The Current State Of Rock

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Toast960
Loyal

The Current State Of Rock

Post by Toast960 »

The following is a personal opinion. I for the record would like to say that I really have nothing against any genre of music as all genres do have good artists. The unfortunate thing is with every decent artist/band, there's about 20 bad ones who are trying to bank on a look/style/etc. If I accidentally post this twice, I apologise but my computer's crap.

I learned something very sad today. Rock is dying. I was talking to this guy in Barnes & Noble named Mark who used to be a DJ and he told me that there are no rock stations what so ever in the formerly very rocking town of Philedelphia. That's just f***ing sad!! And St. Louis is heading in that direction. Curse you Nelly!!!!!! Right now it feels like we have bands who should've followed a great musical movement but after the garage rock movement fell on it's face we got s***. The Strokes' second album blew chunks in the mind of the general public and The Libertines were supposed to be the great new thing but blew it because of drugs like The Stone Roses (who were actually supposed to be the great band that was going to change everything but in their place came Nirvana by accident because Sub Pop was really pushing for Soundgarden to get signed by Geffen).

We need a great new band to come out of nowhere and set everything right. I mean Franz Ferdinand is kinda advanced rock, and a great band at that, but we need a great basic rock band like Nirvana to filter out the assholes and the old dinosaurs of the music industry. It's now all payola and stuff. Four companies own all the radio stations in St. Louis and the artists of today are trained to say nothing. We need a band who'll except awards drunk like Guns n' Roses, tell another band to f*** off like Oasis used to do, cause chaos everywhere like The Sex Pistols, and make great music like every decent band who've struck a chord in a young person's heart. Rock has become so reduntant and watered down it's tragic. I think Bono said it best when U2 was getting inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, "If the music industry was then what it is today, we wouldn't have made it past our second album".

We also need DJs who'll say whatever on the air and play stuff they know is good rather than the stuff their paid to play. We have no DJs anymore. Only on-air personalities. The music industry needs a change. Down with corperate rock!!!!!!!!
To Liz, my one and only - May our love last forever :)

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.." - Jack Kerouac, "On The Road"
Doug
Veteran

Re: The Current State Of Rock

Post by Doug »

There are actually some great young rock bands right now. Here's a few:

Nickelback

Rise Against

Breaking Benjamain

System of a Down (granted, not young)

Godsmack

Disturbed

Velvet Revolver

I think you just have to look a bit harder because there aren't any super-groups right now.
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
wagon_wheel
Loyal

Post by wagon_wheel »

There just isn't any big groups right now...you have to look a little harder...try local bands and underground stuff...I'm sure you will find some stuff that you like...if not you can always listen to the old stuff.

Music seems to go through little trends of what is hott and seen everywhere...give it awhile...maybe a few years...and rock music will be back...it probably won't be what it is today or what it was 10, 20, 30 years ago...but it will be some form of rock....
[center] "Hot glassware looks just like cold glassware."

"Love is grand; divorce is a hundred grand."

^~^

=(o.o)=

(")_(")

[/center]
Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

Lol, rock is not dead..There are just different genres of it. Industrial rock, Gothic, Punk, Pop/rock, grunge. Over here in the UK, rock seems to be pretty poular. Especially when you have pop bands like Busted or McFly trying to be rock lol. There are quite a lot of good bands, including:

Foo Fighters,

Marilyn Manson,

Lost Prophets,

Linkin Park,

Franz Ferdinand,

Halo Friendlies,

Katy Rose.

And thats just a few of the good rock singers/bands. Some of the old bands are being revived, like Queen and Black Sabbath. :) How can rock be dead if some of the old bands are coming back?
Ruth I was forgotten, I won't be forgotten, never again... says:

lol, dont think they have tigers on farmsthough :/

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future
Toast960
Loyal

Post by Toast960 »

I think you all might misunderstand me a bit. All those bands are great but they have track records. BTW, Velvet Revolver is not young by any stretch of the imagination. The singer is from Stone Temple Pilots and three of the members are from Guns n' Roses. I'm talking about a rock band that just uses the basic rock formula of a few guitars, a bass, drums, and good songwriting coupled with catchy guitar hooks supplied by a band who have attitude and don't play it safe. Granted there will never be bands alomne tyhe lines of the greats like The Who, The Sex Pistols, The Beatles, Buddy Holly, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc. but rock seems to be a bit comatose as it was twenty years ago with hair bands dominating the airwaves and pop bands with drum machines. There needs to be a thing of adrenaline pumped into rock to revive it and give it a bit of energy not seen in awhile.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.." - Jack Kerouac, "On The Road"
Jesykah ^_^
Veteran

Post by Jesykah ^_^ »

Originally posted by Toy Soldier@Mar 29 2005, 04:28 PM

Lol, rock is not dead..There are just different genres of it. Industrial rock, Gothic, Punk, Pop/rock, grunge. Over here in the UK, rock seems to be pretty poular. Especially when you have pop bands like Busted or McFly trying to be rock lol. There are quite a lot of good bands, including:

Foo Fighters,

Marilyn Manson,

Lost Prophets,

Linkin Park,

Franz Ferdinand,

Halo Friendlies,

Katy Rose.

And thats just a few of the good rock singers/bands. Some of the old bands are being revived, like Queen and Black Sabbath. :) How can rock be dead if some of the old bands are coming back?

[right][/right]

I don't mean to burst your bubble about Linkin Park, because I actually respect them as artists. And yeah, they're a good "rock" band. But did you hear the news? Their new album is going to be anti-rock. Not all hip-hop, but as Chester(or Mike... I don't remember) said, there will be absolutely no rock in it whatsoever. (My source is MTV, If I'm wrong, I apologize)

I agree though, rock is dead. All there are now is a bunch of wanna-be's. No one is ever going to make such a memorable impression like Nirvana did. Like Metallica did. No one will ever do that. It's dead. Over. Finished.

However, I like the "new" rock. It's what I listen to, and it's the only GOOD type of music out there... so, I can't complain.
<span style="font-family:optima" J E S S I C A [/b]

<span style="color:orange"Jessica's MySpace. Go on, click it.
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Originally posted by Jesykah ^_^@Mar 29 2005, 10:29 PM

I don't mean to burst your bubble about Linkin Park, because I actually respect them as artists. And yeah, they're a good "rock" band. But did you hear the news? Their new album is going to be anti-rock. Not all hip-hop, but as Chester(or Mike... I don't remember) said, there will be absolutely no rock in it whatsoever. (My source is MTV, If I'm wrong, I apologize)

[right][/right]

Oh God help us all. Linkin park, anti-rock? Nooooo! They are not allowed to change their style of music. Hmmph.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

I thought Mike Shinobi was doing a solo albulm and it had no rock in it. Meh, *mutters under breath* stupid STUPID Linkin Park
Ruth I was forgotten, I won't be forgotten, never again... says:

lol, dont think they have tigers on farmsthough :/

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future
Breathe_In_For_Luck7
Veteran

Post by Breathe_In_For_Luck7 »

If Linkin Park changes to no rock i will be super pissed.
Wheretogo
Veteran

Post by Wheretogo »

rock is not dead, you just have to look for it in differnet places. it may not be as big as it once was but it will come back, music goes through trends, and eventually rock will come back. but there will always be rock bands just they wont be as big as they used to be...

Breakin Benjamin RULES!!!!
Why give up, why give in?

It's not enough, it never is.

So I will go on until
the end.

We've become desolate.

It's not enough, it never
is.

But I will go on until the end.

I've lost my way.

I've lost my way, but I will go on until the end.

Living is
hard enough

Without you fucking up.

Until The End - Breaking Benjamin
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Post by Paris In Flames »

I think a hardcore revolution is coming.

Reno's getting a HUGE reputation for being a hardcore town, and bunches of huge bands are starting to come through here.

Rock is getting sold out. We need something heartfelt. I want to an AMAZING Terror concert on Friday...and it struck me. That's where the youth are. They're fucking putting their blood and life into hardcore.

Norma Jean, Remembering Never, even Thursday - they're all getting more and more popular. It may be the start of something.

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

I kind of agree but it is not just rock music. It's the whole music industry.

Not much is being released lately that is really worth my penny.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
Toast960
Loyal

Post by Toast960 »

I recently wrote a follow up to this. Here it is:

I've been thinking a lot lately about the current state of rock and why I hate the majority of the current popular acts. I think I hit on the reason and I may have stumbled on this before and forgot it but hey, I'm writing it down this time. I think I hate the current crop of bands because it's all over blown and there's no substance. There's no really simplicity in the music anymore. It's almost like when hair metal bands were dominating in the 1980s. Whilst there were a few decent bands here and there most of them were shitty one hit wonders or bands you were embarassed to have listened to ten years down the road because you realized the music had no substance. Now I must say I do have respect for all these bands in some aspect because they were able to get something together and keep it together long enough to get a recording contract, which is a task unto itself. But basically, I feel rock music has become redundant. There needs to be a crop of bands that remind everyone what really matters. It's not the million dollar contracts or the styles you may accidentally start. It's just about the music man, lol.

Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by Toast960@Apr 4 2005, 06:31 AM

I recently wrote a follow up to this. Here it is:

I've been thinking a lot lately about the current state of rock and why I hate the majority of the current popular acts. I think I hit on the reason and I may have stumbled on this before and forgot it but hey, I'm writing it down this time. I think I hate the current crop of bands because it's all over blown and there's no substance. There's no really simplicity in the music anymore. It's almost like when hair metal bands were dominating in the 1980s. Whilst there were a few decent bands here and there most of them were shitty one hit wonders or bands you were embarassed to have listened to ten years down the road because you realized the music had no substance. Now I must say I do have respect for all these bands in some aspect because they were able to get something together and keep it together long enough to get a recording contract, which is a task unto itself. But basically, I feel rock music has become redundant. There needs to be a crop of bands that remind everyone what really matters. It's not the million dollar contracts or the styles you may accidentally start. It's just about the music man, lol.

[right][/right]

Same with Rap and several other genres.

Sex, Drugs, Getting Drunk, Murder, "Slappin A Hoe" and repeat.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
Onigami
Loyal

Post by Onigami »

Heres my 2 cents... Rock isn't dieing, its simply evolving, as it always has been, and as it started. Rock came from blues, which came from a mixture of jazz and soul, jazz came from a mixture of european melodies, and african rythms, european melodies came from classical music, which can branch of into flamenco and other European styles, so if you think about it, Rock really isn't dieing, its simply evolvoing...and for the record, Velvet Revolver is a super group, becuase if a band has Slash, it is instantly super...hands down. But if you really want like "raw" rock, than listen to local bands and radio stations. I kno for all y'all in chicago like me, 88.7 fm is a grat local station, and the DJ's rock, cuz they r high all the time, and really don't kno what their doing. ROck is still around, it just involves a little more saerching.
Aimed low, settled for less.
Tree Fingers
Loyal

Post by Tree Fingers »

Tree Fingers
Loyal

Post by Tree Fingers »

Originally posted by AlternativeFairy@Apr 1 2005, 11:41 AM

If Linkin Park changes to no rock i will be super pissed.

[right][/right]

I absolutely despise Linkin Park. I think they feed teenagers with "hate myself" music and it is absolutely uninspiring. However, I love Radiohead, and Linkin Park claims that there next album is inspired by this band (among others of course), so I look forward to checking it out.