Singing

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Carousel
Loyal

Singing

Post by Carousel » Mon May 02, 2005 4:07 pm

Could a singer explain to me diaphragmatic breathing.

I've posted about singing before and I have new questions as time goes on. I use to have a teacher but I haven't been in sometime.

I've been singing for two years and have seen improvements, but I'm wondering how to make my voice deeper.

Thanks.
[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

turtbub
Veteran

Re: Singing

Post by turtbub » Mon May 02, 2005 4:20 pm

Breathing with the diaphram is just to, when you take a breath, make sure it is controlled.

I guess the best way to explain it would be that when you take a breath, breathe so that your stomach fills up with air. If your shoulders rise then you're doing it wrong. It will give you a stronger breath that will carry a richer sound for a longer amount of time.

It'll probably help make your voice deeper too, but I'm not sure.

And I must say it's WONDERFUL that you sing. Not enough guys do. :)

:hug: Hannah
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Mon May 02, 2005 4:25 pm

They explain it a bit better, haha: http://lungdiseases.about.com/od/genera ... eath_2.htm
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

candela
Needs Another Hobby

Post by candela » Mon May 02, 2005 4:34 pm

ummm basically (i didnt read the link she posted so i dunno if this is what it said or not) but from what ive always been taught you have different types of voices depending on how your thinking and how you use your diaphram. like you have a head voice (usually your falseto), and throuat voice (bad tone here though), and a stomache or diaphram voice. the odd thing is though that when you sing you do opposties when you want to sing higher nhotes you think down and apply alot of controled pressure to your voice and when you want to sing low you think higher and use less but very control pressure. its hard to explain but do lots of warmups all the time and slowly your range will increase and you will develope more tone. also when ever you are using notes that are new to or outside you range open your mouth wide and drop your jaw or you will go flat.

like hannah said it is really great that you sing! theres always room for more male singers.

by the way whats your range?

luck and love
</>Luck and Love to all</>

PM me if ya need anything

"It doesn't matter what other people say, or think when you see nothing in the mirror."

Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena » Mon May 02, 2005 6:02 pm

Hmm. Listen to Hannah.

I will explain in the morning when I have a little less alcohol in my system. Hehehe. At least I am only tipsy and can type (for NOW).
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.

Carousel
Loyal

Post by Carousel » Mon May 02, 2005 11:47 pm

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it so much! Unfortunately, I don't know what my range is.

1: How do you usually warm-up? My teacher always had me do a few stretches, practice breathing, and lightly singing my vowels.

2: Should I try to make my voice deeper on purpose? I usually do that to some extent to open up my throat.
[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub » Tue May 03, 2005 3:46 pm

1. Sing the scale a few times on every vowel sound, and go up a step every time. Also just try to go through enunciation sing "double bubble bubble gum" up and down the scale a few times.

2. No, let your voice change on its own.

Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy » Wed May 04, 2005 4:27 am

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]

Carousel
Loyal

Post by Carousel » Thu May 05, 2005 12:45 am

Thanks a lot.

I wish I would have started much earlier. I can see the improvements, but this isn't going to be an overnight thing for me.

Oh, I notice I sing better on higher notes than lower? Is that normal?
[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Dark
Loyal

Post by Dark » Thu May 05, 2005 7:37 am

Indeed. Everyone has their set natural pitch that they can just sing better in. It's just how everyone is born, I believe...Personally, I can sing from baritone to soprano(I sing Tiny Tim songs in soprano :P), but I sound best in tenor.
Beautiful:I thought this was helping teens.. not i wanna be a whore, profit my videos?