Playoffs

Ahh... The Chit-Chat forum. Please have all chatting here.

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

Kristina
Veteran

Playoffs

Post by Kristina »

An overview of the NBA Playoff's '03

Eastern Confrence Finals

• Nets 4
  • Pistons 0

Eastern Confrence Semi Finals

• Nets 4
  • Celtics 0

• Pistons 4
  • Sixers 2

<span style=\'color:gray\'

Eastern First Round

• Pistons 4
  • Magic 3

• Nets 4
  • Bucks 2

• Celtics 4
  • Pacers 2

• Sixers 4
  • Hornets 2
There's always someone cooler than you
Kristina
Veteran

Re: Playoffs

Post by Kristina »

love how everyones so interestesd in bball :P
LonelyAsYou
Loyal

Post by LonelyAsYou »

hehe. i had to go to my brothers baseball party and the spurs game was on. people were cheering pretty loud.

update me on the scores please :) i missed the game.
And all the roads we have to walk along are winding

And all the lights that lead us there are blinding

There are many things that I would

Like to say to you

I don't know how

Because maybe

You're gonna be the one who saves me?

And after all

You're my wonderwall
[/b]
nj100688
Veteran

Post by nj100688 »

i'm not really into bball but since new jersey is in it GO NETS!!!!!!!!
its better to have people think you're stupid then open your mouth and prove it

If you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill

people often over look that a one in a million chances is still a chance
Kristina
Veteran

Post by Kristina »

booo... im from NJ too... but i love my spurs
LonelyAsYou
Loyal

Post by LonelyAsYou »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! WE WON! WE WON! GOOOOOO SPURS!!! *does happy dance* yes!!!!! :lol: :lol: :woot: :dancing:
And all the roads we have to walk along are winding

And all the lights that lead us there are blinding

There are many things that I would

Like to say to you

I don't know how

Because maybe

You're gonna be the one who saves me?

And after all

You're my wonderwall
[/b]
Britt
Veteran

Post by Britt »

well the lakers are my favorite team....id say they arn't doing to good at this time....lol

Kristina
Veteran

Post by Kristina »

Originally posted by Damnchicksrfine@Jun 16 2003, 04:42 AM

well the lakers are my favorite team....id say they arn't doing to good at this time....lol

I'd say so too
Kristina
Veteran

Post by Kristina »

<span style=\'color:blue\'The San Antonio Spurs won their second title as Duncan put on one of the great performances in NBA Finals history, approaching a quadruple-double in an 88-77 dismantling of the New Jersey Nets.

You want scoring? Duncan had 21 points, including seven in a surge at the end of the first half that prevented the Nets from running away early.

You want rebounding? Duncan had 20, his fourth 20-rebound game of the postseason. In the fourth quarter, he seemed to sweep away every miss by the Nets.

You want passing? Duncan had 10 assists, three more than Nets passmaster Jason Kidd as he completed a triple-double. Amid a swarm of defenders in the final period, he repeatedly found open teammates for baskets that built a 19-0 run.

You want defense? Duncan had eight blocks, tying a Finals record. He also had a lot to do with Kenyon Martin's poor 3-for-3 shooting and New Jersey's scoring drought of more than 5 1/2 minutes in the fourth quarter.

Typical of the humble, modest Duncan, he did not even know he was approaching a quadruple-double, which has been done just four times in history.

"No, I didn't. That's cool," he said.

"I'm sure that he had absolutely no clue what his stats were," said San Antonio's Gregg Popovich, who became the 12th coach to win two NBA titles. "He just knows what's going on in the game and what needs to be done."

For the series, Duncan averaged 24.2 points, 17.0 rebounds, 5.3 assists and a record 5.3 blocks. For the second time in five seasons, he carried the Spurs to the championship and won NBA Finals MVP honors while staking his undisputed claim as the best player in the league.

"I think he proved that tonight," said Nets coach Byron Scott, who lost in the Finals for the second straight year.

For the third time in this postseason, the Spurs won a series in six games but this was the only one that came at the new SBC Center -- "The House That Duncan Built."

"It's an incredible feeling to do it here," Duncan said. "The stress coming into here, you think you want to finish it in four or five games and get it over with. To be here, have an opportunity to win in front of our fans, give our fans kind of a treat, it's great for them, it's great for us."

It also provided a fitting send-off for Spurs center David Robinson. Playing the final game of a Hall of Fame career, Robinson gave the 18,797 crazed fans a wonderful goodbye present, collecting 13 points and 17 rebounds. He helped the Spurs control the boards to the tune of 55-35 and teamed with Duncan to outrebound the Nets by themselves.

"My last game, streamers flying, world champions. How could you write a better script than this, man?" Robinson said. "This is unbelievable. I've had some ups and downs in my career, but I'm gonna end on the highest of highs."

Popovich and Duncan sounded just as happy.

"I'm just thrilled that David ended his career with a game like that," Popovich said. "His effort was really wonderful. He really dug down deep and showed how important it was to him to help us get this victory."

"For a second there on the court," Duncan said, "last couple seconds, I really thought, 'You know what, I'm not gonna play with this guy again. I'm gonna have to come out on this court without him.' It's gonna be weird."

The Nets also may be saying goodbye to a star player. Guard Jason Kidd, who is headed to free agency, scored 21 points and handed out seven assists. He reached the Finals twice in as many years in New Jersey.

"I've got to find a team or stay with the Nets that has a better chance of winning the championship trophy," said Kidd, who had a triple-double in last year's Finals. "That's what I play this game for."

Manu Ginobiliand Manu Ginobili had 11.

"I struggled all series, but my teammates kept confidence in me," Jackson said.

Martin scored just six points. He dueled Duncan to a virtual standstill through the first four games but made just 5-for-31 shots in the last two.

"The shots I missed are shots I take every day and shots I usually make every day," Martin said. "They made them when we didn't. That's the bottom line."

The Spurs never led in the first three quarters and found themselves trailing, 67-57, after Kidd opened the final period with a pair of hoops. The lead was still 72-63 after Kidd ran down a loose ball and found Rodney Rogers for a three-pointer over Duncan with 8:55 to play.

Duncan decided that was enough. Malik Rose made two free throws and flashed inside for a hoop off a feed from Duncan. Jackson drained consecutive three-pointers -- San Antonio's first of the game after 10 misses -- with the second coming off a kick pass from a double-teamed Duncan to give the Spurs the lead for good at 73-72 with 6:33 to go.

"Down the stretch, my shot wasn't exactly there and luckily enough, I was drawing double-teams and those guys were hitting shots," Duncan said. "I'm gonna give them the ball every time they're open. Guys were absolutely open at the top of the key."

The Nets were unraveling, burning timeouts and missing free throws. Robinson put home a follow shot, Claxton sank a jumper and Jackson struck again from behind the arc off another pass from Duncan. Claxton capped the surge by beating the shot clock with a jumper for an 82-72 bulge with 3:44 left.

The Spurs didn't score another basket but didn't need to. In the fourth quarter, the Nets made 6-of-25 shots and scored 14 points, nine by Kidd.

"We lost our composure," Kidd said.

Kerry Kittles scored 11 of his 16 points in the third quarter for the Nets, who shot just 34.5 percent (30-for-87). Their 492 total points marked the second-lowest total for a six-game Finals.

Jump-started by a rejuvenated Richard Jefferson, the Nets never trailed in the first half and led by as many as 10 points. It would have been more had the Spurs not been snapped out of their sleepwalking by Duncan.

After following in his own miss and drawing a foul, Duncan pumped his fist in a rare show of emotion. The three-point play started a stretch in which he scored seven points in the final 5 1/2 minutes of the first half, including a spin move out of the low post that tied it, 38-38, in the final minute.

The Spurs came out passive and Jefferson pounced, soaring and boarding his way to 10 points, including a follow-up dunk that closed the quarter and gave the Nets a 25-17 lead. San Antonio had six baskets and six turnovers.

That sloppiness returned in the third quarter, when the Spurs had seven giveaways to help the Nets get their running game going. Off a terrific pass from Kidd, Jefferson finished a fast break with a lefthanded dunk and was fouled. His free throw gave New Jersey its biggest lead at 55-43 with 8:06 to play.

"I thought that they really created a lot of problems for us," Popovich said. "They played hard every night, as was evidenced by tonight."

Kristina
Veteran

Post by Kristina »

The Admiral and Tim Duncan (Finals MVP)

David Robinson, The Admiral

Awwwww

Parkkerrrr

Hahah aw party guys