I joined the YMCA

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

CanadaCraig
Veteran

I joined the YMCA

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Everyone!! :)

I hope you're OK.

That's right!! I joined the YMCA. Now that may not seem 'topic worthy' - but for me it is. You see.... I haven't been in a locker room since I was about 12 years old. [That's 33 years ago - if you're doing the math!!] I have always been SO self-conscious about my body and had convinced myself that I could NEVER be seen naked in front of a bunch of guys. If 'they' saw what I consider to be my totally unacceptable body - 'they' would make fun of me. [Or something - I'm not sure what exactly what 'they' would do] And of course - EVERY GUY who goes into a locker room has a beautiful, flawless body. [Or so I thought] Well... last year - I lost a lot of weight. And last October - a friend of mine told me about a hotel that's nearby that allows 'the locals' to use their gym for $30 a month. I mustered up the courage to go and it turned out great. Trouble was - rarely was anyone in the locker room but me - so it was safe. TOO SAFE!! It wasn't helping me to deal with my fear of people seeing my body. So when another friend - in June - had to stop by the 'Y' to pay her monthly fee - she asked if I'd like a 'tour' of the place. I said 'sure'. And THAT DAY I became a member!! I actually became a 'mens plus' member - which means I have access to an 'exclusive' locker room that has a steam room, sauna and hot tub. It's very nice. The very first time I went into that locker room - as a member - I had to 'act as if'. In other words - 'act as if' that was something I always do and something that I'm comfortable with. It worked!! Sure - I was nervous - especially when all my clothes were off. But I decided not to cover myself up. I walked into the open shower room and there I was - showering with about 5 other guys. And the funny thing is - I didn't FEEL naked!! That may sound strange - but it's true. And no one said anything. No one stared at me. And I didn't get the feeling from any one of those guys [Or from any guy I've seen in that locker room since] that I was 'unacceptable'. I can't even begin to tell you how GREAT that made me feel!! How GREAT that MAKES me feel!! Oh sure - every now and then - a 'super hunk' will walk around naked and I will suddenly feel quite insecure - but for the most part - I'm no better than OR worse than anyone else. It has been a revelation. And now - I look forward to being naked at the 'Y'!! lol Imagine that!! Oh sure - I still have to lose some weight and I guess I'll just have to get used to the fact that it SEEMS as though I have the smallest penis there [lol] but that's OK. [Or at least I'm working on that being OK] And is every guy 'uncut'? lol [Oh well - that's a different topic!!]

So if you are very or even extremely self-conscious of YOUR body - do yourself a favour - and join the 'Y'. [Or some other public gym] I'll take your hand [so to speak] and we can walk in together!! Now keep in mind - I was bullied a LOT when I was in school - especially the first 7 years. And it was my body that people made fun of. It's no wonder I've always believed that I was unacceptable. I'm still struggling with those feelings - don't get me wrong - but I'm on my way to being OK with who I am. [At least physically!!]

Thanks for taking the time to read this!!

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
OverDrive
Veteran

Re: I joined the YMCA

Post by OverDrive »

Good for you. Personally a gym and me don't go hand in hand cause i'll never be there (time reasons, not the naked thing).... Geeks don't normally do gyms.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

i am thinking about joining a gym. i always hated PE in school i really hate being in a locker room, i dont care if people see me, i just hate the whole feeling of them.
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
VittorioCole
Loyal

Post by VittorioCole »

CanadaCraig, as a former lifegaurd at my local YMCA, i can tell you one thing. EVERYONE in a locker room is uncomfortable. Even the staff. I had to shower ever day before work in the showers at the Y, and I never once had a relaxing shower, mostly due to being naked in a room full of strangers. That's daunting, let me tell you. Over time, I grew to realize everyone feels that way, and I learned to just look straight ahead and get it over with. Still wasn't enjoyable, and sorry I don't know what to tell you to make it so for you. Enjoy your gym membership, though, and please don't let that turn you away from exercising there!
[CENTER]So you're the fire and I'm the water.

I am the balance and you are the color.

I won't forget you when we're not together.

This is the ending, here's my surrender.[/CENTER]