DEBATE: Do the Obese Deserve Two seats for the Price of One on an Airplanes?

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

CanadaCraig
Veteran

DEBATE: Do the Obese Deserve Two seats for the Price of One on an Airplanes?

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Everyone!! :)

I hope you're OK.

To start this new DEBATE in the 'Chit Chat' thing going - I ask you...

Do YOU think that the obese deserve two seats for the price of one on an airplane?

The Supreme Court of Canada says .... YES!!

I say.... NO.

Click on http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssAirl ... 6920081120 to read the story.

And the reason I say 'no' is because it will cause unnecessary resentment of the very overweight. A resentment that they do NOT need. Overweight people are already looked down upon by many in society. To single them out - legally - as being 'different' and therefore worthy of special considerations - is a step in the wrong direction. And besides - as a person who has always had a weight problem [Although never to the point of requiring two seats on anything] I would be embarrassed to be given a seat for FREE because of my size. Besides - what are they going to do? Measure bums to see if they meet the requirement?!

What do you say?!

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
Spitfire
Veteran

Re: DEBATE: Do the Obese Deserve Two seats for the Price of One on an Airplanes?

Post by Spitfire »

This is hard for me because I understand both sides of this situation. I think ultimately though, I do agree with Craig. To single out somebody based on their body type is like making a boy pay more for car insurance than a girl (WAIT, THAT ALREADY HAPPENS TOO!?!). But I do understand that an obese person, first of all, may require more room than smaller people. But, perhaps this could be accommodated by turning, for instance, a 3 seat row into a 2 seat row for special needs. I know this would also be in a way singling out passengers, but it'd be doing so less than charging the passenger for two seats!

Im not sure on the exact physics of a plane, but I'd also imagine that a plane with 100 morbidly obese people may cost more to fly across the country than a plane with 100 skinny people. In this case, Im not sure if it is a substantial amount, or a large enough amount to make a price difference based on weight justifiable or not, but if that is the situation it would not be fair to the skinny person to be paying as much to propel a larger mass around the world. However I personally believe that that is something that should be taken into concideration when determining the profit margins that are expected to be made and have ALL ticket prices adjusted accordingly.

I say no, an obese person should pay as much for airfare as a non-obese person!
Blame it on the yellow bananas..they just sit there..all..yellow-like!!

~FRODO THE FLYING PEANUT~

Post 200- Aug 10, 2004

Post 250- Aug 17, 2004

Post 300- Aug 23, 2004

Post 400- Sep 26, 2004

Post 500- Oct 26, 2004

Dont Make Me Eat Your First-Born Child!!