Summer Jobs

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Silver Diablo
Loyal

Summer Jobs

Post by Silver Diablo »

I just recently got a job at our local theme park here in northern Idaho. (Nothing like Disney World or 6 Flags, but fairly well-known, clean, and respected. Lots of guests from around the country.) My job is in the Cash Control Department, so I won't be dealing with the guests often. But, I will be counting large amounts of money.

(The owner of the park is filthy rich. Bought a locomotive in 1980 and decided to build a town for it to go through. Thus, the beginning of Silverwood. Now, it's a very large theme park with a large water park built beside it, connected and part of the park.)

My coworkers are... unique... old... and very... immature. We're in this tiny little room, below one of the most secure buildings in the park, cramped up with each other, and for each of us, there will be another person in there, a clerk who works up in the park that we're counting the till of, and there are NO windows. Shall be... interesting.

But I'm making more than most people in the park, simply because it's a fairly dangerous job and we're required to be 18+ and trustworthy. (Dangerous, because we will frequently be wandering the park with severly huge amounts of money with us. In a phuge safe welded to a dolly. I'd love to see someone try to get out of the park with that... lol) Minimum wage in Idaho is $5.15, and that's what most people in the park will be making. I'll start at $5.40 and by the end of the summer have worked up to $6.00, with a bonus at the end of the summer for $.25 for every hour I worked. (Vault employeess often work double shifts and could be there 16 hours, late into the night after opening that morning.)

My money will be going toward buying my own car, new glasses, and college.

Just thought I'd share with you what I'm doing with most of my summer (besides helping my parents build our new house). What are you guys going to do with your summers?
Kayla
DreamPixie
Veteran

Re: Summer Jobs

Post by DreamPixie »

Two words: Band camp.

Hehe. You know about that I'm sure :P (and, no, people, I'm not talking about "one time at band camp.." i'm talking about 7 or 10 days of 12 hours of sweat a day lol). And I'll work the new freshmen camp we're going to hold to teach the newbies how to march, etc. Hmm, I *was* planning on going to Governor's School and stay in dorms for 6 weeks, but I didn't make it in so who knows. I'm supposed to be looking for a job, most likely will apply at Bi-lo soon, my brother works there and said that many of the employees leave in the summer, and I know he's changing jobs in June. Also, I'm going to volunteer again this summer as a Junior Docent in the local art museum, leading tours of lil' kids around to the exhibits, it's really fun :).

Good luck with your new job. Hope you can handle the immature old people :P. <3
~The best thing about being happy is thinking that you will never be unhappy again.

~Life's too short to be anything but happy.

~I<3Mike.
Gambit006
Loyal

Post by Gambit006 »

well lets put it this way...a pre med student's job during summer, besides college...is working at the hospital. but i enjoy every minute of it.
You know when you're sitting on a chair and you lean back so you're just on two legs then you lean too far and you almost fall over but at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time.

xoxo Catherine

My Diary
nj100688
Veteran

Post by nj100688 »

all i'm probably going to do is sit on my butt and watch tv and sleep till noon :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i would get a job but i'm only 14 and the only jobs i could get r working at mcdonalds or being a bag boy which i would never want to do
its better to have people think you're stupid then open your mouth and prove it

If you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill

people often over look that a one in a million chances is still a chance
Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

I'm working at the local inn.

In the bakery and ice cream section.

It should be fun.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image
Silver Diablo
Loyal

Post by Silver Diablo »

Originally posted by DreamPixie@Apr 25 2003, 09:17 PM

Two words: Band camp.

Hehe. You know about that I'm sure :P (and, no, people, I'm not talking about "one time at band camp.." i'm talking about 7 or 10 days of 12 hours of sweat a day lol). And I'll work the new freshmen camp we're going to hold to teach the newbies how to march, etc.

Actually, we don't have a real "band camp" like that. Our band camp consists of a few days (usually 5 or 6) in which people show up at the high school about eleven until three and practice marching and stuffs... that's the extent of our band camps...

I'll prob drop in during band camp. I'm graduating this year (June 10, in 46 days), so I won't actually be in the band, but I'm sure if I didn't go, they'd miss my cheerful personality.
Kayla
chad
Loyal

Post by chad »

Summer job?? What's that? I should get one and probably will sometime in July..

I'm taking off after school and heading for California to visit my brother, who I haven't seen in 3 years. Then I want to go visit/meet (lol) a couple of my new friends down there.

;)
unoshawty
Veteran

Post by unoshawty »

got one.

scoop's ice cream at 5.50 an hour currently.. lol everyone loves my smell when i get out of there. they try to sniff me then rape me because of the waffle/sugar cone goodness
RIP Pat N. Glassman

<span style=\'color:gray\'My car is SOOO much better than yours =)

TCCA Ya heard?
StarsHope
Loyal

Post by StarsHope »

hehe im happy bout my summer job =) i get to be a dance assisant at my studio!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe i get paid to do what i love! hehe score for me! ne ways yeah thats all i wanna say later taters

Special Kay
[CENTER]Happily Married :wub:

[/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Reach for the moon... if you happen to miss you'll still be amoung the stars"

"That's what bothers me. That my life is so common. I wouldn't wish this - this journey through a shimmery fun house mirrored covered hell - on anyone." - Wasted

[LEFT]

*if you want to know anything about me, PM me.*

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

I'm managing my college pool that I swim at here this summer. That'll fetch me $8.00 an hour. Then at the country club I'll be working a few hours which will also be $8 an hour. I also plan on getting a night job at a restaraunt for a bit more money.

TJ
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
Jess
Veteran

Post by Jess »

Originally posted by DreamPixie@Apr 25 2003, 11:17 PM

I *was* planning on going to Governor's School

is it too late to apply to that? can you tell me more about that?
Image the banana dance will live on!Image
Minx
Loyal

Post by Minx »

me....well sinc ei just turned 14 i can finally get a job..and i will be a pool aid at a pool near by...probably making likr 5.65 an hour plus more if i help teach swim lessons...a pool aides kinda like a life gaurd only u watch the little kids go fdown the slide, play in the kiddie pools and help clean up after everyones gone...lol i only get this job because ive got family connections...all 3 of my brothers and sister have started out as pool aides then a life gaurd and then other jobs for the pool...and my brother jermey now kinda helps run all the swim centers in montgomery county so im kinda garunteed a job :D
Dose it honestly really matter? think about it
Kristina
Veteran

Post by Kristina »

Well i'm a super camp counselor at the YMCA B)
There's always someone cooler than you
Jess
Veteran

Post by Jess »

i need to find a job. i'll probably end up with a couple babysitting gigs...or working at chuck e cheese's.
Image the banana dance will live on!Image
etoiledefootball
Loyal

Post by etoiledefootball »

im a prep cook which means i make salads and cut veggies and fruits for 7 hours its easy shit for 6.50 an hour and im also volunteering at a little kid soccer camp
"All I have

All I am

Nothing you are"

Me
girlyluvR4life
Loyal

Post by girlyluvR4life »

i work at the local grocery store

and im a "gardener" of TWO KINDS! MUHAHAAHHAHAHA

(gosh i bet NO BODY will get that!!!!!!!AHHH!) that was so slick!

gardener! two kinds! hahahaha, i crack myself up!
I'm a gardener of TWO KINDS baby ;)

someone PLEASE knock a hole n my head, i can't wait to kiss this "life" goodbye.
Shytthebed33
Loyal

Post by Shytthebed33 »

Im working at the Local Ice Cream store this summer! Start next saturday! :D kinda scared though.. :blink:
<span style=\'color:gray\'(?`?.??.???`?.??.-* <span style=\'color:red\'C<span style=\'color:orange\'hRiSsY *<-.??.???`?.??.???)