Brokeback Mountain

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Brokeback Mountain

Post by Jaegermeister »

For those of you who haven't heard anything about it, Brokeback Mountain stars Heath Ledger, Jake Gylenhaal, Anne Hathaway, & Michele Williams. It's based on an Annie Proulx short story (of the same name), about 2 men (Gylenhaal & Ledger) who work as sheep herders on Brokeback Mountain in the summer of 1963. They develop a relationship, but summer ends and they part ways. The rest of the movie follows the 20+ years after that summer, following mainly Ennis but also Jack as they lead their way through their lives apart from each other, while still struggling to keep a forbidden love alive.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago when it first came to Columbus, and I've been meaning to make a topic about it in the meantime. I had a lot of thoughts about it. While it was fairly slowly paced, I never once felt bored, as is often the case with slowly paced movies. I thought it was very well done and tastefully done, though I would not have been opposed to some more hot Heath on Jake action. But anyways, I thought it was great. Tragic, but great. I think epic is a good word to describe it. I'm wondering what other people think about it, especially straight people. Maybe it's just because I had a relationship similar to the one Ennis and Jack had, but I really identified with the movie. One qualm I would have with it is simply the lead up to Ennis and Jack's relationship. It was not the build-up that I expected. At all. I thought it was a bit too abrupt, and then misconstrued the relationship at the outset as purely sexual, as opposed to emotional. Yes it becomes emotional, and throughout the rest of the film is portrayed as more than just a sexual relationship, but you are still left with the vivid first image of how Jack and Ennis' relationship started, and that sort of overshadows the touching moments that come later.

I think Jake and Heath did a magnificent job of playing their roles. Jake does a good job of pulling of the free spirit and optimism that is such a part of Jack, whereas Heath portrays the pessimism and realism of the situation. And yes, I do like men, but still, I think even if I were a straight man watching this movie, I would still be impressed by the chemistry they have on screen.

Anywho, that's my opinion. Anyone else seen it?

tJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Saren
Veteran

Re: Brokeback Mountain

Post by Saren »

I want to see this film SO bad. I've known about it for months and wished it would come out so I could see it BUT...

It doesn't play anywhere in the state I live. I live in MA. I know, you'd think because they're so approving on marriages, giving us all the same rights, they'd go on with the film to support it, but it doesn't. I don't know the closest place to here. All I know is I wouldn't be able to see it anyway. I would not be able to travel across the states for it, which is very unfortunate for me :(

I do think it looks great, especially with the guys who are playing them. : )

This is the film I'm DYING to see and have been for a long time.
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

Born on: February 26th, 2007

<3

----------------------

"Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief."

FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW »

I want to see it as well.

Mostly curiousity, but it took forever to come out here. It just popped up here this weekend. I can't find anyone to go see it with me, so I may have to wait for it on DVD, but one way or another I really want to see what this movie is like.

Going to the movie tonight, but all of my friends wana go see Hostel, including myself. So it won't be so bad :-p

-Jared
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

RockBSK1432
Loyal

Post by RockBSK1432 »

Would like to see it just because it's controversial etc..
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

I want to see it as well.

Mostly curiousity, but it took forever to come out here. It just popped up here this weekend. I can't find anyone to go see it with me, so I may have to wait for it on DVD, but one way or another I really want to see what this movie is like.

Going to the movie tonight, but all of my friends wana go see Hostel, including myself. So it won't be so bad :-p

-Jared

[/b]
Or you could just go see it by yourself. It's a good time going to see movies by yourself.

But yeah, as far as release goes, it's not released everywhere, only in limited release, but it's spreading.

tJ

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

Yeah, I know. I read all the places it was released and found the closest place to here is just...hours. I live 45 minutes south-west from Boston, so just imagine how far away that would be. I just know it'd probably be more than 8 hours. :-/

I hope it's put out on DVD here, at least. After it's out of theatres I mean.
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

<3

----------------------

"Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief."

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

I've heard the DVD isn't coming out until next year at this time. So you may be waiting a while.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

Doesn't matter. I'd still be interested. I heard about it last year anyway. Actually, it was a year and a half ago because I brought it up on Nick's site and that was way back when I'd moved back down here.
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

<3

----------------------

Breathe_In_For_Luck7
Veteran

Post by Breathe_In_For_Luck7 »

I saw it. It was alright. It seemed rather slow at times. I thought they portrayed a gay relationship a little oddly. I thought it would get more into depth but it didn't. The intimate scenes between them were hot though. Both those men are extremely attractive and I enjoyed seeing it. My friends on the other hand thought it was akward to be watching it at times.
alnieve
Veteran

Post by alnieve »

Oh, I want to see that movie!

It actually got banned from one of the huge movie theaters here in Utah. (They thought it was too "controversial". Imagine that, eh? Silly Utah)

It just makes me want to see it even more.

Amanda
[CENTER]She would change everything[/CENTER]

[CENTER]for happy ever after.[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Caught in the in-between,[/CENTER]

[CENTER]a beautiful disaster."http://asnowy.deviantart.com/gallery/"[/CENTER]
sweethelp
Veteran

Post by sweethelp »

i want to see it very badly, my sisters fiance's sister saw it and LOVED it i heard it was a pretty touching movie. i dont have the time or money to go to the movies though. so im gonna wait until it comes out on DVD probably but i still might be able to go see it in the theaters. im not sure if its showing near me though.

~~Kimmy~~
She's so big hearted

but not so remarkable

just an ordinary humble girl

expecting nothing as we may

to think it's a pretty person's worth

you are beautiful

and you'd better go show it

so go and look again

you gotta be true only if you really wanna go to the top and you really wanna win

don't believe in living normal

just to satisfy demand

Well, if you wanna get free

and if wanna get smart by the sake of your heart

you should own your lame and stand up tall

:)
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

Aww, take me too Kimmy? :(

I wish.
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

<3

----------------------

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

I thought they portrayed a gay relationship a little oddly. I thought it would get more into depth but it didn't.

[/b]
That's kinda the point. They didn't really have a relationship. They had maybe a week or two a year. I would posit that not showing them together that often is symbolic of their distance. Because the most time they ever had together was the summer on Brokeback, and after that they were caught up in their lives. They didn't really have a relationship, yet what they did have affected the rest of their lives.

tJ

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

All this talk of being able to see it makes me jealous. Damn you all. : P
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

<3

----------------------

hopeless_
Loyal

Post by hopeless_ »

I saw it today. I didn't know exactly what to expect. There was a lot of hype around it, being controversial and so on, and being banned in some states, and also being nominated for 8 oscars. But after I saw it, it was a pretty good movie. It was very touching, especially the tragic ending, which really gave me, personally, a strong impact, because of the way Jack died. I also like the fact that it's not one of those blunt movies where facts are thrown into your face, with no thought whatsoever. There is relatively little dialogue, and more of the actors' expressions and actions, which really made it all the better. I think all the actors did a great job ofcourse, obviously the leading actors, but I was really impressed by Michelle Williams' performance: top notch, in my opinion.
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

I saw it today. I didn't know exactly what to expect. There was a lot of hype around it, being controversial and so on, and being banned in some states, and also being nominated for 8 oscars. But after I saw it, it was a pretty good movie. It was very touching, especially the tragic ending, which really gave me, personally, a strong impact, because of the way Jack died. I also like the fact that it's not one of those blunt movies where facts are thrown into your face, with no thought whatsoever. There is relatively little dialogue, and more of the actors' expressions and actions, which really made it all the better. I think all the actors did a great job ofcourse, obviously the leading actors, but I was really impressed by Michelle Williams' performance: top notch, in my opinion.

[/b]

I haven't seen it yet. :( That gives away the whole thing for me.

Oh yeah. I found out it is playing around here... : / But now that I know what happens I won't be able to stop thinking about it. You know, even though I haven't seen it yet.
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

<3

----------------------

hopeless_
Loyal

Post by hopeless_ »

oh I'm so sorry :,( I should have added SPOILERS at the top. I'm really sorry; but I knew the ending before I saw it, and still enjoyed it, if that's any consolation. Again, I'm really sorry.
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

Aww! Don't feel bad. That's happened to me before. I kind of guessed something bad was going to happen.

Again, don't worry about it!! :) I still wanna see it. Gives me inspiration for my stories.
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

<3

----------------------

SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

I really hated it. I don't think it deserved all the awards that it is up for. What was so good about the movie ? I was so bored the entire time. To me it was like watching a old ranch movie. It was very predictable too.. I mean about 5 minutes before the big thing happened.. I don't want to ruin it for anyone going to see it.. I thought to myself alright this movie is going to end soon its bound to happen to one of them because they aren't going to go off and stay together at a cottage or ranch like the one guy wanted. The topic was a good one to bring up for society but I didn't like the movie.
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
Breathe_In_For_Luck7
Veteran

Post by Breathe_In_For_Luck7 »

I really hated it. I don't think it deserved all the awards that it is up for. What was so good about the movie ? I was so bored the entire time. To me it was like watching a old ranch movie. It was very predictable too.. I mean about 5 minutes before the big thing happened.. I don't want to ruin it for anyone going to see it.. I thought to myself alright this movie is going to end soon its bound to happen to one of them because they aren't going to go off and stay together at a cottage or ranch like the one guy wanted. The topic was a good one to bring up for society but I didn't like the movie.

[/b]

Thank you! Someone who finally sees it like I did. I didn't HATE it, but it was boring and I don't htink it deserved those awards.