Falluja Flashpoint

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Brad
Veteran

Falluja Flashpoint

Post by Brad »

BBC - A US air strike has killed up to 40 people inside a mosque compound during heavy fighting in the Sunni Muslim Iraqi town of Falluja, witnesses say.

The US military said the strike targeted insurgents who had fired from inside the mosque compound, wounding five Marines.

The US said it bombed the wall of the compound, not the mosque itself.

The incident came as coalition troops fought separate uprisings by both Sunni and Shia Muslims in several towns.

Hospital and military sources in Falluja say more than 100 Iraqis have been killed since Tuesday in the town, where US forces have been fighting street battles with insurgents.

Doesn't this remind anyone else of Israel/Palestine?
Democracy. It rolls off the tongue nicely. Better than others. I can say it, spell it, define it, but can?t admit to ever believing it. So convoluted has it become that it has mesmerized generations into a comma of perfect sublimity. You dance to the music of your youth, identify with your own memory, become a time capsule of numb comfort. And there, mired in the exhaustion of a life in progress, you surrender your right to question for the luxury of not being bothered.

- Matt Good
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Re: Falluja Flashpoint

Post by broken4ubyu »

That could remind anybody of any war
"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."

- Bill Clinton

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans"

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

THE MOST INTELIGENT THING I'VE EVER HEARD:

"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity."

-Irving Kristol
Tree Fingers
Loyal

Post by Tree Fingers »

No, it doesn't.

Seriously, it's war.
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Considering major combat was declared over months ago, and Bush claimed 'Mission Accomplished!'....

Technically.... IT ISN'T WAR!!!

Yet, quite a few people are still dying...
Democracy. It rolls off the tongue nicely. Better than others. I can say it, spell it, define it, but can?t admit to ever believing it. So convoluted has it become that it has mesmerized generations into a comma of perfect sublimity. You dance to the music of your youth, identify with your own memory, become a time capsule of numb comfort. And there, mired in the exhaustion of a life in progress, you surrender your right to question for the luxury of not being bothered.

- Matt Good
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

Major combat was over. Saddams army was defeated. Now we are fighting insurgents.
"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."

- Bill Clinton

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans"

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity."

-Irving Kristol
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Not unlike Vietnam, American credibility and pride is now on the line in Iraq. This fact alone suggests that the United States will, out of principle, ensconce themselves in Iraq to make sure that the creation of a westernized democracy (if you want to call it that) is completed, showing to Americans and the world that theirs was a just undertaking. In a nation immersed in the politics of the gun, it?s folly to think that anything but a military presence can act as effective government. Venturing a step further towards what most would condemn as speculative lunacy, perhaps that?s been the goal all along. There?s simply nothing more effective than allowing a fledgling government to make their own mistakes and then providing the cavalry.

If you turn on your television, and flip to an American news channel, you?ll be able to watch the spin as clearly as if it were your own reflection in a mirror - ?The numbers of the insurgents are exaggerated.? - ?12 Marines were killed but reports indicate at least ten times that many Iraqis were also killed.? - ?The Iraqis are believed to be members of Saddam Hussein?s elite Republican guard because the attacks were so organized.? Do some research concerning US domestic news broadcasts about the Vietnam War; you might find some frightening similarities.

- Matt Good
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

Have you noticed that in every war that was ever fought that pride and credibility are on the line and that almost all American wars are to protect/create democracy.

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
Tree Fingers
Loyal

Post by Tree Fingers »

We don't create democracies, we create little Americas that benefit Big America.
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

I would consider countries with elections democracies

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Originally posted by Tree Fingers@Apr 8 2004, 01:45 PM

We don't create democracies, we create little Americas that benefit Big America.

Bingo.

- Matt Good
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

Id rather have a little america than a little russia. We use ourselves as a template because thats what people want and we are the most successful country

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
sweethelp
Veteran

Post by sweethelp »

Originally posted by Brad@Apr 7 2004, 11:14 PM

Technically.... IT ISN'T WAR!!!

Yet, quite a few people are still dying...

more people have died after the war then during it, i believe

~~Kimmy~~
She's so big hearted

but not so remarkable

just an ordinary humble girl

expecting nothing as we may

to think it's a pretty person's worth

you are beautiful

and you'd better go show it

so go and look again

you gotta be true only if you really wanna go to the top and you really wanna win

don't believe in living normal

just to satisfy demand

Well, if you wanna get free

and if wanna get smart by the sake of your heart

you should own your lame and stand up tall

:)
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Originally posted by broken4ubyu@Apr 8 2004, 04:29 PM

We use ourselves as a template because thats what people want

No, that's what the US wants. That's what the CIA wants. The people don't want it, otherwise we wouldn't be having this debate in the first place.

- Matt Good
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

Actually the majority of iraqis want what we are doing there, despite what liberals want you to believe

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

Originally posted by broken4ubyu@Apr 8 2004, 07:07 PM

Actually the majority of iraqis want what we are doing there, despite what liberals want you to believe

Hah! Really. Pray tell, where do you come across such information?

- Matt Good
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

opinion polls

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
Brad
Veteran

Post by Brad »

"This isn't about Shiite or Sunni, or who will lead Iraq. Now it's a war of liberation to kick the occupiers out of Iraqi lands."

-young Iraqi who took part in attacks against US troops

- Matt Good
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

yes, that is the opinion of the extreemists, but not mainstream iraqis

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol
four
Veteran

Post by four »

I was watching a documentary on CNN, one of those CNN presents, and they were interviewing the chief of the Baghdad police who specifically said something to the effect of "we appreciate the US forces removing saddam, but want the occupation to end and for us to take total control of the country immediately."
NAAM
broken4ubyu
Loyal

Post by broken4ubyu »

That doesnt mean that they want violence like this or that they are anti-us, they simply want us out as soon as we can get things set up, which is the same goal as ours

- Bill Clinton

- Bill Clinton

Thats liberals for ya

-Irving Kristol