Americans

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Americans

Post by Jaegermeister »

As I was flying over these past two weeks, I've noticed something kind of disturbing and yet true (at least I think). Americans are sheep. They don't want to feel safe, they want to be scared into complying. When I went through security at the Pittsburg airport, my bag (the checked luggage) had to be completely searched through. The lady who was searching my bag did some sort of chemical test and told me not to wear any of my underwear until I washed it. I was so pissed off. I told her I was going to have limited access to washing machines and may not be able to wash my underwear, which is why I had so much of it! She didn't care. If anything she was pissed because I wasn't complying or whatever. Then, she went through my toileties, pulled out my razor, and said "You won't be needing this" and went to throw it away. I was so furious I flat out told her "That's a $10 razor. The only way you are throwing that away is if you are handing me $10 right now to buy a new one. I will need to shave while over there because I don't like facial hair." She put my razor back, but got a supervisor or something who came over and bitched me out because I 'wasn't interested in national security' or some bullshit like that. I told him I was all for national security and stopping terrorists but a shaving razor in a toiletries bag probably wasn't going to be used as a weapon. Finally the stupid w*re finished checking my bag, and then because she had practically thrown everything all over the place, couldn't get it closed. I looked at her and said, "Tough luck lady. Get my bag closed so I can get out of here. I'm sick of this place." She was really pissed. Then in security checkpoint I wasn't allowed to take my orange juice through because I could be hiding something in it. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT ALL ABOUT!? Hello, paid money for the juice, not just gonna throw it away. By this point I was so ticked that I stood there and chugged my orange juice, then threw it away. He was pretty pissed but I wasn't going to throw away juice that I paid money for. Finally after all that I got on my plane. I got to the Frankfurt airport in Germany and had to go through a German security checkpoint. Something on me set off the metal detector, and as the guy was wanding me my friend was laughing. After I was done the guy turned to my friend and said "I'm gonna remember you so next time you come through he (me) can have a good laugh too." He said it as a joke, and it was great. I had similar experiences (the relaxed atmosphere, not the wanding) at Berlin and the two London airports I flew to/from. The security was tight, but not without a sense of humor like the American security. It caused me to think, what made Pittsburgh so different? Then the image struck me of sheep being herded by a dog. After September 11, Americans are so scared to fly that they don't want to feel safe. They want to feel scared, just like the sheep do when they are running away from the dogs. That's why there are military guards with armed and loaded assault rifles at security. We want to be scared because when you see things that are scary like that you think you feel safe, when really you are just living in such a state of fear that you will do anything for even the appearence of safety. The guard dogs (secuity, police, military) stand around looking vicious so that you won't be tempted to go anywhere near the wrong direction. That really bugs me though. I don't want to live in a nation of sheep.

Sorry this topic has really been bugging me for 2 weeks and I need to vent.

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Queergrrl
Loyal

Re: Americans

Post by Queergrrl »

That is a shitty experience. Lets just hope they catch a terroist from all that nit pickey stuff.
Samantha Queergrrl

xpennyroyalx@hotmail.com

my world.my love.my gun.

1800-SUICIDE (7842433)

http://www.cap.gov
Minx
Loyal

Post by Minx »

as an american i kidna take offense to what u wrote but its all gravy baby...u ust gotta know not all americans are sheep...so yeah me nto a sheep
Dose it honestly really matter? think about it
snoop83
Loyal

Post by snoop83 »

well sorry but if someone blew up some of your buildings you would feel the same...but we are not all "sheep" the people at the airports just dont' want anything else to happen and thats why they check, they are just doing the job somebody told them to do...yea i know it gets hectic but hey its life
WAR... THE ONLY WAY TO PEACE... I DON'T FALL FOR THAT

"Maybe I'm crazy but laughing out loud makes the pain pass by."

"Fools are we if hates the gate to peace"

"There are bad times but that's ok..just look for the love in it"

"9 planets areound the sun, only does the sum imbrace, upon this watered one, so much we take for granted"

"We'll fight back the pain with love"
nj100688
Veteran

Post by nj100688 »

i'm an american and i think everything u said was true. the security guards u got r just assholes. there is no reason to make someone get rid of a razor. what r u going to do? shave someone to death? it'll probably get better as the years go by. i've brought food on the plane but they never said anything to me. u might have looked suspicous though. lol

i know its better that we have more security but some of the things they do r just plain stupid. i heard about this one lady that had to drink her own breast milk or the guy wouldn't let her on the plane.
its better to have people think you're stupid then open your mouth and prove it

If you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill

people often over look that a one in a million chances is still a chance
partykid12
Veteran

Post by partykid12 »

Honestly, if I would have been the guard, I would have bitched you out instead of just taking your shit. But hey that's just me. I think that its not good to give them a hard time when they are just doing their job, they are the ones that are making the air safer to fly in. The chemical test they did was simply to check for explosive residue that could have been left on your luggage if in fact you were playing around with a gun or a plastic explosive.

I mean is it really that hard to comply? You are giving up about 15 extra minutes of your time at most for the satisfaction of a safe flight. By the way, it clearly states on the security check point signs that you are not allowed to take drinks or food of any kind inside the gates, so thats your bad for not checking.

Look I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but as much as it bugs you that they made you do that, it bugs me when you talk bad about them. I used to be in retail and I used to hate people that would get pissed at me for just doing my job... its' kewl though because I went out with a bang and towards the end of my employment there I would just not care anymore and tell the customers either to fuck off, or I would make them feel so stupid that they would leave... ahhh I miss those days.

[edit] Oh and by the way, what the hell were you thinking taking a razor with you on your carry on bag?? That is like a given fact that you should expect some questions for that... next time put it in your checked baggage. I fly all the time, both domestic and international, and I dont mind the increased security because I feel safe while flying. Also my mother used to work for USAirways and would tell me all the shit people would do and how they would talk to her... just remember next time that they are doing their job and you are giving someone a hard time for nothing they can prevent.
I used to get high on life until I realized it was cut with morons..
nj100688
Veteran

Post by nj100688 »

I mean is it really that hard to comply?
i would have been really pissed too if they scaned my underwear and then said u should wash it before u wear it. when people r on vaction they usally don't have much access to laundry mats. but the other stuff does seem like they were just doing what they were told. if u want to complain to someone i guess u should say something to the FAA (i think that's the one). u should also think next time of checking in your laugage. just a thought

xxwhereisfredxx
Veteran

Post by xxwhereisfredxx »

yeah, i think airport security is getting a little out of hand. I mean, sure... check us and all that... but don't go overboard, and don't be assholes about it. I mean, i live in canada, and i flew about a month before sept. 11th, and then again a year later... and the difference was like WOA! my first flight was international, and there was no searching of bags or anything of the sort... and my second flight (after 9/11) was DOMESTIC IN CANADA and they friggin went through all my stuff, and swabbed my DISCMAN for gun powder.. i mean honestly .. i think they're taking it a LITTLE TOO FAR!
When I hear somebody sigh that Life is hard, I am always tempted to ask, Compared to what?

If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.

You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not?

It is a hard matter, my fellow citizens, to argue with the belly, since it has no ears.

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

Sorry Minx... I'm not implying everyone is a sheep, but there are a lot of people out there who are. When I talk about people like this it's usually not about people here because we are usually the exception instead of the rule.

Perhaps I did go a bit too far, but I'm sorry, I was pissed off. It was not 15 minutes of my time, it was damn near an hour and a half of my time. My razor was in my checked baggage, this was when they were going through my checked luggage. Yes they were doing their job, but it is so horrible I was at the airport 2 and a half hours early and I wasn't at my gate until they were mid boarding the plane. It's getting fucking insane how long security checkpoints are taking. Are they really catching any terrorists? So they caught the guy with razors in his shoes. Metal detectors caught them. No matter what, doing something to my underwear that makes me have to wash them before I can wear them is TOO much. Period.

TJ

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
nj100688
Veteran

Post by nj100688 »

No matter what, doing something to my underwear that makes me have to wash them before I can wear them is TOO much. Period.
definitly.

partykid12
Veteran

Post by partykid12 »

I dont agree. If they have to check it for explosives then I'm all for it if its going to get me to my destination safely. I hear boats dont have as bad security .. maybe you should hit up the boat to go across the atlantic? Flying is a luxury not a right. People are out there enforcing saftey precautions for you to get to wherever it is your going safely.

Put yourselves in their shoes. You are standing in front of metal detector or looking at a xray screen for over 8 hours a day and have to deal with probably 100's if not 1000's of people bitching and complaing at you, I would definetly be pissed off.
I used to get high on life until I realized it was cut with morons..
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

Lots of people, luckily not me this time, but many times that people fly are flying somewhere for vacation or something where they won't have access to a washing machine. If they really wanna search my bag for explosives, fine whatever, I'll allow that. But if you are doing shit to my UNDERWEAR, then it's getting personal. I mean she didn't just wave a wand around my underwear to check or anything like that, she squirted something on there. Hello, I packed my clothes clean for a reason, and the reason was not for some stupid person to make it dirty. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to check for things like explosives, but find a different way. There are ways that don't require things being applied to my personal items, so why don't they use that?!

TJ

PS and yes I think I'm gonna swim across the Atlantic next time. Hell, the way things are at airports now with all the different lines you have to stand in now it wouldn't take that much longer. Come on, getting to the airport 4 or MORE hours before your flight? That's ridiculous. The airplane has become popular because it is convienent and a relatively fast form of transportation. A lot of people who fly don't have the ability to be at the airport 4 hours early. I was 2 and a half and I still barely made my flight.

And another thing. So they check for explosives and all that shit. Great. Do you think they realize that I could probably take over a plane with a paper clip, a pen, my belt, and that's it? Use the paper clip and your belt prong to jimmy the cockpit door, and with a sharp pen I could probably kill anyone in my way. Other than that, I could use my hands. Would people try to fight me? Probably not, by the time they realized what was going on it'd almost be too late, and even if they did an airplane aisle is so thin that only one person could really attack me at a time. Just putting things in perspective. And at the same time, terrorists aren't stupid. Stupid people didn't cause September 11. And you would have to be pretty stupid to try something that worked the first time again a second. I highly doubt any terrorist is going to try anything with an airplane again anytime soon.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
ice_princess
Loyal

Post by ice_princess »

wow.

that was long.

i must confess that i havn't read the etire thing... :P

but anyways, i must say, that for arabs, the checkings in israel are worser. for jews they r ok, we not suspected...

anyways, i don't know if u know it, but inthe airport of mincen,or somewher else in germany, there is a specail duty free for israelies, and other stuff aspecially for us

and when my bro went there, he was forced to take a pic in the airport, that the ppl in it will know that his camera is a camera and not a bomb...
"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it." - buffy ann summers
Queergrrl
Loyal

Post by Queergrrl »

Originally posted by Queergrrl+Mar 25 2003, 04:08 PM--<div class='quotetop'QUOTE(Queergrrl @ Mar 25 2003, 04:08 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-squee@Mar 25 2003, 11:18 AM

racist stereotyping hurts my head

i hope some white person pulls some stunt like that, so they all know ITS NOT ONLY ARABS WHO HAVE PULLED TERRORIST ACTS ON AMERICA AND ITS PEOPLE

*rolls eyes* you people and political correctness. We know Americans are bad too. But if someone just robbed a bank and is getting away and the police say it is a young black man with blue hair that got away, is it racist to pull over all the black young men with blue hair? No. Is it racial profiling? Maybe. But who cares, it will lead to getting the bank robber. Thus if terrorists are middle eastern, is it wrong to check their luggage? Not to mention we are checking everyones no matter what they are.

And i will have to see how this got to a racist thing ...[/b]
Samantha Queergrrl

xpennyroyalx@hotmail.com

my world.my love.my gun.

1800-SUICIDE (7842433)

http://www.cap.gov
nj100688
Veteran

Post by nj100688 »

hope some white person pulls some stunt like that, so they all know ITS NOT ONLY ARABS WHO HAVE PULLED TERRORIST ACTS ON AMERICA AND ITS PEOPLE

um a white person has. unibomer? oklahoma city? white people have done terrorist things before. its just the government's too stupid to realize racial profiling won't get u anywhere