Mod'ing 2 Forums

Got any suggestions that you would like to get to the Administration? Post them here!
Emily
Veteran

Mod'ing 2 Forums

Post by Emily »

I really think that if there are more and more people applying for Moderators, then the whole 'mods can mod up to 2 forums' should be banished.

We like variety here and if someone is fit to be one then there needs to be more open spaces. I think the more different mods we have the more we can be a better teenhelp, hearing the same things over and over from the same people isn't helping.
I'm under no illusion

As to what I meant to you

But you made an impression

And sometimes I still feel the bruise

-"Sometimes I still feel the bruise " Trembling Blue Stars Image
emotionalcutie
Veteran

Re: Mod'ing 2 Forums

Post by emotionalcutie »

But not just mods can give people advice, I think its just the mods are around more so they post more often. And I do think that alot of the mods give very good advice, and it helps alot of people. So I dont know where your coming from when you say the were not helping.
*KT*

*Give Into The Sweet Temptation*

<span style="color:royal blue"-::SMIRRRRRNOFFF::-

**chit-chat**
Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

Obviously you didn't understand.

Hearing the same thing over and over from the same mods isn't helping. When you have different ideas from different people it's easier to help make decisions.

That's not the point of the topic though, the point is, is that there are other willing and able people to do the jobs but they can't because someone is modding 2 forums.
I'm under no illusion

ToraToraTora
Veteran

Post by ToraToraTora »

Well, modding two forums may be a good idea. There are some really slow forums, like the current events forum. Sometimes we go like, a day without a single post.
Wheee. I'm Hyper-Emo.

ΔΦ of ΔΚΕ #981 Class of 2004

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Sir Winston Churchill
emotionalcutie
Veteran

Post by emotionalcutie »

Originally posted by Emily@Apr 11 2004, 06:03 PM

Hearing the same thing over and over from the same mods isn't helping. When you have different ideas from different people it's easier to help make decisions.

That's not the point of the topic though, the point is, is that there are other willing and able people to do the jobs but they can't because someone is modding 2 forums.

Actually I did understand what you were saying..
*KT*

*Give Into The Sweet Temptation*

<span style="color:royal blue"-::SMIRRRRRNOFFF::-

**chit-chat**
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

Originally posted by Emily@Apr 11 2004, 06:03 PM

Actually Emily, Very few people have been filling out apps over the past 4 months, and thoses that have, aren't mod ready.

Besides Mods don't need to say squat in their forms. There are over 2000 memebrs registared on the site, don't get mad at the mods for getting the same responce over and over again. Any one of thoses 2000 people can come in and answer your questions. Its just that they mods are on here all the time, and answer your questions out of kindness.

You want more active members, BRING THEM IN! Start giving out advice yourself! Go form to form, and answer every single post you can. Untill then, help solve the promblem instead of bitching about it. Its not the mods job to make sure your post gets different remarks in it. Its their job to make sure that your post doesn't get spammed, fought in, or any one of the other 25 or so rule there are broken.
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

For Christ sake, I wasn't implying that they weren't doing their job. Get over it.. It was meant as: The same questions are asked over and over and the same things are being said by the mods.

The point of this topic is that, if there are people filling out applications (even if it's "Very few people have been filling out apps over the past 4 months") and they are able to do it, they shouldn't be turned down because someone is modding the forum, along with another one that they want.

If I was bitching about it I would have said that the Mods arent' doing their jobs, they are though, or so I can see from now.

Seriously Cindy, there's no need to be so rude about everything.
I'm under no illusion

Crazy Bird
Veteran

Post by Crazy Bird »

Yes but the mods aren't there to "give advice" just because you are a moderator doesn't mean you give any better advice than anyone on this site. It just means you have the power to look after a certain forum - just to check that no one is spamming/fighting or breaking any rules.

Advice has got nothing to do with being a moderator really...

~ Kel xx
~ Tell me all your problems & I'll try my best to kiss them all away ~

Now here you go again, you say you want your freedom

Well who am I to keep you down

It's only right that you should play the way you feel it

But listen carefully to the sound

Of your loneliness

Like a heartbeat drives you mad

In the stillness of remembering what you had

And what you lost

Well It's only me that wants to wrap around your dreams

I love you...
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

I personally think that every mod. having 2 forums is a good idea. Like i have Sexuality (big forum) n General School (small forum)...

Most mods. have 1 big one n 1 small one...but seriously i think that 2 are fine....

~Jeff~
skaterGuy15
Veteran

Post by skaterGuy15 »

The way I see it....the same advice is being given by the same people, whether they are moderator or not. Making more people moderators just means the same advice is given by the same people, only they have a blue thing under their name =|
I wish I were a spy.
Emily
Veteran

Post by Emily »

Alright, fine.

I just think that if there are other people that want to be mods (don't worry, I don't) they should have the chance.
I'm under no illusion

skaterGuy15
Veteran

Post by skaterGuy15 »

Of course.

And Emily, I actually think you'd make a good moderator *shrugs*
I wish I were a spy.
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

The two forums per moderator rule exists so that moderators each have the same work load. This also helps prevent moderators getting stressed out and feeling like they have to be at TeenHelp every second of every day. Since we have implemented this new policy, stress among the staff has dropped dramatically and things are for the better. People are happier. People are less stressed. People are just happier.

If people want to become moderators they can apply. But they must apply like everyone else. The application is there to weed out those who legitimately want to be moderators and we feel will not be a liability since they have gone through the application process and answered all of the questions to the best of their respective abilities. Basically, if for no other reason, the application serves as a medium in which we can review how the applicant responds to each situation and also provides a hard record of who was recruited and when.

I understand that you?re saying we need diversity and I feel we already have a great deal of diversity. I don?t doubt that there are many, many members present and future who have the talent and the desire to become moderators, but they do have to go through the application process. We are not saying you need to be a moderator to help. In no way have we ever said that. What we do say is that moderators help when they can as any member of the support groups does, except they have the added responsibility of ensuring that their respective forums are safe for all to enjoy.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Originally posted by Crazy Bird@Apr 11 2004, 08:45 PM

Yes but the mods aren't there to "give advice" just because you are a moderator doesn't mean you give any better advice than anyone on this site. It just means you have the power to look after a certain forum - just to check that no one is spamming/fighting or breaking any rules.

~ Kel xx
Moderators are there to close topics, keep their forum under control AND GIVE ADVICE. I stress this because after all, why would we have a shitload of questions on that application if you were not applying for an advice section.

The application form, while long, does give a good indication of how you can answer questions and how your thought process works. The ammount of time you take to fill out the application shows, along with how long you've been here, your "relative post count", where your posts are, our overall opinions of you (warns, bans, etc... it shows on each application and that's how people are accepted.

Those who apply without even having a registered name in the forums (or showing up in the chat) pretty much just get deleted as they don't meet the requirements. Those who meet the requirements, during our free time, we read, review and file.

So yea Kel, you "technically" have been reviewed in your methods of helping and we've "approved" of them.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Crazy Bird
Veteran

Post by Crazy Bird »

Originally posted by OverDrive+Apr 12 2004, 02:44 AM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (OverDrive @ Apr 12 2004, 02:44 AM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-Crazy Bird@Apr 11 2004, 08:45 PM

~ Kel xx
Moderators are there to close topics, keep their forum under control AND GIVE ADVICE. I stress this because after all, why would we have a shitload of questions on that application if you were not applying for an advice section.

[/b][/quote]

I never filled out an application form so I wouldn't really know what is on one :P

And of course Moderators give advice, but what I meant was just because we are moderators doesn't mean that everyone should listen to what we say and not members. Members give just as good - maybe better advice than moderators. That is what I meant by that comment ;)

~ Kelxxx
~ Tell me all your problems & I'll try my best to kiss them all away ~

Now here you go again, you say you want your freedom

Well who am I to keep you down

It's only right that you should play the way you feel it

But listen carefully to the sound

Of your loneliness

Like a heartbeat drives you mad

In the stillness of remembering what you had

And what you lost

Well It's only me that wants to wrap around your dreams

I love you...
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Yea some havnt because they've been here when phil added you, probably and so we kept ya. When HelpNet comes out, EVERYONE will have to redo the application and be put into the system.... When I get time to keep working on it.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh »

What is helpnet exactly?

And its not the Mods who are saying the same things over and over- its the repeat of the questions, so even if there were diverse people, I would guess that the advice would be very similar.
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

Originally posted by Shwynsh@Apr 12 2004, 07:11 PM

What is helpnet exactly?

Helpnet was another form of support except a lil different. The supportee (the one who needed help) would email there problems to mods (i believe) and then the mods. would answer it. It was different to the support groups because: 1) only the mods. who emailed it back read it and 2) you didn't have to be a member...

Hope that explained it! :)

~Jeff~
Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh »

ohhh yeah thats what I thought. I liked that before I was a mod .. I used to use that a lot..
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"