Polls Are Unimportant!

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Doug
Veteran

Polls Are Unimportant!

Post by Doug »

I've noticed on pretty much every news show they pay so much attention to polls every single damn day. I see Kerry ahead by 3 or Bush ahead by 3 or both of them deadlocked, or someone taking a huge lead...then losing it the next day. Here is why they are unimportant...

1) They ask 700-1000 people. This is a nation of 250 million with a ton of newly registered voters on both sides. I don't care how "scientific" it is, it's not accurate.

2) Popular vote doesn't matter much anyway. We have an electoral college system. It is very possible (and rather likely) that Bush wins the popular vote by 3%, but Kerry wins the election. This happens because the Republican base is huge and they vote...but they all live in the same states. In Texas, it is Bush 60% Kerry 37%. In Utah, Bush 64% Kerry 27%. It is very important to pay attention to states, not the nation as a whole.

Sorry, I just wanted to get this out. I will also be posting links to electoral college maps (unbiased, of course) later tonight. They change (sometimes drastically) everyday, so it's important to keep up on it to find out who the REAL winner is likely to be.

Doug
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
yoaliens3000
Veteran

Re: Polls Are Unimportant!

Post by yoaliens3000 »

what other simple way would be like to use to find out the publics opinion? polls are the only option.
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

I'd rather it remain a mystery than take a poll of 700 people and say "This is what the nation thinks."

Doug
yoaliens3000
Veteran

Post by yoaliens3000 »

its not like they have had any failures used this method. they usually follow how the election will end out.

i think your just mad bc bush has been leading in the polls lately.

he he, j/k ;) :P

edit: source - http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls.html

edit2: i missed arguing with you and everyone else, its nice to be back
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

Lol, yeah, it has been less difficult to get my point across lately...:P

Yeah, usually they're rather on the mark, but usually it's a pretty wide margin. I just think that when you take a national poll and the results are withing 5% each way, it's pretty useless.

Doug
A! Elbereth
Needs Another Hobby

Post by A! Elbereth »

It's not like the polls do anythng in the first place... it's nice to think that they are accurate, but I do agree they are not. There's no other way to get any kind of idea on who is doing better though, so oh well.

I don't really care about the polls... I care about the outcome this November and what those polls will say, and those little polls won't tell me anything.
Your soul.

Your body.

Your mind.

Keep it Purified.

But give me love over, love over, love over this... ~Coldplay

Dr. Wilson:
I forgot I needed a reason to give a crap.

Dr. House: You're actually giving two craps.

Dr. Wilson: The metric system always confused me.
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

Here's another thing that may be throwing these polls off...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,136394,00.html

Are Cell Phones Skewing Polls?

Saturday, October 23, 2004

By Jane Roh

NEW YORK ? Recent polls show President Bush (search) with either a slight lead over challenger John Kerry (search) or the two rivals virtually tied, but some election watchers wonder if those results are valid because of one seldom-mentioned "swing" group: cell phone users.

Pollsters generally do not contact cell phone users because of prohibitive Federal Communications Commission (search) restrictions, and some political experts believe they are skewing poll results ? possibly by as much as 1 or 2 percent.

"The government and the FCC are going to have to let pollsters get through to cell phone users," said Democratic strategist Bob Beckel. "When tens of thousands of people every month are opting out of land lines, you can't leave that segment out of polling and expect to have anything accurate."

More than 170 million Americans own cell phones, according to the Wireless Association (search) in Washington, and the number of those ditching their home phones altogether ? 6 percent ? seems to be climbing.

The trend may present an additional complication to pollsters already confounded by caller I.D. and voice mail. It is illegal for polling organizations to use auto-dialing equipment to call cell phone numbers, and while they are allowed to contact cell phones manually, they cannot do so at the cost to the cell phone's owner.

Most research organizations rely heavily on auto-dialing equipment rather than manual dialing for cost efficiency, which means current polling methods could be excluding millions of potential voters.

Many of those left out are young people. Twelve percent of Americans under 35 years of age, and 14 percent of 18- to 24-year-olds, use cell phones exclusively.

Eric Nielsen of the Gallup Poll (search) said that while he is concerned about the issue, the demographic sampling of even young cellular-only users is comparable to the pool already available to his organization.

"The people who are cell-phone-only users are not one demographic, and that's something people are overlooking in this whole debate," Nielsen said. "Young adult polling is not heavily for one candidate over the other; they're splitting pretty evenly."

Nielsen urged caution on Beckel's push for an FCC rule change, saying that even if technology made it possible for polling organizations to pick up the tab they could still face liability issues, for instance, when calling people while they're driving.

Some cellular-only people said they wouldn't mind participating in surveys, particularly those of a political nature.

"If it was like a Gallup Poll about the election I'd talk to them," said Rawan Abdelrazek, a 31-year-old economist at the World Bank (search) in Washington, D.C. But "they should pick up the cost ... because you're paying for the minutes," she added.

Elyse Gammer, operations officer for the Market Research Association (search), believes the cellular-only trend will make polls increasingly unreliable, but predicts changing attitudes toward new technology will help the industry adjust.

"If the cell phone is an extension of the communications package, then naturally there will be a cultural shift," she said, predicting that consumers may eventually become accustomed to taking survey calls on their personal cell phones.

One prominent pollster believes if the industry doesn't react soon it will face serious problems. In a press release last month, John Zogby wrote that while telephone polling currently works, the industry will face a crisis within the next decade as more Americans ditch their home phones. Already, more firms are conducting online polls, which many see as the wave of the future.

But the cell phone issue might not just be a matter of numbers. Beckel believes the polling rules may be disproportionately excluding minorities and poor people.

"A certain demographic of people who use their cell phone as their major phone, they tend to be more downward economically, they tend to be more minorities ... it's probably a more Democratic vote," Beckel said.

? FOX News' Megyn Kendall contributed to this report.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

One million deaths is a statistic" ~Joseph Stalin