'Women and Children FIRST' - An outdated idea?!

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

CanadaCraig
Veteran

'Women and Children FIRST' - An outdated idea?!

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Everyone!! :)

I hope you're OK.

'Women and children first'

On the Titanic - 72% of all adult female passengers SURVIVED while only 19% of all adult male passengers SURVIVED. Interestingly enough - only 50% of all children who were aboard the Titanic survived. Many 'old ladies' survived while many young males died. And for no other reason than their sex.

Was that fair?

Is the 'Women and children first' idea an outdated idea?

Oh sure - I think most of us would agree that children should be everyone's FIRST concern - but should an 80 year old female be saved before a 20 year old male? And I mean in any situation - not just the sinking of the Titanic.

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
FranklinF
Veteran

Re: 'Women and Children FIRST' - An outdated idea?!

Post by FranklinF »

i think your right young people first, old hags have already lived a full life
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Craig, I love your posts. :)

Hmm, I don't think its fair to give women priority. I think I would argue that it should be youngest first, oldest last - regardless of gender. However.... I'm going to get philosophical here.

To use that argument, we're then in danger of saying that older people have no value. To say 'save the oldest person last' is dangerous - for example what if that older person is a genius who has the knowledge that will provide the cure to cancer or the solution to world peace? I'm not sure its safe to argue that person is worth saving over another, as all human life has value and that should be respected.

But thats probably unrealistic when push comes to shove (literally!) so - what would I do? I would say that the 'oldest last' rule would have to apply. Younger people have more 'potential life' or years ahead of them to lose, older people have less years to lose, so to speak.

- My thoughts.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
four
Veteran

Post by four »

I do not know, I mean I am always looking to hold a door for a woman if she is walking in behind me... but that is a little different situation.
NAAM
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

in addition i think they should take like value of life into thought i mean why should a murderer get on the life boat before the person that volunteers at the homeless shelter every weekend. lol my people would die on the ship while trying to figure out who should live :)
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
Spitfire
Veteran

Post by Spitfire »

These are the kind of situations that get me thinking to the point where I give up and leave no opinion. Personally, Id put any decent person before myself, regardless of their sex. But I'll admit I'd be more willing to give up my seat on a titanic lifeboat for a woman than a man.
Blame it on the yellow bananas..they just sit there..all..yellow-like!!

~FRODO THE FLYING PEANUT~

Post 200- Aug 10, 2004

Post 250- Aug 17, 2004

Post 300- Aug 23, 2004

Post 400- Sep 26, 2004

Post 500- Oct 26, 2004

Dont Make Me Eat Your First-Born Child!!
Summer08
Loyal

Post by Summer08 »

I consider age to be a greater factor than gender. I will always hold the door for an elderly person or let them pass if I am in their path. At the same time, I find it absolutely charming when an older gentleman does the same for me. It really depends on the situation and the relationship between the people. In the case of a life-threatening situation, obviously children are of utmost concern, but I would really hope any young man would save anyone they could. Courage is certainly not an outdated virtue. If you are a young woman and you are capable of saving someone, go for it. I know I couldn't drag anyone out of a burning building, personally.
VittorioCole
Loyal

Post by VittorioCole »

There's a fine line between courage and stupidity, and lots of people get the hero mentality and cross it.
[CENTER]So you're the fire and I'm the water.

I am the balance and you are the color.

I won't forget you when we're not together.

This is the ending, here's my surrender.[/CENTER]