'kerry Could Spend 90 Minutes Debating Himself'

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

yoaliens3000
Veteran

'kerry Could Spend 90 Minutes Debating Himself'

Post by yoaliens3000 »

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/37 ... uters.html
Bush Mocks Kerry for 'Changing Positions' on Iraq

Sep 27, 4:26 PM (ET)

By Caren Bohan

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (Reuters) - President Bush on Monday mocked his Democratic rival John Kerry for shifting his positions on Iraq so many times he could "debate himself" in this week's face-off between the two candidates.

Bush's ridicule of the Massachusetts senator came as Kerry has been hammering him daily on Iraq, accusing him of mishandling the chaotic aftermath of the 2003 U.S. invasion and giving overly optimistic assessments of conditions there.

The first presidential campaign debate on Thursday in Coral Gables, Fla. will focus on foreign affairs and may be pivotal to the outcome of the Nov. 2 election.

At an Ohio campaign event, Bush referred to his practice sessions for the debate at his Texas ranch over the weekend.

"It's been a little tough to prepare because (Kerry) keeps changing positions on the war on the terror," he joked.

"He voted for the use of force in Iraq and then didn't vote to fund the troops," Bush said. "He complained that we're not spending enough money to help in reconstruction in Iraq and now he's saying we're spending too much. He said it was the right decision to go into Iraq and now he calls it the wrong war.

"He could probably spend 90 minutes debating himself," Bush added to hoots of laughter from his supporters.

Kerry responded that with American soldiers' lives on the line in Iraq, it was no time for jokes.

"When U.S. soldiers are in harm's way, the American people don't want jokes and fantasy spin from their president, they want to hear the truth," he said in a statement issued from Spring Green, Wisconsin where he is preparing for the debate.

Kerry has accused Bush's administration of sending mixed signals over Iraq, noting differing statements from officials about plans for elections in Iraq in January.

For example, while Bush and other officials have been adamant that elections will go forward in Iraq in January, Secretary of State Colin Powell been more cautious.

Bush broke off from his preparations for a bus trip where he reached out to Ohio voters.

"I understand you've been hit hard in Ohio," he said of the state's loss of manufacturing jobs in recent years. "I know there's people still hurting in this state."

Ohio is one of several Midwest battleground states that Bush has focused heavily on ahead of the election. (Additional reporting by Adam Entous)

i was at that rally, a huge show up. over 50,000 people were there. it was pretty amazing. bush made some funny points about kerry.

im excited for the upcoming debate this week. i cant wait to watch it. i really wonder how it will go.
StressedOut
Loyal

Re: 'kerry Could Spend 90 Minutes Debating Himself'

Post by StressedOut »

yes, we all want to see how badly bush will butcher the english language during the debate
Image Season 7 Begins- January 2009
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

NEWS ANALYSIS

Flip-flopping charge unsupported by facts

Kerry always pushed global cooperation, war as last resort

- Marc Sandalow, Washington Bureau Chief

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Washington -- No argument is more central to the Republican attack on Sen. John Kerry than the assertion that the Democrat has flip-flopped on Iraq.

President Bush, seated beside Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, said Tuesday: "My opponent has taken so many different positions on Iraq that his statements are hardly credible at all.''

The allegation is the basis of a new Bush campaign TV ad that shows the Democratic senator from Massachusetts windsurfing to the strains of a Strauss waltz as a narrator intones: "Kerry voted for the Iraq war, opposed it, supported it and now opposes it again.''

Yet an examination of Kerry's words in more than 200 speeches and statements, comments during candidate forums and answers to reporters' questions does not support the accusation.

As foreign policy emerged as a dominant issue in the Democratic primaries and later in the general election, Kerry clung to a nuanced, middle-of-the road -- yet largely consistent -- approach to Iraq. Over and over, Kerry enthusiastically supported a confrontation with Saddam Hussein even as he aggressively criticized Bush for the manner in which he did so.

Kerry repeatedly described Hussein as a dangerous menace who must be disarmed or eliminated, demanded that the U.S. build broad international support for any action in Iraq and insisted that the nation had better plan for the post-war peace.

There were times when Kerry's emphasis shifted for what appear to be political reasons. In the fall of 2003, for example, when former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean surged to the top of Democratic polls based on an anti-war platform, Kerry's criticism of the president grew stronger. There are many instances in which clumsy phrases and tortuously long explanations make Kerry difficult to follow. And there are periods, such as last week, when the sharpness of Kerry's words restating old positions seem to suggest a change.

Yet taken as a whole, Kerry has offered the same message ever since talk of attacking Iraq became a national conversation more than two years ago.

"Let there be no doubt or confusion about where we stand on this. I will support a multilateral effort to disarm (Hussein) by force, if we ever exhaust ... other options,'' Kerry said 23 months ago on the Senate floor before voting to authorize the force, imploring Bush to take the matter to the United Nations.

"If we do wind up going to war with Iraq, it is imperative that we do so with others in the international community," Kerry said, insisting that Bush work with the United Nations. "If he fails to do so, I will be among the first to speak out,'' Kerry said.

Republicans have hit the flip-flop charge hard. The Republican National Committee produced an 11-minute video, widely distributed on the Internet, which features dozens of seemingly inconsistent Kerry statements and the soundtrack to the 1960s television show "Flipper.'' Bush supporters distributed Kerry flip-flop sandals to delegates at the GOP convention last month, the Bush campaign produced a Kerry flip-flop game for its Web site, and the president brings it up almost every day on the campaign trail.

The crux of the flip-flopping charge is based on pitting Kerry's pointed criticism of the war against his October 2002 vote to authorize the use of force, a vote the Democratic senator defends to this day.

Republicans are not the only ones who characterize the vote as an endorsement of war. Many Democrats, including Dean, warned that a vote in favor of the resolution would be tantamount to giving Bush a blank check to go to war. Even today, many Democrats are aghast at Kerry's insistence that, knowing everything he knows now, he would cast the same vote.

Kerry, who was one of 29 Democratic senators to support the resolution, said the vote was appropriate to strengthen the president's hand in negotiations, and he draws a distinction between his vote and an endorsement of the March 2003 attack.

"Congressional action on this resolution is not the end of our national debate on how best to disarm Iraq,'' Kerry said on the eve of the vote. "Nor does it mean we have exhausted all of our peaceful options to achieve this goal.''

Republicans ridicule such distinctions and use Kerry's vote as the basis for their assertion that Kerry once favored the war.

"He voted for it,'' said Republican national chairman Ed Gillespie when asked Wednesday to back the charge that Kerry supported the war. "Look at the coverage at the time, it was pretty clear what was going on.''

Yet in the fall of 2002, several months before the air strikes on Baghdad began, Bush himself insisted the vote was not the same as a declaration of war but instead gave him the hand he needed to negotiate the peace.

"If you want to keep the peace, you've got to have the authorization to use force,'' Bush said in September 2002. "It's a chance for Congress to say, 'we support the administration's ability to keep the peace.' That's what this is all about.''

The Bush campaign frequently cites Kerry's seemingly incongruous statement at a West Virginia rally in March as another example of his inconsistency.

"I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it,'' Kerry said regarding the Bush administration's request for more funding for the Iraq operation.

The line has been used in Bush campaign commercials, and the campaign distributed a memo Tuesday suggesting the vote raises doubts about Kerry's commitment to U.S. troops.

The White House is aware that the statement does not reflect a contradiction but an inelegant way of defending a pair of Senate votes. Kerry voted for a measure that paid for the $87 billion by reducing tax cuts for those who earn more than $300,000. He voted against a measure that paid for the $87 billion by adding to the deficit.

The biggest shifts in Kerry's language seem to appear at the high-water marks of the war -- shortly after the fall of Baghdad in April 2003 and after the capture of Hussein the following December -- when he seems less critical of the Bush policy.

Two days after Bush stood before the "Mission Accomplished'' sign and declared major combat over, Kerry participated in a forum with rival Democratic presidential candidates.

ABC's George Stephanopoulos asked the candidates if the war was the right decision at the right time.

"I said at the time I would have preferred if we had given diplomacy a greater opportunity,'' Kerry said, "but I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein. And when the president made the decision, I support him and I support the fact that we did disarm him.''

By contrast, Dean in response to the same question called it the "wrong war at the wrong time,'' using language very similar to what Kerry has said recently.

Perhaps the words that Kerry will have the hardest time explaining today are those he uttered three days after Hussein was captured. Dean, who had emerged as Kerry's strongest challenger for the Democratic nomination, said that while Hussein's capture was good news, it had not "made America any safer. ''

Kerry seized on the statement, telling students at Drake University, "Those who doubted whether Iraq or the world would be better off without Saddam Hussein, and those who believe we are not safer with his capture, don't have the judgment to be president or the credibility to be elected president.''

Kerry's enthusiastic words seem to conflict with his statement Monday at New York University.

"Saddam Husein was a brutal dictator who deserves his own special place in hell. But ... the satisfaction we take in his downfall does not hide this fact: We have traded a dictator for a chaos that has left America less secure, '' Kerry said.

For a candidate who has been in elected office nearly a quarter of a century, Kerry has at times shown a remarkable inability to explain the nuances of his position.

Asked by radio host Don Imus last week to explain how he could be so critical of the war yet stand by his vote to authorize the use of force, Kerry responded with a 324-word answer, including a discussion of no-fly zones and Iraqi tribal separatism.

The response left Imus -- a self-described Kerry supporter -- perplexed.

"I was just back in my office banging my head on the jukebox,'' Imus told listeners when the interview was over. "This is my candidate, and ... I don't know what he's talking about.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Editor's note

An examination of President Bush's stance on the war in Iraq will be published next week.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

One million deaths is a statistic" ~Joseph Stalin
yoaliens3000
Veteran

Post by yoaliens3000 »

Originally posted by StressedOut@Sep 28 2004, 06:00 PM

yes, we all want to see how badly bush will butcher the english language during the debate

bush has actually proved himself in the debates. last year he did great. surprisingly, he is a great debater.
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

Originally posted by yoaliens3000@Sep 28 2004, 10:04 PM

bush has actually proved himself in the debates. last year he did great. surprisingly, he is a great debater.

I agree, but I find it kind of funny that the republicans are trying to lower expectations by saying that Kerry is better. But, that's politics for ya...

Doug
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames »

Originally posted by StressedOut@Sep 28 2004, 03:00 PM

Me too.

He makes up words. It's so hilarious to see him speak.

Hopefully - Kerry will back him into a corner where he actually has to think.

And then Kerry will win. I found it horrifying that Gore lost to Bush. But then, Gore looked like a block of wood when he spoke.

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
5a5
Veteran

Post by 5a5 »

kerry contradicts himself on everything, it's so funny he has two opinions on everything, i agree he could have an argument with himself
Now you'll find with everything you lose

Your path clears with everything you choose

Is there someway I can show you

The best is yet to come
Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

If any of you watched the debate tonigh, I did not see any flip flopping from Kerry. He actually laid out his facts and plans very well and then very amusingly Bush tried to call him a flip flopper.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

Originally posted by 5a5@Sep 30 2004, 07:15 PM

kerry contradicts himself on everything, it's so funny he has two opinions on everything, i agree he could have an argument with himself

Read the article I posted in this thread.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

One million deaths is a statistic" ~Joseph Stalin
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

Originally posted by Emily@Sep 30 2004, 10:22 PM

If any of you watched the debate tonigh, I did not see any flip flopping from Kerry. He actually laid out his facts and plans very well and then very amusingly Bush tried to call him a flip flopper.

I didnt see much of it. Since I live in a residence in Canada and all. But from what I saw, Bush did pretty good. He's more than he's cracked up to be among the dems.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
5a5
Veteran

Post by 5a5 »

Originally posted by FryGuy+Sep 30 2004, 11:41 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (FryGuy @ Sep 30 2004, 11:41 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-5a5@Sep 30 2004, 07:15 PM

Read the article I posted in this thread.[/b][/quote]

i did , what's ur point? i stand behind what i said before
Now you'll find with everything you lose

Your path clears with everything you choose

Is there someway I can show you

The best is yet to come
Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

Then you stand behind something that's not there. So what are you really standing behind?

Kerry laid everything out, there is no 'flip flopping'.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image
yoaliens3000
Veteran

Post by yoaliens3000 »

Originally posted by Emily@Oct 4 2004, 11:14 PM

Then you stand behind something that's not there. So what are you really standing behind?

Kerry laid everything out, there is no 'flip flopping'.

just alot of misinterpretations that trick the american people.