Grammar/punctuation

Got any suggestions that you would like to get to the Administration? Post them here!
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Grammar/punctuation

Post by Paris In Flames »

Heya,

Okay, maybe I'm just impatient, but I can't stand it when kids post things with horrible grammar and ZERO punctuation. It's really hard to understand what they're trying to say. Is there a chance that there could be a rule imposed to say, MAKE the writer use ATLEAST periods and capital letters? That's something that we all learn in first grade.

Cheers,

Jenna
xMOSHx xHELLA HARDCOREx xBREAKDOWNx

The tragedy is the ignorance behind the clean casket

On the outside, they look so good

They're walking to Wallstreet in a straightjacket...
SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Re: Grammar/punctuation

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

I know what you are saying. I really don't think that there is going to be able to be a rule about it. Some people can then claim that they don't know how to use punctuation.
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
Toy Soldier
Veteran

Post by Toy Soldier »

Can't there be a spelling check thing then? Plus, sometimes you write fast, and forget grammar and punctuation...
Ruth I was forgotten, I won't be forgotten, never again... says:

lol, dont think they have tigers on farmsthough :/

Angel Breaks says:

i was thinkin that but fuck it macdonald was progressive he knew tigers were the future
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

Grammer and punctuation would be nice lol. There are some people that I can't even help because I don't understand what they are saying. Maybe we could get a program thing that puts a line under the word(s) next to where the punctuation should go. I know my Microsoft Word does that on my brothers computer. Can't we get something like that?
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Originally posted by Sammi17@Jul 24 2004, 02:21 PM

Grammer and punctuation would be nice lol. There are some people that I can't even help because I don't understand what they are saying. Maybe we could get a program thing that puts a line under the word(s) next to where the punctuation should go. I know my Microsoft Word does that on my brothers computer. Can't we get something like that?

Yeah, that'd be nice. Can Skye/Adam do that?

And people saying that they don't know how to use it is bs. We ALL learn how to use it in first grade....those who want help must be willing to write something that actually makes sense...right?

Cheers,

Jenna

Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

Originally posted by Paris In Flames+Jul 24 2004, 04:28 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (Paris In Flames @ Jul 24 2004, 04:28 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-Sammi17@Jul 24 2004, 02:21 PM

Yeah, that'd be nice. Can Skye/Adam do that?

And people saying that they don't know how to use it is bs. We ALL learn how to use it in first grade....those who want help must be willing to write something that actually makes sense...right?

Cheers,

Jenna[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't see why they couldn't. Skye and Adam are pretty understanding. We should ask them. But I still wouldn't see why/how they couldn't place it in here.

And I would agree with you Jenna. I have a learning dissability and I still learned proper grammer and punctuation. Spelling is my problem, so a spell check button would be cool as well.
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
four
Veteran

Post by four »

We have had numerous topics about this (though I cannot find any in the search... I tried for a while). We always came down to the idea that it would just piss people off way too much to do this. People would not be able to easily convey what they are feeling, which is what the site is for, and editing someone's post to correct their grammar or spelling is going to make them feel insulted and inferior. Adding in a program that does this automatically would be difficult, bulky, and slow. You can understand what people are saying, just deal with the poor grammar.
NAAM
Doug
Veteran

Post by Doug »

I'm all for it, I think it's a great idea. Just wanted to voice my support. :)

Doug
"Yeah, I'm a great lesbian. Are you a good lesbian, Doug?" - Jenna
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

Originally posted by four@Jul 24 2004, 04:50 PM

People would not be able to easily convey what they are feeling, which is what the site is for, and editing someone's post to correct their grammar or spelling is going to make them feel insulted and inferior.

Ok...blonde having to use a dictionary... lol

Anyways, back on topic. I understand what you're saying...in a way. But they also ask for help. How can we help them if we can't understand them? And I'm not saying for you guys to edit their posts, but to just have a button thing that helps put punctuation. Also, having that button can also teach people. From them watching the thing placing punctuation where it belongs will help them go "Oh, I didn't know that goes there. Now I know."

I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful :( but, I don't feel as if I - or anyone else - needed to hear this sentence: "You can understand what people are saying, just deal with the poor grammar." You may be able to take everything that everyone says and understand it, but a lot of people do not.

Thank you Doug. :)

Anyways. Sorry Jenna, I tried. I still think it's a good idea though.

girl_about_town
Veteran

Post by girl_about_town »

Originally posted by Paris In Flames@Jul 24 2004, 01:39 PM

ATLEAST

LOL I'd say we do need a spell check. Mwah ha ha ha ha. No offence hun I just found this rather amusing. ;)
Love Katie x x x
Paris In Flames
Veteran

Originally posted by girl_about_town+Jul 24 2004, 03:19 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (girl_about_town @ Jul 24 2004, 03:19 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'<!--QuoteBegin-Paris In Flames@Jul 24 2004, 01:39 PM

ATLEAST

LOL I'd say we do need a spell check. Mwah ha ha ha ha. No offence hun I just found this rather amusing. ;)[/b][/quote]

Lol, woops. :) Well, I generally spell things correctly. :)

It won't make people feel inferior. I'm not suggesting that WE personally change their grammar and whatnot, but I'm saying that if somebody posts something that is illegible, a mod can scrap it and request that they restate their opinion with punctuation.

Cheers,

Jenna

P.S. Thanks for all the support guys!

girl_about_town
Veteran

Post by girl_about_town »

Originally posted by Paris In Flames+Jul 24 2004, 04:59 PM--<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'<tr<tdQUOTE (Paris In Flames @ Jul 24 2004, 04:59 PM)</td</tr<tr<td id='QUOTE'
Originally posted by girl_about_town@Jul 24 2004, 03:19 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Paris In Flames
@Jul 24 2004, 01:39 PM

ATLEAST

LOL I'd say we do need a spell check. Mwah ha ha ha ha. No offence hun I just found this rather amusing. ;)

Lol, woops. :) Well, I generally spell things correctly. :)

It won't make people feel inferior. I'm not suggesting that WE personally change their grammar and whatnot, but I'm saying that if somebody posts something that is illegible, a mod can scrap it and request that they restate their opinion with punctuation.

Cheers,

Jenna

P.S. Thanks for all the support guys![/b][/quote]

yer a agre wi yoo
Love Katie x x x
Pariah
Veteran

Post by Pariah »

Well somtimes i do and dont use correct puntatin. I just dont have the time or patients to. I m so use to typing this way, like incorrect from yahoo and aim, that it just happens.

But this isn't english class. Its helpingteens.
TeenHelp.org

Moderator of: Sex, Pregnancy, Sexuality, Disorders, and Friends/Family.

Mentor for: HelpLink.
four
Veteran

Post by four »

Thank god it is not an english class from that post... No offense intended...
NAAM
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

Get use to it. I'm not one to use all caps and everyone that knows me knows i'm the TYPO QUEEN of the world pretty much. I for one am very embressed (YES i know i spelled that wrong) when people poitn out what i did wrong. English is not my best subject. Infact i had to take my high school english classes over again in college because i lacked it so much.

This is the INTERNET people. You are going to get bad grammer and bad spelling, get use to it. Not everyone is a top student in english. Just deal with it folks. We are sure no tgoing to make a rule sayin gyou have to spell and use correct grammer, since even in this topic, there are errors from everyone of us.

now move along folks, if you can't understand it then move on to the next person, or ask them to reexplane their promblem because you can't understand it.
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
Sam!
Veteran

Post by Sam! »

I suggested this once upon a time. I think. And if I didn't, i meant to. But you really can't... this is a help site and an academic requirement isn't fair. But I wish it was. LOL.
-Sam!
dark_angel07
Loyal

Post by dark_angel07 »

I see your point, but sometimes people need help really bad or something so they're typing really fast and make mistakes. (hey we're all human here.. at least i think) So editing post to correct that stuff would make this site seem like school. Im sure many people know they make grammar and spelling mistakes, but i really dont think they care.

But I do know what you mean about making it hard to understand some posts. Some people dont make any sense at all because of all their bad grammar, spelling, typing stuff like "wot" all the time (no offense to anyone). But i also think it would be really hard to fix this problem.

The spell check button idea is good though, i think. it would be very helpful!
100th Post~~~ Aug. 26th, 2004

150th Post~~~ Aug. 28th, 2005
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

Hmm.. I honestly don't think its that bad, but you have to remember, its the internet. kids LOVE messing up grammer and everything, lol. poor proper jenna. :P
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
emotionalcutie
Veteran

Post by emotionalcutie »

As long as the posts are understandable...then I dont think we need to impose any rules about grammar.
*KT*

*Give Into The Sweet Temptation*

<span style="color:royal blue"-::SMIRRRRRNOFFF::-

**chit-chat**