I Get No Respect

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

CanadaCraig
Veteran

I Get No Respect

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Everyone!! :)

"I GET NO RESPECT!!"

Is that what YOUR life is like? Do people seem to treat you as if you don't matter? Are they rude to YOU?

IF you want to know HOW to get respect - then keep reading!!

At the risk of sounding like I'm praising myself - more often than not - people treat me with respect. Why is that? Is it because they think I'm smart? I don't think so. Is it because I'm tall? No. Then what is it?

People [strangers] do NOT know ANYTHING about YOU. So if they are NOT treating YOU respectfully [more often than not] it has to be because of how YOU are acting. Am I suggesting that it's YOUR fault? YES!! That's exactly what I'm suggesting.

So what can you do about it?

The answer to the 'how to get respect' question is a one word answer.

And THAT word is...

MANNERS

It's an old fashioned word - that means 'being polite'.

Sadly - manners do not seem to matter as much - these days - as they once did. People don't feel compelled to say 'thank you' and 'excuse me' and 'how are you?' and 'it was nice talking to you' and so on. And why is that? Does it not matter as much anymore? Is being polite [having manners] a waste of time? NO. Not if 'being respected' is something that matters to you. And NO - not if you care about people and HOPE that THEY will care about YOU.

Even on this message board - many of you are NOT polite. You post a message asking for help. Sometimes - many people go out of their way to help you. And yet YOU never even bother to say - 'thank you'. That is just plain old RUDE. When you meet someone in person - you probably say, "hi". [don't you?] So why don't you say 'hi' when you are talking to someone on the internet? Addressing someone [saying 'hello bob' - or whoever] is a sign of respect. Respect isn't something other people OWE you. It is something you EARN. And the easiest way to EARN respect is to TREAT OTHERS respectfully. And the most obvious way to SHOW someone respect - is to be polite to them.

Many doors have been opened to me for ONE REASON ONLY. I am POLITE. I treat people as I want to be treated. And people respect me for that. And when a person respects you - they want to be NEAR you. And if they want be near you - they will [often times] go out of their way to help you. [help you get a job - help you get a loan - help you with a problem, etc.] It just makes sense - doesn't it? IF you met two strangers - and ONE of them was polite to you and the OTHER ONE was NOT polite - who would YOU have more respect for?

So please - for YOUR SAKE - learn to be polite. And if you're not sure what it means to be polite - ask me - I'll be MORE than happy to help you.

How important are manners? A very powerful business man in the U.S. was once interviewed. He ran a huge company and was in charge of hiring and firing. He said that when someone comes to him looking for a job - they often try to impress upon him just how skilled they are. [which is fine] But what HE is looking for in a new employee are manners. Are they nice? Are they someone you would like to work with, etc.? Skills - he said - can be taught. But politeness was a far more important quality.

Being polite [having manners] also makes you APPEAR smarter. When you are talking to someone - are you listening to them? How do they know? If you're staring at the ground and shuffling your feet - the impression THEY will get is that YOU don't really care about what they are saying. So look someone in the eyes. Confirm that you ARE listening by nodding your head - every now and then. And when it's time for you to say something - respond directly to what THEY said.

What about when you walk through a door. [like in a shopping mall] Do you just open the door enough so YOU can get through? OR do care about the person behind you and hold the door open so THEY can also walk through? [or at least grab the door from you] And if someone holds the door open for you - do YOU say, 'thanks'?

Using swear words isn't polite either. And the quickest way to impress upon someone that you are not all that bright - is to swear. Now whether or not you ARE smart - doesn't matter. What I'm talking about has to do with the impression you give others. You could be a genuis - but if every second word is the F-word [or any other swear word - for that matter] you are NOT going to SOUND like a genius. In fact - you're going to SOUND like a moron. [sorry - but it's true] I often hear young people talking in a mall - and it's really disappointing to hear how often they swear. It makes them SOUND 'cheap'. [and 'stupid'] And it makes me want to walk up to them and tell them to stop it. [because the only reputation they are tarnishing - is their own]

IF you are not being treated very respectfully - ask yourself this question. "How am I coming across to other people - do I act as if I am someone WORTHY of respect?" If not - then do something about it. I think most of you [who tend not to have manners] will be SHOCKED with how much more respectfully YOU are treated IF you treat others with respect.

I'm saying all of this - because it frustrates me when perfectly respectable people [like most of you] are not being treated with respect. And you should be - and you WILL be - IF you are willing to become a person who has manners.

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Re: I Get No Respect

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

Craig, thank you for the tips here, your thoughts are always so wise and meaningful. I can't imagine what we'd do without you. We'd probably suffer for sure. I hope these tips are eye openers for many! Much thanks!
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet
NunchakuSteve
Veteran

Post by NunchakuSteve »

I'm polite, makes me come off older/mature so I know what you're saying buddy.

Thank you craig..I hope a lot of people take this into concideration.
Britt
Veteran

Post by Britt »

Hey Craig! That was really great! You are such a good writer; very pursausive(sp?). I definately agree with you 100%. I think manners are a very important thing to have and it really makes me upset when I see my own friends acting rude and disrespectful. People without manners are probably my biggest pet peeve(sp?). I really don't know how they can just...do that. I hope your little speech here will help some of the teens here who come across it, that don't have the manners they need, will get something out of this. You're an awesome guy!

-Brittney

OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

I'll be making this into an article - damn good - and I only read a few paragraphs.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh »

Wow Craig!

You are so very smart. You're such a good addition to the boards, every post I see you make.

Thank you for this article- I agree with it greatly.
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi PurplePoemPuppet, NunchakuSteve, Britt, OverDrive and Shwynsh!! :)

Thanks for all of the pats on the back. I really appreciate it!!

And Overdrive - I hope you DO make this topic an 'article'. [hint!]

GREAT BIG "I have tremendous respect for ALL of YOU" HUG

ps just so you know - I added my message to my homepage!! :D

Love2Laugh08
Veteran

Post by Love2Laugh08 »

You know whats so great about what you said, its the fact that we all know the answer its just we choose not to go by it. I agree with your information as Im sure anybody else will.But the question is 'If its so easy to earn respect from others, then why aren't don't people just USE MANNERS?' I mean when I go to the mall I always keep the door for others but sometimes people don't keep it open for me when im only a yard away from them and I think, are you truly that lazy or in a hurry that you cant hold it for a couple more seconds. And I sit here thinking of people that dont respect me and I see why, because Im rude to them. I read your little quote in your signature awhile ago and thought that was wrong. But now I read it and think it 100%,why? If someone does something 'stupid' (in my eyes) I can easily can them any kind of name. But if someone has gave me a dirty look I will never be nice to them and its so hard to actually be nice at all, more less if I was nice my ego would go way down, pretty sad eh? Anyways nice words of wisdom!
skaterGuy15
Veteran

Post by skaterGuy15 »

I agree with you Craig :)

And it does annoy me a lot when people put so much effort into a reply, and the person with the problem does not respond at all. No one here owes anyone any help; if they took the time to consider your problem and give you all the help they can, the least you can do is type "Thank you" and post it. I try to remember always to say thank you to every person that replied to my topic.. but I know that sometimes I forget too.
I wish I were a spy.
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

I agree too, Craig. You're one of the greatest role models on this site and I think I'm gonna think on that article. Thank you so much for posting it!
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

Born on: February 26th, 2007

<3

----------------------

"Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief."

SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

Craig,

Thanks for that article.. while I was reading that I sent it to a friend of mine who demands respect from everyone but never wants to give any in return. Sometimes it hurts when you try to help someone and they just are mean to you or you feel like you are talking to the wall instead of a person. I'm going to keep what you said in mind because everyone from time to time forgets to show respect.. especially when its someone who you are comfortable with. :) Thanks Craig .. GBH for Craig :hug:
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

Aw, thats awesome OD :D
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Love2Laugh08, love_in_a_box, Crimson Death, SexyMandy and Beautiful!! :)

:wub:

Thank you ALL very much!!

Each of you - including many other members of HelpingTeens - has helped ME to realize that the world still has some truly wonderful people in it. It's easy to think otherwise - especially when you watch the news. That is WHY HelpingTeens is SO important. The very fact that the site exists is proof that some people STILL care.

And thanks OverDrive!!

A GREAT BIG HUG - just for you!!