Donnie Darko

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

_ofunsoundmind
Loyal

Donnie Darko

Post by _ofunsoundmind »

Just watched this movie a few nights ago and I have no idea what the heck it was about! I'm especially confused about what happened in the end. All I am not confused about is the backbone of the storyline...that Donnie has schizophrenia and listens to a giant, demonic bunny when he tells him to do bad things.

That's all I know. Help? :'(

x Shelle
Ethan Riley Winters

born the 16th of August, 2002

weighing 7 pounds and 9 ounces

^ Our gift from God ^

I've always known this wasn't Home
-B.D.
withthewolves.
Loyal

Re: Donnie Darko

Post by withthewolves. »

(spoilers ahead)

the universe that everything's that happened in the span of 28 days is called the tangible universe, because it's not meant to happen. donnie was meant to die then, if frank hadn't made him sleepwalk to the golfcourse. frank is the manipulated dead; and he exists twice - as the rabbit, and as his sister's boyfriend (you can find evidence from the handwriting - 'they made me do it' and 'gone out for beer' on the refridgerator at the halloween party)

so, he travels back 28 days earlier, before frank lured him out of the house. in the tangent universe, he (the living receiver) finds out that if he didn't die, his sister and mother will die (from the plane which ironically carries the engine from 28 days later - if fell from the tangent universe to the real universe); gretchen will die, and he doesn't want gretchen to die because he loves her. that's what the "end of the world" is all about.

i'm not sure why he laughs at the end before dying, i'm sure the director wanted many interpretations for it to keep you thinking about it, but i think that he laughed in bed before dying because he was aware and he wasn't afraid to die alone anymore. that he realized that dying alone was inevitable. he laughed because he knew he was going to die any second now, and he was happy with it because he knew the outcome would have been much worse if he got out of bed and avoided being killed by that plane part. that's what i thought anyway...

others will say that he laughed in bed right before the engine falls down - because he thought it was only a dream; that it wasn't real.. technically it wasn't, because it was in the tangent universe that it happened because donnie was meant to die, but he didn't.

if you're still confused about the tangent universe and the living receiver (donnie), you should check out the donnie darko website. might explain it to you a little better. i had to watch the movie twice before i understood the ending.
_ofunsoundmind
Loyal

Post by _ofunsoundmind »

:huh: fucky.

Thanks, doll.

x Shelle
Ethan Riley Winters

^ Our gift from God ^

-B.D.
Breathe_In_For_Luck7
Veteran

Post by Breathe_In_For_Luck7 »

Whoa. No one has ever been able to explain it to me before. Frank the rabbit scares the shit out of me.
_ofunsoundmind
Loyal

Post by _ofunsoundmind »

Ethan Riley Winters

^ Our gift from God ^

-B.D.
Wheretogo
Veteran

Post by Wheretogo »

that was an amazing movie, i didnt get it at first either, and i had to go look it up too. It is a very complex movie. It involves a lot of thought, and it is a very good movie. Good job in explaining it.
Why give up, why give in?

It's not enough, it never is.

So I will go on until
the end.

We've become desolate.

It's not enough, it never
is.

But I will go on until the end.

I've lost my way.

I've lost my way, but I will go on until the end.

Living is
hard enough

Without you fucking up.

Until The End - Breaking Benjamin