Peta Campaign Pitches Fish As Smart And Sensitive

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

yoaliens3000
Veteran

Peta Campaign Pitches Fish As Smart And Sensitive

Post by yoaliens3000 »

NEW YORK - Touting tofu chowder and vegetarian sushi as alternatives, animal-rights activists have launched a novel campaign arguing that fish ? contrary to stereotype ? are intelligent, sensitive animals no more deserving of being eaten than a pet dog or cat.

Called the Fish Empathy Project, the campaign reflects a strategy shift by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals as it challenges a diet component widely viewed as nutritious and uncontroversial.

"No one would ever put a hook through a dog's or cat's mouth," said Bruce Friedrich, PETA's director of vegan outreach. "Once people start to understand that fish, although they come in different packaging, are just as intelligent, they'll stop eating them."

The campaign is in its infancy and will face broad skepticism. Major groups such as the American Heart Association (news - web sites) recommend fish as part of a healthy diet; some academics say it is wrong to portray the intelligence and pain sensitivity of fish as comparable to mammals.

"Fish are very complex organisms that do all sorts of fascinating things," said University of Wyoming neuroscientist James Rose. "But to suggest they know they what's happening to them and worry about it, that's just not the case."

PETA, headquartered in Norfolk, Va., has campaigned for years against sport fishing, challenging claims by Rose and others that fish caught by anglers do not feel pain. PETA also has joined other critics in decrying the high levels of mercury or other toxins in many fish and the pollution discharged by many fish farms.

The Empathy Project is a departure in two respects ? attempting to depict the standard practices of commercial fishing as cruel and seeking to convince consumers that there are ethical reasons for not eating fish.

"Fish are so misunderstood because they're so far removed from our daily lives," said Karin Robertson, 24, the Empathy Project manager and daughter of an Indiana fisheries biologist. "They're such interesting, fascinating individuals, yet they're so incredibly abused."

continued at http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&c ... &printer=1

i dont know, i think this is kinda wierd. even if it is true, which is may infact be, it seems to have a few scientific sources, i dont think think it will really matter. most people who eat fish, eat other meat too. so why all of the sudden would this knowledge that fish feel pain change someones mind when they are already eating beef. they already know in fact that cows and pigs feel pain. i just dont think they will be the responce they are looking for. but anyways, all of the peta's campaigns are extremely controversial and it seems like they just like to cause trouble. hell just look at the website http://fishinghurts.com/ . talk about an interesting read.
The Black Hat
Veteran

Re: Peta Campaign Pitches Fish As Smart And Sensitive

Post by The Black Hat »

Fish are FOOD not FRIENDS. End of discussion.
Respectfully,

Black Hat

Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

This shouldn't surprise anyone. They also tried to change Wisconsin's official drink from milk to beer.

Doug
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

Originally posted by The Black Hat@Nov 16 2004, 05:03 PM

Fish are FOOD not FRIENDS. End of discussion.

And damn tasty food at that.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh »

Oh gosh.

PETA... hmmm... going a little overboard? :rolleyes:
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"
FryGuy
Veteran

Post by FryGuy »

Originally posted by Shwynsh@Nov 17 2004, 02:27 PM

Oh gosh.

Nope, just another day in the life of PETA.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" ~Plato

.533K:

"One death is a tragedy,

One million deaths is a statistic" ~Joseph Stalin
wagon_wheel
Loyal

Post by wagon_wheel »

Peta makes me mad!! Anyways there saying that once we realize how smart fish are and all that junk, we won't eat them because we will see them on the same level as dogs and cats...what about the people who do eat dogs and cats?

I'm suprised theres nothing about the movie Finding Nemo in that article because I do remember a while back they were using Nemo as "evidence" for fish being sensitive and not wanting to leave there homes...blah blah blah...

lol.
[center] "Hot glassware looks just like cold glassware."

"Love is grand; divorce is a hundred grand."

^~^

=(o.o)=

(")_(")

[/center]
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames »

Originally posted by Shwynsh@Nov 17 2004, 03:27 PM

Oh gosh.

PETA always goes overboard darling. What are YOU talking about? :-P

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
Sierra
Loyal

Post by Sierra »

I'd like to see the evidence behind all this that proves fish are just as intelligent as cats and dogs. It seems PETA people always assume that if an organism is living and breathing then it is a highly intelligent being that demands the utmost respect from humans. Honestly. What next? A ban on bug spray so as not to harm mosquitos when they suck our blood every day? Oh i can see it now "Mosquitos are smart and sensitive......"

The apple falls far from the tree

she's rotten and so beautiful

I'd like to keep her here with me

and tell her that she's beautiful

She takes the pills to fall asleep

and dreams that she's invisible

Tormented dreams she stays awake

recalls when she was capable...

pynkgodde55
Loyal

Post by pynkgodde55 »

Wow! Hmmmmm...... St. Jude is a wonderful organization. We'll all agree to that correct? Well, lets see. St. Jude helps kids. PeTA helps animals. What's so wrong with that? At least they're doing it. Something they believe in instead of sitting around saying gee, I wish someone would save the animals. So what if they're radical. (BTW, I love their fish campaign) Are they hurting you? Are they messing up your life? No, I didn't think so. Sometimes they can go overboard but not by implementing a campaign. Its not like people say the NAACP was a bad campaign/organization. (They are in some ways equal, treatment wise) They aren't hurting you so lay off.
[center]Image[/center]

[center]Xanga/MySpace[/center][center]Wanna Know More about Jen?[/center]
yoaliens3000
Veteran

Post by yoaliens3000 »

Originally posted by pynkgodde55@Nov 18 2004, 10:13 AM

Wow! Hmmmmm...... St. Jude is a wonderful organization. We'll all agree to that correct? Well, lets see. St. Jude helps kids. PeTA helps animals. What's so wrong with that? At least they're doing it. Something they believe in instead of sitting around saying gee, I wish someone would save the animals. So what if they're radical. (BTW, I love their fish campaign) Are they hurting you? Are they messing up your life? No, I didn't think so. Sometimes they can go overboard but not by implementing a campaign. Its not like people say the NAACP was a bad campaign/organization. (They are in some ways equal, treatment wise) They aren't hurting you so lay off.

dont even get me started on the peta. the peta does not help animals. they peta is a greedy organization looking out for money. comparing peta to st jude is extremely disrespectful. peta will never be on the level as st jude. st jude is a wonderful organization. i love the they arnt hurting me so lay off comment, good ending. all the peta does is try to make people feel bad without even providing an valid alternative.

so just because it isnt hurting me or messing up my life means i cant talk about it? im sorry, but that is crazy.
Sierra
Loyal

Post by Sierra »

Originally posted by pynkgodde55@Nov 18 2004, 08:13 AM

Just because something doesn't hurt me doesn't mean I can't have views on it. I'm not ignorant.

I'm with yoaliens.

Ignorance is bliss though huh?

The apple falls far from the tree

she's rotten and so beautiful

I'd like to keep her here with me

and tell her that she's beautiful

She takes the pills to fall asleep

and dreams that she's invisible

Tormented dreams she stays awake

recalls when she was capable...

pynkgodde55
Loyal

Post by pynkgodde55 »

PeTA, a money grubbing org. Hah! You don't know the first thing about PeTA then.

all the peta does is try to make people feel bad without even providing an valid alternative.

I loved this one. What does st jude do? The same damn thing. Showing hurt kids to get people to pay them. What's the difference? PetA actually uses the money to help animals. Be it by organizing events, Running of the Nudes, or sending out activism materials, advertising, etc. Just because its not them buying a farm to rescue the animals people think they don't help. THey do!
[center]Image[/center]

yoaliens3000
Veteran

Post by yoaliens3000 »

Originally posted by pynkgodde55@Nov 19 2004, 03:05 PM

PeTA, a money grubbing org. Hah! You don't know the first thing about PeTA then.

all the peta does is try to make people feel bad without even providing an valid alternative.

I loved this one. What does st jude do? The same damn thing. Showing hurt kids to get people to pay them. What's the difference? PetA actually uses the money to help animals. Be it by organizing events, Running of the Nudes, or sending out activism materials, advertising, etc. Just because its not them buying a farm to rescue the animals people think they don't help. THey do!

lmao, you actually think that? they dont use money to help animals... in 2001. out of there 14,000,000 dollar revenue, they used 206,000 helping animals. thats only 1.8% of the 14 million. yea. what a wonderful organization.

source: http://www.undueinfluence.com/PETA%20990%202001.pdf

spreading their radical ideas around does not help animals. all they do it make money. they are a terrible organization. i dont know whats worse, comparing the killing of animals to the holocast or lying to the american people saying they help animals.

you truly just showed your ignorance about st jude. st jude is a freakin childrens research hospital that actually saves people lives and helps society. your supporting a greedy organization that does nothing.

looks as if u dont know the first thing about the peta. :rolleyes:
pynkgodde55
Loyal

Post by pynkgodde55 »

Yeah thats why I contributed to st jude for a year cuz I didn't know what they did. hell, I didn't even shed a tear when I saw children dying. You know, you don't know anything about PeTA. You don't know what they do. Your refering to a tax return in 2001. Its 2004. i've read their tax return. U should too.
[center]Image[/center]

yoaliens3000
Veteran

Post by yoaliens3000 »

Originally posted by pynkgodde55@Nov 19 2004, 05:19 PM

Yeah thats why I contributed to st jude for a year cuz I didn't know what they did. hell, I didn't even shed a tear when I saw children dying. You know, you don't know anything about PeTA. You don't know what they do. Your refering to a tax return in 2001. Its 2004. i've read their tax return. U should too.

lol this isnt an argument about who knows more about the peta. this is an argument about the peta. so far you have proven that you know nothing about the peta. you give no proof. my posts are filled with proof and explanations, un like yours.

this is pretty funny.
pynkgodde55
Loyal

Post by pynkgodde55 »

You want proof?

Annual Report

Just for grins and giggles.

IRS Form for 2003
[center]Image[/center]

yoaliens3000
Veteran

Post by yoaliens3000 »

Originally posted by pynkgodde55@Nov 22 2004, 10:19 AM

You want proof?

Annual Report

Just for grins and giggles.

IRS Form for 2003

im not sure if linking me to that peta website constitutes as proof. obviously they are biased and will sugar code everything. i can find anything on the tax form that states where the money actually goes. please, help me. if i am being retarded and just read over it, tell me.