Dell Vs. Sony Vaio

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

StressedOut
Loyal

Dell Vs. Sony Vaio

Post by StressedOut »

Ok, fellow techies, I need your help.

I am torn between buying a new dell or a new vaio

They are both the same price, but the sony has more RAM and hard drive space, but the dell comes with a flat screen monitor,a printer(i dont need it), an aditional year of support and microsoft works software. However, my research has uncovered that most people think dells are shitty and I have heard good things about the vaio.

So, what should I buy?
Image Season 7 Begins- January 2009
OverDrive
Veteran

Re: Dell Vs. Sony Vaio

Post by OverDrive »

Both are good. Dell has become a lot better with their products. Both are brand name, so you will always have issues with software pre-loaded on the computer that will be on startup slowing down your computer. They also both have their own customizations to windows that you cannot remove (like the Sony Viao on my client's computer has a start menu icon for Sony Support that you cannot delete at all). Dell has good support (first hand experience calling dell for a laptop hardware issue for one of my clients, first call (and only call) lasted about 45 min and he had me upgrading the bios, doing other tests, and then finally said that yes it was hardware related to the cooling system of the laptop and the warantee was almost up but it was still under warantee).

With all computers, it's not just what brand name you buy, but it's how the users of the computer keep it running, and how they configure it.

Be careful - flat screen monitor does NOT mean LCD flat panel screens, it just means a Flat glass screen on a CRT monitor - (I have the Dell P991 Flat Screen Trinitron CRT monitor and I love it).
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Rebelicious
Loyal

Post by Rebelicious »

i would go for the vio. if you ever had a problem with the dell and had to master reboot it your sound card would be wiped out. I know several people that did this. and dell would not give them help after that.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

What do you mean master reboot? I've done countless restores on Dells and Compaqs and i've never had a problem with their restore CD's.

If you don't use your ORIGINAL recovery CD's, then yes, you have to install all the drivers yourself, but it is possible to get it working without issue.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.