Pedge Of Alligiance In School

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Doug
Veteran

Pedge Of Alligiance In School

Post by Doug »

I was debating whether or not to make this a poll, but it seemed too complicated, so I decided against it. Do you think that the pledge of alligiance should be said in schools? Should students be forced to say it? I'm totally against it, because of "under God" and it seems communist-like to me. Wondering what you guys are thinking about it?

The Supreme Court is taking it up today, by the way. That's what prompted me to write this.
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
She Lay Gutted
Veteran

Re: Pedge Of Alligiance In School

Post by She Lay Gutted »

It's never really mattered to me. As long as they don't try to make children say it....

I never said The Pledge when I was in school....
"So when I disapear,

She will still be here...

Sifting my remains through the ashes.

She's not ordinary.

She's just. like. me." - Bottom Feeder [Project 86]

Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

Yeah, they are making children say it. Elementary school - high school.
gcfreekfan
Loyal

Post by gcfreekfan »

I dont think that "god" should be in the legince! its not fairor constututional!
XX:XXDEAD AND HELPLESSSTOP ABORTIONXX:XX

My Journal
messedup
Needs Another Hobby

Post by messedup »

I don't think that students should have to say it but I also don't think they should have to take it out of school completely like a lot of people want.
Danielle
broadwayboi
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by broadwayboi »

A while back I read someone on a different site saying that every elected member of any government office here in the U.S. has to swear on the bible and say 'Under God' before they can take that office. So basically, if that phrase is done away with, their positions don't mean sh*t.
"If I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free- to those who'd groud me, take a message back from me- Tell them how I am defying gravity. I'm flying high and defying gravity and soon I'll match them in renown. And nobody in all of Oz, no wizard that there is or was is ever gonna bring me down!!!"

-from the Broadway musical 'Wicked'
emotionalcutie
Veteran

Post by emotionalcutie »

I dont think people should be forced to say it. But dont take it out of the schools totally, just make it a choice.
*KT*

*Give Into The Sweet Temptation*

<span style="color:royal blue"-::SMIRRRRRNOFFF::-

**chit-chat**
She Lay Gutted
Veteran

Post by She Lay Gutted »

Originally posted by broadwayboi@Mar 24 2004, 04:45 PM

....if that phrase is done away with, their positions don't mean sh*t.

Most of their positions don't mean shit, anyway... So does it really matter?
"So when I disapear,

She will still be here...

Sifting my remains through the ashes.

She's not ordinary.

She's just. like. me." - Bottom Feeder [Project 86]

Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

I take flack from the Republicans in my student-government homeroom for this, but I REFUSE to say the pledge of allegiance on the principles stated previously; separation of church and state and moral objections to the concept of constant nationalism and patriotism.
-Sam!
Tree Fingers
Loyal

Post by Tree Fingers »

This has nothing to do with Church. The United States was founded on Christian ideals.

Now, I see where this man is coming from. He is an atheist, and he believes this isolates his child. The constitution protects religious freedom, which has been translated as seperation of church and state. It would be like, "Under Christ" for people that are apart of different religions. That would isolate those who do not believe that Jesus was our savior and in fact would make those practicing non-christian religions isolated and excluded.

I believe in consistancy. So, if judges cannot have the ten commandments in their courthouses, or on the walls of schools, then anythign God related should be banned.

What this will do, however, is construct an Amendment in order to make the use of the word God constitutional. And, it would pass in a heartbeat.
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

I dont say the pledge because I dont agree with what it says. I live in this nation, yet I am not living under god.
"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."

- Bill Clinton

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans"

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

THE MOST INTELIGENT THING I'VE EVER HEARD:

"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity."

-Irving Kristol
four
Veteran

Post by four »

I find your comparison of the pledge to communism absolutely hilarious. The phrase "one nation, under god" was added in the mid-50s during America's Red Scare to attempt and seperate us from the horrible "atheist commies". The pledge was around for decades before congress added one nation under god into it, to the disagreement of the author.

Although there are laws saying that schools may not force you to or punish you for not participating in the pledge, this does not prevent other students from doing so. The supreme court long ago ruled that school led prayer was not allowed, and this should be the same.
NAAM
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

I agree four. My teachers try to force me to, but i wont compromise my integrity like that. i allready feel kinda dirty using our money.
"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."

- Bill Clinton

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans"

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity."

-Irving Kristol
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

Yeah broken! Stick to your guns! I had a guy in my class a year or two ago that refused to stand up and the teacher sent him to the principal, who, sent him home for the day. This was before I developed all of my ideals that I have now and I was still standing, but was not saying it.

Now, I don't stand and I don't say it. I believe, as I believe Broken said, that if school prayer is not allowed (and rightfully so), then the words "under God' should not be allowed. I still won't say the pledge (I hate the Bush admin with a passion, but that's for a different forum), but I may stand. This probably won't be overturned though because the supreme court is right-wing-conservative and unfortunatley 90% of the nation believes children should say it. Not coincidently, around 90% are christian, jewish (still God), or apathetic.

Doug
Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

The Supreme Court can suck my left ... ear. They have such sticks up their asses, dude, really, I want a more liberal court. Damn Bush appointees. Bush the first was horrible. Bush the second is worse.
-Sam!
four
Veteran

Post by four »

The supreme court is always about 10-20 years behind the times, it is the nature of the court, and this can be good. By having people appointed for life it allows for a bit of a moral time warp, which can lead to them not buying into the fads of the year and such, but it can also lead to them being absolutely ridiculous.
NAAM
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

It wasnt just conservatives who approved it. It was everyone. Im right wing, doesnt mean that im some bible pounding bigot. Im not even christian.

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
sweethelp
Veteran

Post by sweethelp »

Originally posted by Drake Dracoli@Mar 24 2004, 04:39 PM

I don't think it should be necessary. They don't really force me to say it in my school, so I just stand out of sincerity and courtesy.

thats the way it is at my school too. you dont have to, but its said for the people who want to.

~~Kimmy~~
She's so big hearted

but not so remarkable

just an ordinary humble girl

expecting nothing as we may

to think it's a pretty person's worth

you are beautiful

and you'd better go show it

so go and look again

you gotta be true only if you really wanna go to the top and you really wanna win

don't believe in living normal

just to satisfy demand

Well, if you wanna get free

and if wanna get smart by the sake of your heart

you should own your lame and stand up tall

:)
four
Veteran

Post by four »

NAAM
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames »

Our founding fathers were atheists. In fact, the reason why they separated church and state is because in all of known history, countries that combined church and state ended up in a downfall, where the people had zero power and the ruler had all.

It wasn't until recently where the pledge became under god. It was during World War 2 and they put it in there so we didn't seem like some godless country.

I don't believe in the pledge. I don't do it. I think it's pathetic. I think it's a form of brainwashing. Telling litle 6 years olds that America is "under god."

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...