart in a half-arsed fashion that doesn't really work. The things I regard as overrated are overrated, at the very least for the area in which I live, or the areas in which I'm familiar with popular opinion. This entire topic is a lot more black and white than you evidently seem to think. I advise you to think for yourself, and to stop being afraid of having an opinion that might cause a stir.

<!--QuoteBegin-E_D_N_A

now im sorry if i affended any of you wiht my opinion but thats how i feel so dont shoot me for it![/quote]

I see too much of this overapologetic bollocks here. You had a point with your post. For the love of God, are you all so insecure in your opinions that you have to constantly reassure everyone that you don't really have a point of view that's worth anything? Stand by what you think, for fuck's sake.
<span style=\'color:red\'~*=I AM WANT TO DIE=*~
Sk8r_4_LiFe
Veteran

Post by Sk8r_4_LiFe »

Originally posted by The Brillo Pad of Agony+Jan 7 2004, 12:47 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (The Brillo Pad of Agony @ Jan 7 2004, 12:47 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'
Originally posted by iAmAStreaker@Jan 7 2004, 02:38 AM

Like Emily said, you're wrong. It's that simple. Everyone is indeed affected by music in a different way, and people will have their different opinions, but that's an entire different subject and really has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Have you heard of looking at things objectively? It's quite a handy thing to learn.

People do have different opinions on what is overrated and/or talented, yes. Opinions can be wrong, however. A fact that seems to be obscured by how politically fucking correct this place has become over time. The only thing that can have any real grounds when it comes to your opinion on a subject like this is the area in which you live, and whether the band is well-received there or not. Talent on the other hand isn't at all subjective at all, and I have no idea where the hell you got that idea from. There are a lot of grey areas when it comes to talent, like just how much work goes in, natural talent, etc etc. I might think Timmy Mallett is a talented musician, but if I did, I'd be wrong.

And still, you seem think I have this opinion just to piss some people off. Nope. A lot of your precious bands are too highly thought of for their level of songwriting ability/talent. So are many of my favourites. It doesn't phase me, I don't care. You can rant at me all day about how Linkin Park or whatever aren't overrated, but you'd be wrong. It isn't just because I don't like them, that isn't important. I love Led Zeppelin, and you can tell me they're overrated and I will wholeheartedly agree with you.

It's nice to see that you haven't changed, and will still launch yourself at my posts and pick them apart in a half-arsed fashion that doesn't really work. The things I regard as overrated are overrated, at the very least for the area in which I live, or the areas in which I'm familiar with popular opinion. This entire topic is a lot more black and white than you evidently seem to think. I advise you to think for yourself, and to stop being afraid of having an opinion that might cause a stir.

<!--QuoteBegin-E_D_N_A

now im sorry if i affended any of you wiht my opinion but thats how i feel so dont shoot me for it!

I see too much of this overapologetic bollocks here. You had a point with your post. For the love of God, are you all so insecure in your opinions that you have to constantly reassure everyone that you don't really have a point of view that's worth anything? Stand by what you think, for fuck's sake.[/b][/quote]

im sorry Brillo i have to disagree with u on a few points.

Music is all subjective, there is no outside force that says this certain music is good and this certain music is bad. think about it this way, what if the world changed and say for example Mozart fucking was a rap artist, and rap became like the basis of music, surely in the future rap wouldnt be considered rap itd be classical. Genres, talent, its all subjective. if the whole music industry just one day was brainwashed into thinking heavy metal really should be called Hip-hop, then heavy metal would be hip-hop.

i do agree though that as it is now, bands being overrated is come to a point where its basically almost objective truth. it is not a fact, because lets look at the defenition of what overrated music is. Overrated music is a musical piece or artist that is considered better than that song or band in question really is. but how do we say a band or song is good. we never really can, because to some people certain genres of music is good and certain genres are horrible. for example u know i love Pink Floyd and i know u have a penchant for Pink Floyd as well, as similarly with many thousands if not millions of people out there in this world that think the same thing. but does one persons feelings for Pink Floyd or one million peoples feelings for Pink Floyd make this a fact that Pink Floyd has a measurable amount of goodness. no, its popularity, thus said there is no such thing as being overrated, because u cant measure how good a band really is if its different to each person that hears it and then u cant expect to take this immeasurable quantity of goodness and equal it to their popularity.

thus overrated and underrated just dont exist objectively, its all subjective. its how we feel how GOOD a band is compared to how POPULAR they really are. and dont get all fuckin stupid and say all popular bands suck because thats ridiculous, but then again thats ur opinion, go eat a cake and be happy.

thus ive expressed my opinion on the matter, now shoot me.
Me: So do you like, HIM?

Rosca: No way, they suck. . .

Me: How can you say that, they're love METAL

Rosca: They ain't Metal!

Me: Well they probably get more women than we will ever in our lives combined

Rosca: Yea cause they're gay. . .
iAmAStreaker
Veteran

Post by iAmAStreaker »

Thank you Paul. You said exactly what I've been thinking.
<span style="font-family:Arial"i'm sveta; pleased to meet you.
The Brillo Pad of Agony
Veteran

Post by The Brillo Pad of Agony »

Originally posted by Sk8r_4_LiFe@Jan 7 2004, 05:33 PM

Music is all subjective, there is no outside force that says this certain music is good and this certain music is bad. think about it this way, what if the world changed and say for example Mozart fucking was a rap artist, and rap became like the basis of music, surely in the future rap wouldnt be considered rap itd be classical. Genres, talent, its all subjective. if the whole music industry just one day was brainwashed into thinking heavy metal really should be called Hip-hop, then heavy metal would be hip-hop.

While I do see where you're coming from, and it's an interesting point, I'd say there is very definitely bad music and good music. As for you bringing up genres, I'm not entirely sure why you did, since that's not really much to do with what we're on about here. Talent, however.. I'm afraid I can't accept that talent is subjective. There are a great many shades of grey in that area, and perhaps I was being a little too quick, and could've explained better. Hey, I was pissed off. Anyway. At the same time as there being lots of shades of grey, there is also very definitely black and white.

Fair enough, it's very difficult to guage songwriting because as you say, some things will automatically sound better to other people. Songwriting isn't the only talent you can have, however. Although integral, there are a great many other factors involved in creating music. These aren't subjective. Joe Satriani, as much as I loathe the man is truly an incredible guitarist. It's absolutely impossible to argue that say, Liam Gallagher is better, because well, he just isn't.

but how do we say a band or song is good. we never really can, because to some people certain genres of music is good and certain genres are horrible.

It's possible. Like I said, if you review it without bias and stand apart from your own opinion of it, then it's entirely possible to guage how good a band or song is. Obviously, you're never going to get it exact. I will agree that to a point that good/bad music is subjective, just not as much as people are saying.

for example u know i love Pink Floyd and i know u have a penchant for Pink Floyd as well, as similarly with many thousands if not millions of people out there in this world that think the same thing. but does one persons feelings for Pink Floyd or one million peoples feelings for Pink Floyd make this a fact that Pink Floyd has a measurable amount of goodness. no, its popularity, thus said there is no such thing as being overrated, because u cant measure how good a band really is if its different to each person that hears it and then u cant expect to take this immeasurable quantity of goodness and equal it to their popularity.

Like I said, you can't be exact, but you can make a pretty good estimate.

and dont get all fuckin stupid and say all popular bands suck because thats ridiculous, but then again thats ur opinion, go eat a cake and be happy.

I never said all popular bands suck, mate. Most of the bands I love were popular as hell back in their own time and there is still good commercial music being made today. Just a lot less.

thus ive expressed my opinion on the matter, now shoot me.

I'm not going to shoot anyone that's going to provide me with a constructive argument. I just resent people posting shit that just tells me I'm wrong with no evidence as to why I might be. *Cough*

But yeah. Overall, I can see where you're coming from, and you've made an impact on my thoughts on the subject. You make a good argument, mister. *Claps*
<span style=\'color:red\'~*=I AM WANT TO DIE=*~
Sk8r_4_LiFe
Veteran

Post by Sk8r_4_LiFe »

yea brillo i mean i agree with u too, that now we look at it from an unbais point that u cant point out which is good and which is bad, however, what is good and bad is what i was trying to point out, that if we were living in a bizarro universe things would be different or a different age for that matter. more than a half a century ago, anything sounding distorted would be considered as a bad no talent, can't connect notes, it sux. distortion now adays, could be considered a great way to make trash into something that sounds really good. that was wat i was trying to get to. oh n i know u were pissed off i was playing on that like a ant on the edge of a knife.

Sk8r_4_LiFe
Veteran

Post by Sk8r_4_LiFe »

Originally posted by itsme+Jan 6 2004, 12:54 AM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (itsme @ Jan 6 2004, 12:54 AM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-Mandaz@Jan 4 2004, 11:54 PM

taking back sunday is a crazy over here.. it's like "oh i like taking back sunday i'm punk" kinda thing it's annoying...
Yeah in Ny everyone loves them.

I think it depends on really where you live to say that somethings overated. Most people in Ny hate radiohead, and i love them. So i guess that why i'm not understanding how they are overated. I only know two people who like Radiohead.[/b][/quote]

three people in ny

me ;)

OurLadyOfSorrows
Needs Another Hobby

Post by OurLadyOfSorrows »