Work To Live? Live To Work?

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Work To Live? Live To Work?

Post by SirPostAlot »

Curiousity...

I personally live to work, i enjoy working and i plan on either being a personal financial advisor or investment banker (both require long hours) . . .

i did some research and the average hours per week are as follows:

Personal Financial Advisor: 50-80

Investment Banker: 70-120

I am leaning toward Investment banking b/c that is really what i want to do (plus my ideology is "live to work"....

so working (at most) 17 hr days, 7 days a week i can handel...

though that means that i won't have a personal life (which no one in that field does), i can live...i'll just have to get a hubby who works as hard as i do (i really want someone who is a lawyer or in the business world too)

And the second question refers to ones desire in the workforce (in case you were curious), haha...

People who say "Job" are most likily people who work to live; while people who say "Career" are most likily people who live to work; "Occupation" is a toss up (scientifically speaking) ~ it falls 1/2 and 1/2 between peoples ideology

:)

I have always and will always refer to what i am going to do for living as a "career" (of course my server job is a job b/c i do that to live and help pay for schooling)

~Jeff~
CausticTears
Veteran

Re: Work To Live? Live To Work?

Post by CausticTears »

I live to work. As in I'm living to excel my studies and work (career). I, actually, went to my college's career counselor and now I'm more settled with what I want to do. I'm definitely going to get a background in child psychology and from that, I will either be a child psychologist (with a practice) or a special ed. teacher.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges
sinical_sycology
Loyal

Post by sinical_sycology »

Well a little of both of live to work and work to live, I don't want to choose a low-paying profession as it really doesn't help me much finanically and puts me in a tight budget situation (I hate tight budget situations), so I chose a high paying profession, neurosurgeon which too demands 100-120 hours a week. The money attracted me, but at the same time I didn't choose something I wouldn't liek to do, for example I wouldn't choose business or law, I don't like to do it (though lawyers aren't really getting paid as much as they were in past...theres just so many of them and they outnumber clients). Going into the medical field I can enjoy what I do and be proud and love it....all the while I'm getting paid a decent salary....maybe a little more than decent but yeah So I'd say both though I voted for work to live
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

At the moment I work to live. Plain and simple. I work because I simply have to. If I didn't, I'd be bumming off of my parents money in their house, and their food. Working 3 jobs doesn't exactly keep you sane (finally put in a 2 weeks for one of them, though probably soon to be replaced by another), but it keeps a roof over your head, food on the table, car in my possession, and my ass in school. It's not the best way to go, but at least while I'm trying to figure out my career goals, whatever they may be, I've got a job or two (or three) to get me to the career... which in the end may be me earning my M-R-S. and staying home with the kids. However, we'll see where my pursuits take me.
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet
Leapfrog
Veteran

Post by Leapfrog »

and staying home with the kids[/color]

[/b]

Is there something we should know?
sweethelp
Veteran

Post by sweethelp »

Right now I work to live but that's just because I don't really like my job that much. I know though that once when I get older and get a "real" job that I love or a even a part-time job (after I quit mine now) that I like I will change my answer to "Live to work"

~~Kimmy~~
She's so big hearted

but not so remarkable

just an ordinary humble girl

expecting nothing as we may

to think it's a pretty person's worth

you are beautiful

and you'd better go show it

so go and look again

you gotta be true only if you really wanna go to the top and you really wanna win

don't believe in living normal

just to satisfy demand

Well, if you wanna get free

and if wanna get smart by the sake of your heart

you should own your lame and stand up tall

:)
Draco
Loyal

Post by Draco »

Right now I work to learn, amazingly parent's haven't kicked me out yet but I'm paying for all my stuff, car, insurance, tuition and books...Yikes, so right now I've got 2 jobs to support all that on top of being a full time student....did you know sleep is for the weak? Meh
Your life is only as good as you make it. The hardships of life will bring any of us to our knees. No matter how high-spritied, no matter how optimistic. It'll pull us down, drag us through the dirt. Our lives will feel empty and pathedic, we'll have everlasting sadness. Though we must wait it out, beacuse this is usaully only a temporary thing. You must keep faith in yourself, while keeping faith in others. Protect the ones that hold and love you, for they are the most important people in your lives