The Unborn Victims Of Violence Act

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Skye
Veteran

The Unborn Victims Of Violence Act

Post by Skye »

This topic was originally lost due to an unfortunate database error on the part of the administrators during our most recent MySQL database maintenance. As a result, I have copied the content of the post, originally made by four, and reposted it. I did not make this topic originally.

The post made by four is contained within the below quote.

Four, I'm sorry. I tried my best to do right on our mistake.

Though it sounds good in principle, this is sure to put us on the slipery slope to banning abortion entirely, and it has all been spearheaded by those fun republicans

Originally posted by http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/ ... index.html

Bush signs fetus-protection bill

Thursday, April 1, 2004 Posted: 3:01 PM EST (2001 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush on Thursday signed into law legislation expanding legal rights of unborn fetuses.

The Unborn Victims of Violence Act, which took five years to get through Congress, makes it a crime to harm a fetus during an assault on a pregnant woman.

People on both sides of the fetal rights and abortion issue have said the new law will have far-reaching consequences.

Abortion opponents welcome it as a step toward more sweeping protections for the unborn, while abortion-rights proponents say the measure represents the first recognition in federal law of an embryo or fetus as a person separate from the woman.

Sen. John Kerry, Bush's Democratic opponent in the November presidential election, voted against the bill.

Bush has said he doesn't believe the country is ready to completely ban abortions; he opposes them except in cases of rape or incest or when pregnancy endangers a woman's life. That position has become a standard line in most of his speeches.

"We stand for a culture of life in which every person counts and every person matters. We will not stand for the treatment of any life as a commodity to be experimented upon, exploited or cloned," the president told Republican donors to his campaign at a fund-raiser in Washington Tuesday night.

Bush has taken several actions that have pleased anti-abortion advocates.

As one of the first acts of his presidency, he reinstated the "Mexico City policy" that bars U.S. money from international groups that support abortion, even with their own money, through direct services, counseling or lobbying activities.

He has signed legislation that bans certain late-term abortions and that amends legal definitions of "person," "human being," "child" and "individual" to include any fetus that survives an abortion.

He has increased federal support for abstinence education, adoption and crisis pregnancy programs; placed severe restrictions on federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research to only a few existing cell lines; and extended state health coverage to "unborn children."

The measure Bush signed into law on Thursday is limited in scope, applying only to harm to a fetus while a federal crime, such as a terrorist attack or drug-related shooting, is being committed against the pregnant mother. The legislation defines an "unborn child" as a child in utero, which it says "means a member of the species homo sapiens, at any stage of development, who is carried in the womb."

A number of states have similar laws.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.