Electoral College

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

o1lucky132005
Loyal

Electoral College

Post by o1lucky132005 »

I was just wondering what everyone's views were on the electoral college. I think it's time we get rid of this outdated system. Our founding fathers created the electoral college because they believed that there was not enough communication and the people were not educated and informed enough to be given full power to choose their leader. I would say times have changed since the 18th century and voters today are informed enough to choose their president. The electoral college is completely unfair. How is it fair that someone can get the majority of the votes, yet still lose the election? It's ludicras! How is that the choice of the country when more than half of the country chose the candidate that lost the election? It makes absolutely no sense! What are everyone else's opinions?
Sweet dreams!

"It's amazing the things you realize when you lose someone: you get mad at yourself for not saying the things you could've a million times, you take for granted the days spent doing nothing when you could have been with them. Anyone can be taken, at any time in our lives, but we always wait until they're gone to say the things we never had the courage to before." -Unknown
four
Veteran

Re: Electoral College

Post by four »

I have not had enough time to actually sit down and think it out to come to a fully informed decision on the topic, however my general impression with the system is the same as yours. It would take years and years however for an ammendment of that magnitude to pass.
NAAM
o1lucky132005
Loyal

Post by o1lucky132005 »

It would take years and years however for an ammendment of that magnitude to pass.

I agree. I know it would be extremely difficult to change the electoral college simply for the fact that it's a part of the Constitution and it's very difficult to pass amendments. I would be so happy if it were changed, but i have a feeling it won't change in my lifetime, our country likes tradition too much, we're often afraid of change.
Sweet dreams!

"It's amazing the things you realize when you lose someone: you get mad at yourself for not saying the things you could've a million times, you take for granted the days spent doing nothing when you could have been with them. Anyone can be taken, at any time in our lives, but we always wait until they're gone to say the things we never had the courage to before." -Unknown
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

I don't want to get rid of it so much as I want to modify it. There are some good things there, but I think there needs to be a....I don't want to say clause, but something to that effect....where if the election is very close (such as it was in 2000), we rely on something other than the electoral college. Maybe have a runoff election in the disputed state(s)? Just an idea.
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

I agree with doug, we need a modified electoral college for right now. It simply wouldnt be feasable to do anyhing else. We can stop using it when a reliable, tamperproof method of voting at home comes about
"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."

- Bill Clinton

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans"

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

THE MOST INTELIGENT THING I'VE EVER HEARD:

"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity."

-Irving Kristol