Pop "music".

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

emotionalcutie
Veteran

Re: Pop "music".

Post by emotionalcutie »

Good charolette is poser punk...its made out to be punk BUT THEY ARE POP....

and they suck
*KT*

*Give Into The Sweet Temptation*

<span style="color:royal blue"-::SMIRRRRRNOFFF::-

**chit-chat**
A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth »

Who cares whether they claim to be punk when you think they aren't. Just don't listen to them and settle it at that. The one thing I hate most is people who constantly accuse artists of 'posing'. It doesn't matter!

P.S. I don't listen to GC. But when it comes down to it, I listen to what I like... not because it's a certain genre or not a certain genre. I don't even pay attention to what genre they are, because ultimately it does not matter.
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

But give me love over, love over, love over this... ~Coldplay

Dr. Wilson:
I forgot I needed a reason to give a crap.

Dr. House: You're actually giving two craps.

Dr. Wilson: The metric system always confused me.
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

*Points to the post before mine and agrees.*

And this ISN'T a contest. Some people act like they know best about how music's supposed to be but there are no rules to it.
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

Born on: February 26th, 2007

<3

----------------------

"Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief."

gcfreekfan
Loyal

Post by gcfreekfan »

Um..guys I didnt mean to have a fight about this. I am sry if it came out wrong. I wanted to know who ealse doesnt like pop music...And i can think what I want about GC just as you can think what you want.
XX:XXDEAD AND HELPLESSSTOP ABORTIONXX:XX

My Journal
A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth »

I can't really answer whether I like 'pop music' or not, because you might consider what I listen to as pop music because people who don't like tend to categorize everything but hardcore, rap and hiphop as either pop or having a sub-pop genre.

If you think Evanescence, Switchfoot, Radiohead, Frou Frou and such are pop, then yeah. I don't think they are, though.

I do like British pop... Coldplay is awesome.
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

Dr. Wilson:

gcfreekfan
Loyal

Post by gcfreekfan »

See I think that is the prob. Everyone thinks of 'pop music' Different.
XX:XXDEAD AND HELPLESSSTOP ABORTIONXX:XX

My Journal
A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth »

Yeah, when I think of pop I think of those meaningless love-songs like Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears etc.
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

Dr. Wilson:

flavaoftheweak
Veteran

Post by flavaoftheweak »

when i think of pop music, i think of xtina, jessica simpson, ashlee simpson, britney, good charlotte, simple plan, NFG, blink 182, avril, and that sort. i like blinks old stuff, alot, and i think xtina has an amazing raw voice. i respect jessica simpson for persuing her dream, and pushing on even though people are constantly telling her she is not perfect. i dont like nfg though, at warped tour they made a quote in the paper that said that no matter how many records the bands have sold or how popular they are, they still all get their lunch the same and wait in line... and let me tell you, i served lunch, and those boys had their lunch ordered, put in little take out boxes, and delivered to them on their ac-ed tour bus while everyone else was bearing the heat and chillin together. i consider these bands "pop" because they are in essence my deffinition of cookie cutters: they sing what they are told, what sounds good, and what will get play and sell records. nothing wrong with that, at all! its how you have to play the game sometimes.

i personally like punk. and punk to me is Against Me!, Dropkick, Anti Heros, The Business, AAA, Rise Against, The Code, The Bastards, Anti Flag, Minutemen, and so on and so forth. thats my view. and no, i dont dress punk, however you might see that style. thats a whole other topic that is too involved to even scratch the surface of right now, anyways.

it all has to do with a persons view on music. its like a painting, you can see one thing, but someone else can see another. people seem to get more passionate with music though, and i even have to hold my tounge when someone talks about a group as one genre, when i strongly believe its another. but oh well, its opinion. sometimes you just have to get over it. there is only one kind of music i disrespect, and that would be something to the effect of... well the only way to describe it would be that Trina song BRright. music like that is disrespectful to anyone, and just really grodie.

so to answer your question, i guess i dont hate pop. no reason to.
lets unwravel the egde of time...

without the bad times, the good times wouldnt be so sweet.

BAOF!

its the little things people say that make your whole day worthwile...
Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

Ruth I was forgotten, I won't be forgotten, never again... says:

lol, dont think they have tigers on farmsthough :/

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

I have read through pretty much all of the posts here and I must say that I am ashamed. You guys sit there and bash on "pop" music and "pop" artists like they're fakes and frauds. Yes, some preformers are not artists, they are there for an image. I do believe that Hillary Duff is one of them, but I could be wrong. I believe that anyone who writes their own music is an artist. Anyone that gets paid for writing their own music is a recognized artiist. Just because it's accepted into the mainstream, the "pop" genre if you will, does not mean that this person has any less talent than when they started. I have deep, deep respect for anyone that writes their own songs and I have immense respect for anyone that writes from their own experiences. Most of the lyrics that I write are from my own experiences, they are all written by me, so maybe that is why I have this view. But, I am sure that many of you do not persue a dream of music and many of you do not write song lyrics. I don't believe then that you should be criticizing those that do just because they are in a certain genre. Some of the bands/artists that are mentioned by you guys as "sucking" or whatever...I believe that those comments are unjust. I do believe that Good Charlotte writes many of their songs from personal experiences or they write them to have a positive messege on the people that listen to their music. Until someone can prove to me that they are lying when they say that, I will continue to have the utmost respect for them.

One person that I want to take time out to defend right now is Avril Levine (or however you spell it). She is an extremely talented artist and for some reason I very much enjoy her music. However, I can also seperate my own personal feelings and look at the lyrics objectively. I also saw some little 30 minute special of her on tour (on FUSE channel) and she said that this last album was from her own experiences and that she has many other personal songs that she can't wait to write and record. I think that is spectacular and for you guys to sit here and critizice artists that put their heart and soul into the songs they write is just unimaginable. Imagine if someone did that to you!

Doug
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
pynkgodde55
Loyal

Post by pynkgodde55 »

Exactly Doug! Well put. WE all cannot agree on what pop is. Like its been said b4 it's all in the eyes of the beholder. What's pop to me isn't pop to you. What we can agree on though is that Hilary Duff is pop and shes a cookie cutter. I saw her line and there pants for like 6 yr olds that said ho on them<--off topic but its alright. Anyway, don't kno why I put this here. I guess to agree w/ doug. Peace.
[center]Image[/center]

[center]Xanga/MySpace[/center][center]Wanna Know More about Jen?[/center]
skaterGuy15
Veteran

Post by skaterGuy15 »

One person that I want to take time out to defend right now is Avril Levine (or however you spell it). She is an extremely talented artist and for some reason I very much enjoy her music. However, I can also seperate my own personal feelings and look at the lyrics objectively. I also saw some little 30 minute special of her on tour (on FUSE channel) and she said that this last album was from her own experiences and that she has many other personal songs that she can't wait to write and record. I think that is spectacular and for you guys to sit here and critizice artists that put their heart and soul into the songs they write is just unimaginable. Imagine if someone did that to you!
Doug, come on. Don't be naive. She's putting her music out there for everyone in the world to hear, so of course she's going to have some people absolutely hate it. Whether the words were painfully drawn from the depths of her tortured soul or not, someone will still consider it gobshite.

If I could say, write an amazing novel (at least in my eyes) and get as much recognition as she does for her music, I wouldn't be heartbroken by some people telling me to never write again. Take the good with the bad.
I wish I were a spy.
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

So, you're saying that just because it happens I should sit idly by and let it happen? I'm not going to do that. An artist is an artist and whether you like what they write or not, you should at least respect what they've written, especially if you haven't taken the effort to put your thoughts on paper and share them with the world.

Also, to Sovek, there's no such thing as "ameteur" and "professional" when it comes to writing. You either write or you don't and it's given the same clout regardless of how long you have written or what you write. Don't generalize all R&R. Your stuff is no better than anyone else's, it's still art.

Doug
skaterGuy15
Veteran

Post by skaterGuy15 »

You keep saying 'you' 'you' 'you', but I haven't actually disrespected anyone here so... relax.

And lets just remember that respect does not equal liking.

I honestly think you're being too sensitive about this. When you get the public's attention you set yourself up to be slaughtered. She has enough people adoring her though, to make it worth while. And that's what's important.
I wish I were a spy.
CausticTears
Veteran

Post by CausticTears »

So. I'm not a great huge fan of pop..pop music. But I can listen to it. It doesn't nessesarily aggrivate me listening to it unless it's like..Ashlee Simpson trying to sing..and then I get aggrivated. I categorize..Ashlee Simpson, Good Charlotte, Evanescence..etc..as a sort of pop..pop music.

P.S. Anybody get the pop..pop music thing? Remember MTV's Pop..pop music..the show they had going on...um..yeah.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

Originally posted by love_in_a_box@Sep 14 2004, 04:11 PM

You keep saying 'you' 'you' 'you', but I haven't actually disrespected anyone here so... relax.

There are two types of "you." There's the singular you as in you=love_in_a_box and then there's the plural which would be you=the group. I could give a whole grammar lesson but I really don't want to spend my time doing it.

Originally posted by CausticTears

Anybody get the pop..pop music thing? Remember MTV's Pop..pop music..the show they had going on...um..yeah.

I have no idea what you're talking about, lol. Care to explain? :bag:

Doug
skaterGuy15
Veteran

Post by skaterGuy15 »

Doug.. don't you dare patronise me. I just wasn't sure if you meant me personally, maybe you had misunderstood me during this topic and thought I had been disrespecting someone.

*edited to add* 'You' is not distinguishable whether it's plural or singular in grammar. It's just the way it's taken, and I took it personally.
I wish I were a spy.
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

rogueangel
Loyal

Post by rogueangel »

Right... :lol:

I like bands such as Stiff Little Fingers, New Model Army, Angelic Upstarts, The Damned, The Clash, Anti Nowhere League, The Selecter, The Beat, The Specials, Madness, Bad Manners...

So in respect to genre my favourite type of music is mainly in the two genres punk and ska...

However, I also like a couple of Avril Lavigne songs, a couple of hilary duff songs, some Xtina songs, maybe one GC song... I could go on and on with the songs in different genres that I like... but I won't...

Because to be honest I don't care what genre it's in, or who sings it, if I like it I like it simple as that, lol.

To the actual question asked: I wouldn't say I liked pop music (whatever it is) on the whole as my favourite genre, but then again I like some aspects of certain pop artists songs so in that respect I do like pop music I suppose.

Take Care, Sam x

P.s. If I came across as snobbish or arrogant at all I didn't mean it in that way, this is just my opinion :D
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

Originally posted by rogueangel@Sep 15 2004, 08:30 AM

P.s. If I came across as snobbish or arrogant at all I didn't mean it in that way, this is just my opinion :D

Actually, you came off exactly the opposite as that. :)

All those bands you mentionted at the top, are those nationally known bands or local ones? Because, I haven't heard of one of them. :bag:

Doug