Cell Phone Usage In Europe

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Paris In Flames
Veteran

Cell Phone Usage In Europe

Post by Paris In Flames »

Hey,

So I have a plan with Tmobile, and it expires in August. I need my phone to work in Europe next summer (preferrably France, Hungary, Germany, and England) for 3 months.

Does anybody know how I can do this cost efficiently? I already contacted Tmobile and they don't offer service in France, which is where I REALLY need service in. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
OverDrive
Veteran

Re: Cell Phone Usage In Europe

Post by OverDrive »

Join the realm of VoIP

Get a Voice over IP phone and make sure you have an internet connection that is high speed. You can hook it up to any high speed network and phone from it anywhere in the world..... depending who you go with, and your plan, either free long distance anywhere in the world for i believe 28 bux a month US or 22 a month canadian plus300 min free and extra time is like 6 cents a min or something

A voice over IP phone is a regular phone, that instead of hooking up to a traditional phone line, hooks up into a computer network and uses the internet to phone long distances to NORMAL phones. Jonathan, our server host, has one and in August we talked on the phone when he was in Israel. The sound quality is great but can be degredated with speed issues (it uses about 16k to send and receive the voice communication approximately) so if someone is MASSIVLY downlading taking up your bandwidth, it will degrade, but not to the point of not understanding.

Also, you can't say you're not technically natured to run one of these, but they sell starter kits at best buy (here in canada), not only that, but you've used this technology on Skype.... only thing is, you`used your computer to talk to me through the computer instead of phone to phone.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Paris In Flames
Veteran

I won't really have access to the internet constantly (and whether or not it'd be high speed would be a variable), and I'd like to make the calls without hooking up to something, and use it just like a normal cell phone.

Cheers,

Jenna

NvMyCougar03
Loyal

Post by NvMyCougar03 »

thats gonna be one hell of a long distance bill. i live in michigan along that canada boarder. i have friends in Windsor canada. its 30 miles away and when i call its still considered long distance because its another country. but yet i can call like this shop in cali to order my body kit and its still covered under my sprint plan and its a hella lot farther then windsor. go figure.
you may call me "Darkness Within"
jamie86
Loyal

Post by jamie86 »

well, im resident in europe, and i just use prepaid, but wenn i cross a border it just switches to a local provider, its just a tad more expencive... a big tad...
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Originally posted by jamie86@Jan 10 2005, 03:49 PM

well, im resident in europe, and i just use prepaid, but wenn i cross a border it just switches to a local provider, its just a tad more expencive... a big tad...

[right][/right]

Where do you live in Europe? If I get a prepaid card, will it work with the phone I have now? Will I be able to make calls to the US?

Cheers,

Jenna

Lisa
Loyal

Post by Lisa »

wouldn't you think if you get a phone card for the US and use it in Europe it would be the same price? or am i just stupid?
Being gay doesn't make you any more or less of a person, it's who you are and you can't help loving whom you love. -Jess

Life
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Originally posted by Lisa@Jan 15 2005, 03:05 PM

wouldn't you think if you get a phone card for the US and use it in Europe it would be the same price? or am i just stupid?

[right][/right]

I'm talking about cell phone usage. My phone won't get SERVICE in Europe. I need service from a provider before I can make calls.

Cheers,

Jenna

belis
Loyal

Post by belis »

Just buy yourself pay as you go phone with operator that offers servive in France. If they offer service in France they are probably going to cover Germany and UK as well. Those phones are realy cheap and you do not have to worry about monthly payment. If the phone you have is without a simblock you can simply by a sim card and put it into the phone you already have.
Hop-along
Loyal

Post by Hop-along »

Hay

It depends partley on your cell phone if youy have a quad band phone your cell will work in USA,Europe,Asia and the UK.

by band I meann the frequency of air waves you cell can work on. to work in europe alone you need Band 2. Any SIM card (small electronic card which is where your number is stored). should be capablew of being used anywhere in the world it is simply the band of the phone taht determains it.
Rob
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Rob »

Prepay will work in any non sim-locked cellphone. Other than that, you can call with to anywhere. Price just varies. Also, make sure your current cellphone is compatible with the GSM network over here (and I don't mean provider, but I mean the actual network).