Norton Anti- Virus

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Norton Anti- Virus

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

How come it says to run the program every week? I thought that it is on whenever I am online..
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
Skye
Veteran

Re: Norton Anti- Virus

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by SexyMandy@Apr 28 2004, 02:05 PM

How come it says to run the program every week? I thought that it is on whenever I am online..
No, it setup a scheduled task in your windows control panel. It runs every Friday night at 8:00 P.M. It's best to leave it alone. What it's doing is a full computer scan; it scans everything already on your computer. Yes, Norton Antivirus does have something running in the background at all times called "Norton Auto-protect." What this does is scan files as you download them. If it finds a virus it will alert you and ask you what it should do. The 3 options, if I remember correctly are 1.) "Automatically repair the infected file", 2.) "Try to repair then quarantine if unsuccessful," 3.) "Deny access to the infected file."

How the three options work:

1.) Almost never works in my experience. Usually renders the file useless as the virus is embedded into it. Works very well on Microsoft word documents though when they contain a macro virus. 2.) Works very well. If it cant fix it, it quarantines it in a bottomless pit. :) 3.) It just does what it says. it denies any access to it. Therefore protecting you. Usually by quarantining it.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

What if my computer isn't on at 8:00 on friday night?
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
Toolrockgirl
Veteran

Post by Toolrockgirl »

you can change the time it will run i think, its just recomended that you run a virus scan every week. :)
weeble and bob

One of my favorites
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by SexyMandy@Apr 28 2004, 03:36 PM

What if my computer isn't on at 8:00 on friday night?
Then you need to leave it on...or change the time it runs.
HelpingTeens.org:

LedZep04
Needs Another Hobby

Post by LedZep04 »

You should just run it every week on your own.. Or even every two weeks. Besides Norton anti virus sucks.. You should get e trust. :P
RIP Parsa<33
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by LedZep04@May 1 2004, 01:28 AM

You should just run it every week on your own.. Or even every two weeks. Besides Norton anti virus sucks.. You should get e trust. :P
I believe you need a fact check. Every comparison with competing anti-virus software has proven time and time again that Norton Anti-virus is far and beyond THE BEST anti-virus in existence. I can provide links if you stilll don't believe me. Just go search PCWorld, PCMagazine, CNET, ZDNET and a few dozen others if you're still doubtful. :lol:
HelpingTeens.org:

Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

you can set it up to be whatever you want it to be, go to settings.
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
LedZep04
Needs Another Hobby

Post by LedZep04 »

Originally posted by Skye+May 1 2004, 06:26 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (Skye @ May 1 2004, 06:26 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-LedZep04@May 1 2004, 01:28 AM

I believe you need a fact check. Every comparison with competing anti-virus software has proven time and time again that Norton Anti-virus is far and beyond THE BEST anti-virus in existence. I can provide links if you stilll don't believe me. Just go search PCWorld, PCMagazine, CNET, ZDNET and a few dozen others if you're still doubtful. :lol:[/b][/quote]

I already know the facts, but I just didn't like it that much. I had a virus and it said I didn't until I used a different virus scan... oh and yes.. I did update norton every week..that's just how I feel about it..
RIP Parsa<33
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Originally posted by LedZep04+May 1 2004, 09:48 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (LedZep04 @ May 1 2004, 09:48 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'
Originally posted by Skye@May 1 2004, 06:26 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-LedZep04
@May 1 2004, 01:28 AM

I believe you need a fact check. Every comparison with competing anti-virus software has proven time and time again that Norton Anti-virus is far and beyond THE BEST anti-virus in existence. I can provide links if you stilll don't believe me. Just go search PCWorld, PCMagazine, CNET, ZDNET and a few dozen others if you're still doubtful. :lol:

I already know the facts, but I just didn't like it that much. I had a virus and it said I didn't until I used a different virus scan... oh and yes.. I did update norton every week..that's just how I feel about it..[/b][/quote]

Every virus scanner has it's downfalls with what viruses it misses

Just recently i switched from AVG to NAV cause now I have a sweet system that can handle it, and it picked up 4 viruses (dorment in zip files) that i didn't k now about. Previously I had scanned it with AVG and http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall and neither picked it up. Same goes the opposite way. I switched from NAV to AVG because AVG picked up 6 viruses that NAV didn't get (about 1 year back).

If you want to be really protected, you install 6 or 8 anti-virus programs and have them all run all the time. Even then though you still are only at about 95% chance of not getting a virus. These days viruses mutate.... much harder to deal with.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.