What The Hell?

Got any suggestions that you would like to get to the Administration? Post them here!
Sam!
Veteran

What The Hell?

Post by Sam! »

What is WRONG with this site? There was like a three hour period this evening where I couldn't get to it. The server just totally wouldn't respond. This is RIDICULOUS. Get a new host already.
-Sam!
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Re: What The Hell?

Post by SirPostAlot »

Calm down, hunny...

I have noticed some downtime here occationally...but i mean w/ any host you have there is gunna be downtime...

Im sure adam knows what he is doing, hunnny! :)

:hug:

~Jeff~
StressedOut
Loyal

Post by StressedOut »

yup

anyone want to take a bet on how many times this week this site will be down?

EDIT: this is just a joke

im not trying to piss of any of the admin or the webhost
Image Season 7 Begins- January 2009
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

I think this should be closed...

Not because of your comment, hun, but because this is not really that big of an important topic. Im sure adam knows what he is doing...

~Jeff~
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

[09:03:20 PM] OverDrive: what happened today, internet seer says we were

down for over 1.5 hours

[09:04:41 PM] * Jonathan is now Away (idle)

[09:09:17 PM] Jonathan: sorry - was away at dinner

[09:09:23 PM] Jonathan: anyhow

[09:09:33 PM] Jonathan: AffordableHOST's billing system strikes again

:(

[09:11:25 PM] * OverDrive is now Away (idle)

[09:13:16 PM] OverDrive: huh?

[09:13:21 PM] OverDrive: explain?

[09:13:28 PM] Jonathan: their billing system didn't record my PayPal

payment

[09:13:31 PM] Jonathan: so they thought I was past due

[09:13:34 PM] Jonathan: and unplugged me

[09:13:40 PM] OverDrive: :(

[09:13:45 PM] Jonathan: but, thats all straightened out.

[09:14:06 PM] Jonathan: there shouldn't be any more interruptions

[09:14:32 PM] Jonathan: (of that kind)
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
StressedOut
Loyal

Post by StressedOut »

ahhh

so its Paypal's fault

i understand
Image Season 7 Begins- January 2009
four
Veteran

Post by four »

No, it was the hosts fault, namely the billing department of the company. And we are getting donated space for a large website, we are not really in a place to complain.
NAAM
mripguru
Loyal

Post by mripguru »

Originally posted by StressedOut@Mar 4 2005, 11:40 PM

ahhh

so its Paypal's fault

i understand

[right][/right]

Actually, not quite - it's the IPN that didn't get passed back to the billing system (they pretty much have all of their billing on autopilot). But, as was posted - it's been corrected.

-- Jonathan
.... and then the post was through.

"Murphy's revenge: The more reliable you make a system, the longer it will take you to figure out what's wrong when it breaks."

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

-- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

--Isaac Asimov

And Remember: RTFM: Not just an acronym, it's a way of life!
The Black Hat
Veteran

Post by The Black Hat »

Well, I hate to say it but I will. Recently, over these past months, Ive noticed HelpingTeens has been offline occasionally, more often that Id really like. So, Find a new, even better host. I know its donated and all. Its just - downtime bothers me. Hell, Geocities sites have way more uptime than this one and its free .<
Respectfully,

Black Hat

OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

Originally posted by The Black Hat@Mar 9 2005, 03:11 AM

Well, I hate to say it but I will. Recently, over these past months, Ive noticed HelpingTeens has been offline occasionally, more often that Id really like. So, Find a new, even better host. I know its donated and all. Its just - downtime bothers me. Hell, Geocities sites have way more uptime than this one and its free .<

[right][/right]

When you donate the money needed for 1 year of hosting, through paypal, I will go and purchase hosting from a reputable hosting company like Rackshack, but you're talking a LOT OF MONEY.... so take what you get when it's donated.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

daffodildreams
Veteran

Post by daffodildreams »

I don't know what sort of bandwidth is being dealt with here, but getting donated (decent) space which has 100% uptime is near impossible. If you don't like it, donate some money so they can buy better hosting.
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by OverDrive+Mar 9 2005, 06:03 AM--
[/right]

[/b]

When you donate the money needed for 1 year of hosting, through paypal, I will go and purchase hosting from a reputable hosting company like Rackshack, but you're talking a LOT OF MONEY.... so take what you get when it's donated.

[right][/right]

[/b][/quote]

To add to that, Geocities is owned by Yahoo and therefore hosted in a private datacenter and even though servers bite the dust in their datacenter every single day, they have numerous redundancies that only corporate funding can provide. So, there is ABSOLUTELY NO comparison.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
The Black Hat
Veteran

Post by The Black Hat »

Hell, if I donate money, I expect it to go to a hosting company I feel comfortable with (ie: DreamHost). How much bandwidth and space do you require? I can't believe I am even considering it :P
Respectfully,

Black Hat

OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

30 GB, 1.5 gigs (all for expansion)
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Originally posted by The Black Hat@Mar 10 2005, 03:32 AM

Hell, if I donate money, I expect it to go to a hosting company I feel comfortable with (ie: DreamHost). How much bandwidth and space do you require? I can't believe I am even considering it :P

[right][/right]

DreamHost is a joke. Their control panel sucks and they have too many restrictions on PHP.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
The Black Hat
Veteran

Post by The Black Hat »

Well, Ive used them before and have had nothing but good expieriences with them.

30GB Bandwidth, 2GB Space, how many MySQL DB's? Can you give me a rundown of your exact requirments?
Respectfully,

Black Hat

OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

3 DBs, shell (jailed is fine), ability to run a cronjob backup script every 12 hours that backs up the entire db, site, files, etc... (this is the main thing that hogs), the backup script must finish in an appropriate amount of time, < 4 min while the groups are able to run as the script dumps the database and such. This usually requires either a dual processor server or a very powerful single CPU system with at LEAST 1 GB of physical ram.

See, you can go find a shared hosting cpanel system for about 14-20 a month, however they are shared, and they are usually piled up slow. This server that we are on is a managed server now, not managed by us, we cannot do any tweeking (or rather Jon can't), and his tweeking was partially responsible for the downtime the site has occured in the recent months. This server now just relys on his check/paypal clearing and he hosts about 80 or so other sites on this machine, so from what we've seen so far, this server will handle this site very well.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner