Desktop Dies

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

PunkRockPimp
Loyal

Desktop Dies

Post by PunkRockPimp »

okay well, my desktop is broken. my borfriend would always leave the tower on and a little while ago he went to tunr it on and nothing. i have checked all the cord ands stuff and everything else is fine. please help i have no clue what is wrong or how to fix it
<span style="font-family:Georgia"punkrockpimp LJ DOT COM___your so jealous
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Re: Desktop Dies

Post by SirPostAlot »

hmm did you try to hold it in?

maybe try unplugging everything and then re-plugging it in (just make sure that you know which cords go where)

it could just be that the desktop is dead, like is it still under warrenty?

normally if i come across something liek this that i have no idea, i call DELL (or whomever runs your computer) or look up in your town computer fixes, explain the problem, etc

there is this local woman whom we call and she will come over and if there isn't anything wrong w/ the computer or something she can't fix (like the computer dieing) she doens't charge us, but if she finds it and stuff she will charge (but its never that expensive ~ i think she charges like 30$/hr, so shes there for 15 minutes and its like 7.50$, you know?)

~Jeff~
PunkRockPimp
Loyal

Post by PunkRockPimp »

hmmm. well i tried the cords and holding it in, i guess i'll call the company except i hate doing that... it never seems to go well. i 'm pretty sure its not covered any more either.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

well how old is it?

the average life of a computer is 5 years (depending on how well you take care of it ~ and by leaving it all all of the time (unless you have it internally powered to "hybrinate" (which is the best thing to do)) isn't the best thing for the computer . . .

but yeah just call, pray you get someone who understands english, and see what they recommend...

keep us informed :)

~Jeff~
VittorioCole
Loyal

Post by VittorioCole »

Or you've got a bad power supply unit.. You can order them online, or some shops like Best Buy have them, i think. Worth a try, depending on how old the computer is.
[CENTER]So you're the fire and I'm the water.

I am the balance and you are the color.

I won't forget you when we're not together.

This is the ending, here's my surrender.[/CENTER]
PunkRockPimp
Loyal

Post by PunkRockPimp »

well its almost 5 years, but my last computer was older than that, prob. not treated to well and lasted longer. by power supply unit do you mean the power saver thing to protect against surges? sorry guys i am a tad computer illiterate.
Draco
Loyal

Post by Draco »

All good, the power supply is the big thing that (should) be the upper most part on the tower. It also has it's own fan so it's not tooo hard to find. If you're not horribly attached to the computer get a newer one and transfer the hard drive to keep yer info.
Your life is only as good as you make it. The hardships of life will bring any of us to our knees. No matter how high-spritied, no matter how optimistic. It'll pull us down, drag us through the dirt. Our lives will feel empty and pathedic, we'll have everlasting sadness. Though we must wait it out, beacuse this is usaully only a temporary thing. You must keep faith in yourself, while keeping faith in others. Protect the ones that hold and love you, for they are the most important people in your lives

PunkRockPimp
Loyal

Post by PunkRockPimp »

All good, the power supply is the big thing that (should) be the upper most part on the tower. It also has it's own fan so it's not tooo hard to find. If you're not horribly attached to the computer get a newer one and transfer the hard drive to keep yer info.

[/b]

err... i knida am, see i have a lab top i just got for school (only). so that was my everything else computer. and we dont hve the funds to buy a new one so. is there any way to recesitate (sp?) it?
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

My computer stays on 24/7/365 and only is rebooted when windows updates happen that require it to restart. If you unplug the power to the computer either by turning off the power bar, or removing the cords, leave them out for 5 minutes, then turn the power back on. There may be a switch at the back of the computer for an on/off for the power supply - make sure that's in the correct position (just toggle it a couple of times). If that doesn't work, it could be 1 of 2 things, either your power supply is gone, which is the most probable, or your motherboard is fried. - best idea is if it doesn't work, take it to a computer shop, not necessarily where you bought it, but any old computer shop can fix it.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.