Bush Knew 9/11 Was Coming?

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

broken4ubyu
Loyal

Re: Bush Knew 9/11 Was Coming?

Post by broken4ubyu »

To say that fox news is the only blatantly partisan news network is just wrong. Prettymuch everybody is blatant about it. However, atleast fox portrays both the conservative AND liberal sides.
"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."

- Bill Clinton

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans"

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

THE MOST INTELIGENT THING I'VE EVER HEARD:

"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity."

-Irving Kristol
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Tree Fingers:

That's just how I think major news networks operate. But you are right; some news sources are observably partisan (Fox News is a good example, and there is some left-wing media like that too) and the mainstream isn't exactly trustworthy, either.

The best way to gather information, I figure, is through numerous media outlets, mainstream and independent. Then come up with your own conclusions.

broken4ubyu:

Isn?t it nice to know that a media baron like Rupert Murdoch can openly give interviews about his confidence in the re-election of President Bush? After all, the Corporate Media Group does bring you such ?unbiased? outlets as FOX News, so it should come as no surprise when he makes off the cuff remarks such as ?I think it's been misrepresented. [There has been] tremendous progress in Iraq - all the kids are back at school, 10% more than when Saddam Hussein was there. There's 100% more fresh water. Most of Iraq is doing extremely well."

Thankfully Mr. Murdoch has FOX News at his disposal, which is doing a fine job of making sure that the proper ?corrections? to all of those ?misrepresentations? are reaching the American people.
Democracy. It rolls off the tongue nicely. Better than others. I can say it, spell it, define it, but can?t admit to ever believing it. So convoluted has it become that it has mesmerized generations into a comma of perfect sublimity. You dance to the music of your youth, identify with your own memory, become a time capsule of numb comfort. And there, mired in the exhaustion of a life in progress, you surrender your right to question for the luxury of not being bothered.

- Matt Good
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

some? more like all. The media lost all credibility when it began analyzing the news instead of just reporting it.
"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."

- Bill Clinton

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans"

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity."

-Irving Kristol
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - President Bush said Sunday he was satisfied before Sept. 11, 2001, that federal agents were on top of the terrorist threat when he read a briefing memo on Osama bin Laden's intention to strike inside the United States.

``I wanted to know whether there was anything, any actionable intelligence,'' Bush said, and when he read the memo of Aug. 6, 2001, ``I was satisfied that some of the matters were being looked into.''

In his first comments since Saturday's release of the presidential daily brief, Bush said the document contained ``nothing about an attack on America.''

Bush said if there had been any specific intelligence pointing to threats of attacks on New York and Washington, ``I would have moved mountains'' to prevent it.

Bush was told more than a month before the Sept. 11 attacks that al-Qaida had reached America's shores, had a support system in place for its operatives and that the FBI had detected suspicious activity that might involve a hijacking plot. Since 1998, the FBI had observed ``patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks,'' according to the memo prepared for Bush and declassified Saturday.

White House aides and outside experts said they could not recall a sitting president ever publicly releasing the highly sensitive document, known as a PDB, for presidential daily briefing.

The Aug. 6, 2001 PDB referred to evidence of buildings in New York possibly being cased by terrorists.

The document also said the CIA and FBI were investigating a call to the U.S. embassy in the United Arab Emirates in May 2001 ``saying that a group of (Osama) bin Laden supporters was in the U.S. planning attacks with explosives.''

The commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people in New York City, Washington and Pennsylvania, asked the White House to declassify the document at its meeting Thursday. It is significant because Bush read it, so it offers a window on what Bush and his top aides knew about the threat of a terrorist strike.

The PDB made plain that bin Laden had been scheming to strike the United States for at least six years. It warned of indications from a broad array of sources, spanning several years.

Senior administration officials said Bush saw more than 40 mentions of al-Qaida in his daily intelligence updates during the first eight months of his presidency. The CIA prepared the document ``in response to questions asked by the president about the possibility of attacks by al-Qaida inside the U.S,'' one said.

But the senior officials refused to say what Bush's response to the memo was.

Republican commissioner James R. Thompson, a former Illinois governor, said the memo ``didn't call for anything to be done'' by Bush.

The memo's details confirm that the Bush administration had no specific information regarding an imminent attack involving airplanes as missiles, Thompson said.

``The PDB backs up what Dr. Rice testified to. There is no smoking gun, not even a cold gun,'' he said.

``Clandestine, foreign government, and media reports indicate bin Laden since 1997 has wanted to conduct terrorist attacks in the U.S.,'' the memo to Bush stated. Bin Laden implied in U.S. television interviews in 1997 and 1998 that his followers would follow the example of World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yousef and ``bring the fighting to America.''

After President Clinton launched missile strikes on bin Laden's base in Afghanistan in 1998 in retaliation for bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania that killed 231 people, ``bin Laden told followers he wanted to retaliate in Washington,'' the memo said.

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
BeautifulLetdown7
Loyal

Post by BeautifulLetdown7 »

For one, if Bush knew 9/ 11 wa going to happen why would he have kept himself in the public eye in public places all the time? and secondly, Where do you guys think the 3rd plane was headed if it hadn't been brought down in Pennsylvania? I guess bush saw with his "vision" that they would bring down that plane so he just stayed there in the Whit House.

Geez people really!
Switchfoot

It was a beautiful letdown

When I crashed and burned

When I found myself alone, unknown and hurt

The day I knew,

That all the riches this world had to offer me will never do.

Email me at: bluefire@writeme.com
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Actually, Bush hid in an underground bunker.
Democracy. It rolls off the tongue nicely. Better than others. I can say it, spell it, define it, but can?t admit to ever believing it. So convoluted has it become that it has mesmerized generations into a comma of perfect sublimity. You dance to the music of your youth, identify with your own memory, become a time capsule of numb comfort. And there, mired in the exhaustion of a life in progress, you surrender your right to question for the luxury of not being bothered.

- Matt Good
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

Originally posted by Brad@Apr 13 2004, 10:51 AM

Actually, Bush hid in an underground bunker.

yeah, and cheney disappeared for like...5 months.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

thats because its standard procedure during a terrorist attack. Its not like bush not hiding would have done us any good. He didnt even have a choice. Bush NEVER KNEW 9/11 was coming. There were hints, but never enough to guess what was going to happen

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
four
Veteran

Post by four »

Agreed. It is standard procedure for him to hide in an underground bunker and that is where he should have been. Anyone arguing against that is just being silly. And at least coming from the few documents released in the past few days I do not think there was enough forwarning to prevent the 9/11 attacks on the US by the Bush administration. There was enough to step up investigation more than he had, however not enough to know what was going to happen and be able to stop it.
NAAM
BeautifulLetdown7
Loyal

Post by BeautifulLetdown7 »

Amen, broken4ubyu and four. And Cheney, ToraToraTora, was in the hospital for his heart problems.
Switchfoot

When I crashed and burned

When I found myself alone, unknown and hurt

The day I knew,

That all the riches this world had to offer me will never do.

Email me at: bluefire@writeme.com
four
Veteran

Post by four »

I do not like saying it, but I am not going to lie about what he did.
NAAM
Tree Fingers
Loyal

Post by Tree Fingers »

Bush didn't know 9/11 was coming, but that is mere ignorance on our entire intelligence and government's part, not just Bush. Terrorism has consistantly been undermined since the current problem first began surfacing.

It was going to take something like this to open eyes. Now, how Bush has handled it afterwards is a different story.
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

I dont really see how bush had anything to do with the whole thing. He was told that it was being well investigated and taken care of.

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
Tree Fingers
Loyal

Post by Tree Fingers »

broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

i would say that 70 investigations into the organization would be considered dealing with it appropriately

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
four
Veteran

Post by four »

Apparently not, seeing as more than 3,000 people died.
NAAM
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Such a thing was inevitable though, really. What with all the foreign involvement the US had in the Middle East since WWII, overthrowing legitimate governments, selling weapons, etc etc...

The CIA was sowing the seeds of terrorism long before any of us came along.

- Matt Good
ImLostForWords
Loyal

Post by ImLostForWords »

If you wanna learn somethings about this...I say that you should read the book "Dude, Where's My Country" by Micheal Moore. He has a chapter asking Bush all the questions and how/why he thinks Bush new about it. Its really interesting and very imformative. Also, its a well written book.

One thing to point out...Bush has buisness connections/investments with the Bin Laden family in Oil and what not. Makes you wonder why/how he didn't know what was coming. He could've easily talked to them. All I can say is that Bush is one smart cookie.... :thumbsdown:
Don't let the world bring you down

Not everyone here is that fucked up and cold

Remember why you came

And while you're alive

Experience the warmth before you grow old.

"There is a great big world out there and it won't matter if you were the most popular girl, the quarterback of the football team, or the biggest nerd in school. Find out who you are and try not to be afraid of it. "

Oo-De-Lally, Oo-De-Lally, golly what a day.
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

lol there u guys go with michael moore again... That man need a treadmill, a shave, and an education

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
four
Veteran

Post by four »

Agreed.
NAAM