Processor Temperature

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

hawkburn
Loyal

Processor Temperature

Post by hawkburn »

Hello everyone. This really only applies to the more advanced users. I wanted to ask a question about the normal temperatures that processors should be at.

For a little background on the environment.. I live in Dallas, TX.. where 96 degree weather is the norm. The usual inside temp is around 80-83. I know this will affect the computer temperature, so this is why I included it.

My computer has 5 fans. (2x80mm - 1 intake, 1 exhaust) (1x120mm - exhaust) (a dual-mini fan that fits into a PCI slot that cools my video card) (my Processor cooler, a Tt 70mm copper heatsink that varies from 1500-6500 RPM)

During the summer the processor is the hottest (obviously) and I know that my processor (a Northwood) runs cooler than the P4E and definately cooler than AMD's.

Here's my regular temps:

Idle, 0% usage: 106 F (41 C)

Full, 100% usage: 124 F (51 C)

My question: Is this normal for a Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz Northwood processor? Is it too hot? If so.. what can I do, besides the solution of water cooling. I dont run the fan at full speed because it literally sounds like a jet engine @ 6500 rpm.

Thanks for any help in advance. :D
---Chris---

My Website.

BUSH - STILL not my president.
four
Veteran

Re: Processor Temperature

Post by four »

I do not know the normal temperature range for the chips... but I do know that this is far under the critical temperature. You are not going to burn it out operating at this temperature.
NAAM
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

Sounds about right for your chip. My fiances AMD Athlom xp 2500+ can run up to about 55C and it will burn at 60C.
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
four
Veteran

Post by four »

Oh hell no to the burning out at 60C. I have had my 2100+ and 2800+ up above 65C for weeks on end without issue. They (AMD Athlon XP chips) actually burn out at around 80C.
NAAM
hawkburn
Loyal

Post by hawkburn »

Thanks for the quick responces.. and for re-assuring me. I recently built this system a few months ago, and wanted to make sure I had gotten the thermal solution amount correct. I know that major manufacturers do it in bulk so you dont have to generally worry about it, but I'm always cautious.

When my processor is running full load, it tends to rise the house temperature about 2 degrees Fahrenheit, but thats okay.

So, thanks again. :)
---Chris---

My Website.

Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

The core temperatures will fluctuate depending on the ambient temperature of room.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Mine is currently running at 51 C. The processor, an AMD 64 at 2.0 gig (always running at 100% as I run SETI@Home), can run up to the 88-90 C mark without burning out. The average temperature of an AMD chip is much higher than a Pentium chip. My old P3 450, ran at 50 C too.

Intel chips will shut off (like a switch breaker) when they overheat. AMD chipswill just burn and smoke your motherboard (if you don't believe me, i have a clip of a test that was done when a CPU fan/heat sink was removed from both a P4 and an Athlon XP CPU. The P4 just shut off, turned back on fine with the heat sink back on and worked properly. The AMD just burned in less than 2 seconds after having it removed.)

Anyways, your CPU is running WELL WITHIN normal parameters. You don't have to worry.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

HelpingTeens.org:

hawkburn
Loyal

Post by hawkburn »

Thank you OD an Skye.. but I think just to be on the safe side.. I'll wait to start running UD (cancer research, like SETI) until it gets cooler outside. It's getting to the point where many days are getting into the 100's outside. I may wait until fall. But thanks for reassuring me. :D
---Chris---

My Website.

Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by hawkburn@Jul 19 2004, 09:46 AM

Thank you OD an Skye.. but I think just to be on the safe side.. I'll wait to start running UD (cancer research, like SETI) until it gets cooler outside. It's getting to the point where many days are getting into the 100's outside. I may wait until fall. But thanks for reassuring me. :D
They should run quite well and WELL UNDER the max temperatures in that. It gets to be over 100 for a very large segment of the calendar year. We get some of the hottest summers on record here. My computers are fine. As long as you have good cooling fans you're perfectly fine running at 100%. In the hottest parts of summer here my CPU temperature never exceeds 130F. And that temperature was when my air condition was broken last summer.

If yours exceeds that, then you need to make sure you have good thermal compound between the heat sink and the processor. The reason for the thermal paste is the surface of your heat sink is in no way flat. It?s got thousands of microscopic canyons and valleys on the metal surface and the thermal compound fills these spots where the CPU core comes into contact with the heat sink which provides a flat, efficient thermal transfer area. This lets the cooling work far better.

Also, you need to consider the ambient temperature of the room your computer is in. If the ambient temperature is 75F, you're computer can kick ass all year round and you'd never have to worry about the temperatures in that system. On the other side of the coin, if the ambient temperature in your room is 90's, watch it carefully. The CPU core will always be 20 or 30 degrees higher than the ambient room temperature.
HelpingTeens.org:

NvMyCougar03
Loyal

Post by NvMyCougar03 »

thats a little hot on the hotter side. how does it run? is it fighting its self. is it obvious over heating? i would worry about if if your not having any problems. however tips to keep it running cooler. move your computer closer to the air conditioner. or put a nice fan near your desk so it blows on you and your computer (kill 2 birds with one stone) .... but dont take your computer in the pool to cool off :)
you may call me "Darkness Within"
hawkburn
Loyal

Post by hawkburn »

---Chris---

My Website.

four
Veteran

Post by four »

I would say: Damned expensive. I would go for a watercooling setup before a fridge.
NAAM
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by four@Jul 22 2004, 02:09 PM

I would say: Damned expensive. I would go for a watercooling setup before a fridge.
Water cooling isnt the best thing. Water cooling can only cool it to room temperature.

No further.
HelpingTeens.org:

four
Veteran

Post by four »

Uh... So? I do not know about you but room temperature is much better than 50C
NAAM
hawkburn
Loyal

Post by hawkburn »

Yes, watercooling would be nice, less expensive too.

I also saw over at Directron.com that instead of water you can use a type of fluid that cools just as well, but if theres a spill it wont short circuit the motherboard and the rest of the machine. It sounds good to me.. and it WOULD keep that 6500 RPM cpu fan from waking me up at night.
---Chris---

My Website.

Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by hawkburn@Jul 22 2004, 05:39 PM

Yes, watercooling would be nice, less expensive too.

I also saw over at Directron.com that instead of water you can use a type of fluid that cools just as well, but if theres a spill it wont short circuit the motherboard and the rest of the machine. It sounds good to me.. and it WOULD keep that 6500 RPM cpu fan from waking me up at night.
Actually. You can fully submerge a computer or any electronic device in water and it wont short circuit. It's not the water itself that causes the short circuit. Distilled water is what you should use for water cooling.
HelpingTeens.org: