Grunge

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Toast960
Loyal

Grunge

Post by Toast960 »

I had a long conversation with a friend on weather or not grunge was still alive because Courtney Love said in an interview that it is very much alive but I feel that grunge died off when Kurt Cobain killed himself. Yet I do see grunge around music in many forms. So then there's the arguement of grunge surviving as punk did. Granted the initial punk movement died with the break-up of The Sex Pistols and the beginning of the eighties, punk did go on. However I haven't really seen any really current grunge group come out that is a new act with no connections to initial grunge rockers. So I ask you all, is Grunge still alive or did it die off in the nineties?
To Liz, my one and only - May our love last forever :)

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.." - Jack Kerouac, "On The Road"
Ashley
Loyal

Re: Grunge

Post by Ashley »

I don't think it's dead just because Kurt died ... I think it just died like everything else eventually does.
yzarc
Isabel
Loyal

Post by Isabel »

Kurt just kind of put it out there. I think its kinda still there.

I know of Grunge people. SO ITS STILL ALIVE.
The pressures and demands: Staring at the Knife.

Holding in your hand: What used to be your Life.

Pictures of me
ice queen
Loyal

Post by ice queen »

Is it wrong to get semi pissed off when people automatically think sex pistols when the word punk is mentioned?

The initial PUBLICISED punk movement died with the break up of the sex pistols.

Pistols were not the only punk band of their time, so why would it be that when they broke up punk movement ceased to exist?

I don't go around talking about the history of rock or metal when i don't know anything about it so i sugest others don't about Punk.

This was not meant as a nasty post. You learn something new everyday.
"It's amazing i won. I was running against peace, prosperity, and incumbency." -George W. Bush (speaking to Swedish PM unaware a Live TV camera was still rolling.)

Why do i need a Psycho with a Chainsaw when I have Myself?
Toast960
Loyal

Post by Toast960 »

Well the reason I said the INITIAL punk movement died with The Sex Pistols was because around the time they fell, most of the punk bands began either folding as well or expanding into other genres and basically becoming new wave acts. Some of those bands include The Police, Blondie, The Clash, and The Jam, all of which were great punk bands when they started (I know some may argue with me on what you'd consider new wave but consider those bands later songs like "Rock The Casbah", "Wrapped Around Your Finger", "Town Called Malice", and "The Tide Is High") Some went on to solo careers posing as punks i.e. Billy Idol (even though he was an original punk) and with all the initial punk bands folding around the break-up of The Pistols or shortly afterwards ('80 - '83) many new, great punk acts formed and continued the legacy of punk along with some of the original bands who were still together including The Pixies, Husker Du, Black Flag, and Dead Kennedys as well as many great post-punk acts like Public Image Limited, Big Audio Dynamite, U2 (although they had gotten started in the '70s), The Cure, and Joy Division, and of course, grunge acts like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc.

But people mostly associate the fall of punk with the break-up of The Sex Pistols, just as people associate the fall of grunge with Nirvana. Both bands were very good but over publicized because they were so forcefully put in the limelight causing both bands to self destruct (yes, Nirvana was heading towards a break-up around the time of "In Utero". Krist, Dave, and even Courtney have said that if Kurt had lived, Nirvana wouldn't have lasted too much longer).

The only reason that The Sex Pistols are more associated with punk was because of their over-publicity, the fact that they didn't have a chance to be associated with any other types of genre, and they were the reason the whole British race was up in arms about censoring punk, and before "Nevermind The Bollocks", no one had heard anything that loud and in your face before. Granted The Ramones had already released an album but they wern't as loud and fast on record as The Pistols. They also the first British punk band to get publicity. Had they not gone on that interview, they would just have been an ordinary punk band.
To Liz, my one and only - May our love last forever :)

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.." - Jack Kerouac, "On The Road"
Flowers For The Dead
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Flowers For The Dead »

I don't believe that grunge died for the main reason of Kurt's Cobains suicide. It was already on the the go down ever since bands like R.E.M, the poster-boys of pre-alternative rock, started to become popular. I do believe that the death that plauged the grunge era was a main cause of the it's downfall. At the time of kurt's death(1994), grunge was dying out. It could have stood longer if the band members hadn't died so quickly and in such a staggering amount. Kurt's death was just one of those in a very long line.

----------------------------

Now, I don't think Grunge is still alive today. But hopefully, soon it will re-surface like I hope other genres will because todays music is just shit.....It's just pure stank ass shit. It is seldom that I see one new band that has any musical merit at all.
Fill up the bucket with whatever ya got.

Make sure it's somethin' that the bucket likes alot.

One day CUT FREE!!!!