Feedback Needed

Got any suggestions that you would like to get to the Administration? Post them here!
OverDrive
Veteran

Re: Feedback Needed

Post by OverDrive »

1. What brought you to Helping Teens in the first place?

When I first came to HT, it was for advice and support on some areas in my life.

2. What was appealing about the site that made u want to register?

The atmosphere seemed welcoming and neat, and I wanted a supportive and clean environment... so I registered.

3. What has the site lost since u joined?

This site has lost the obvious: loss of many active members. This site used to have a lot of activity. Since the site change, the site has pretty much lost the majority of that. It's not doing so bad, I have seen new members... just not so many.

4. What can we change?

This site needs some more advertising (if it has had any). I once brang up the suggestion and prints of HT cards that could be given out to people. There was a letter that would be printed, also, in assistance to the cards. Something like that could be a good idea?

[/b]
I havn't forgotten about that - the pdf is in my inbox to put up... I'll get it up after my exam... probably sometime this week.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

Well, I was searching for websites that had to do with this condition that I have and I came across a forum in this website that was discussing my condition.

2. What was appealing about the site that made you want to register?

Well, I joined mainly becuase I wanted to be able to talk on this forum that I saw here.

3. What has the site lost since you joined?

I haven't been on this site long and I don't come on often so I don't know that much about everything.

4. What can we change?

I'm not really sure.
leftwardhome

Post by leftwardhome »

Hi

I just received this questionaire, and yes I will reply best I can to the questions below.

First a bit about me. I am not a teen!!! That is scarry.....where have the years gone. If I would have had a web forum like this to go to I would have had a glimmer of hope in a very dark time.

I have three wonderful boys, one 13, the other almost 11, and the squirt, now 7 years old. My oldest needs advice and wisdom once in a while and I find I am learning as much as I am offering in the advice bit. So as much advice as I ever give, I am usually watching and learning about youth in the generation x.

I don't know what generation I came, all I know is that I remember the original Scooby Doo, Giligans Island, and the Brady Bunch.

So here goes my answers to the best of my ability.

A: My wife and I have been talking with a teen extensively for the last 3 years, one we met on the internet in a chat site. She lived in the southern States, us in Canada, and she was very suicidal. I was reluctant, but she kind of adopted us as online parents. We talked her thru many crisis moments, and we shared confidence and trust with her in many situations. She is now in College, has survived hell, and see's a glimer of light. So in short, she brought us into this site to read some of her personal diary entries, and also meet a few of her friends on this site.

A: I think that this is more than an average complain and bitch site. People care, they want to help and the tools are available if the teen is serious to really want change.

A: I don't know, people change, I know we are more involved now with our church, trying to get my oldest son interested in youth group. For anyone out there that feels lonely, a great place to meet friends, even the opposite sex is at a church youth group. The leaders can even answer some of those scarry questions face to face once a trust is established. Our online daughter has grown and we don't chat that often, not that we are growing apart, just that we don't want to hold her back as she is now growing in a healthy environment.

4. What can we change?

A: Establish trustworthy mentors, confident and consistent, who take committment seriously. Otherwise you are doing a great job. I hope that this helps.

Dan
Leapfrog
Veteran

Post by Leapfrog »

4. What can we change? hmm... something that made me slowly leave the site, and i know many w'd hate my respond, is that mods here tend to think they are god, and delete thier own messages when they regrat on posting them, but when i regrated once about posing something, the subjects was still open..[/b]

4.) I think if someone is going to be a mod, they need to have stricter rules.[/b]

4. What can we change?

Like someone said about, moderators think they are "Gods" of the website. We need some new staff member. Redoing the staff can do a little redoing Looking at the aspect of getting memebers active and doing different things on the website.[/b]

The fact that 3 people have mentioned staff concerns me. Yes it's only 3, but 3 is to many.
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

4. What can we change? hmm... something that made me slowly leave the site, and i know many w'd hate my respond, is that mods here tend to think they are god, and delete thier own messages when they regrat on posting them, but when i regrated once about posing something, the subjects was still open..[/b]

4.) I think if someone is going to be a mod, they need to have stricter rules.[/b]

4. What can we change?

Like someone said about, moderators think they are "Gods" of the website. We need some new staff member. Redoing the staff can do a little redoing Looking at the aspect of getting memebers active and doing different things on the website.[/b]

The fact that 3 people have mentioned staff concerns me. Yes it's only 3, but 3 is to many.

[/b]

4. What can we change?

A: Establish trustworthy mentors, confident and consistent, who take committment seriously. Otherwise you are doing a great job. I hope that this helps.[/b]

Four people. And I agree. It is too much. The things mentioned above have been obvious to (I think) most users, and something needs to be done about it before all faith is lost.

Question for everyone: What would you like to get from the staff here? (Other than the changes/improvements already mentioned).
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

I found teenhelp.org in a search, at this time it was owned by Branden.

It (at the time) provided a valid resource of information and help to tap into.

Every shred of respectabilty, integrity, etc. it ever had. Adam is and probably always will be notorious for using people to do his dirty work, and there are times (he probably won't admit to) that he has awknowledged "politics" on this site.

The site has lost the ability to help and gained being a police state.

It lost respect for it's "constitution," people don't visit a place where they get warnings from other people their age who don't quite know how to work around their heavy flow.

It's lost every person I've ever had real respect for.

4. What can we change?

Don't beat the dead horse.
--nj

Leapfrog
Veteran

Post by Leapfrog »

I found teenhelp.org in a search, at this time it was owned by Branden.

It (at the time) provided a valid resource of information and help to tap into.

Every shred of respectabilty, integrity, etc. it ever had. Adam is and probably always will be notorious for using people to do his dirty work, and there are times (he probably won't admit to) that he has awknowledged "politics" on this site.

The site has lost the ability to help and gained being a police state.

It lost respect for it's "constitution," people don't visit a place where they get warnings from other people their age who don't quite know how to work around their heavy flow.

It's lost every person I've ever had real respect for.

4. What can we change?

Don't beat the dead horse.

[/b]

Well its a shame you feel that way, we are all entitled to our opionions.
Nj
Veteran

Post by Nj »

[/b]

We"ll see exactly how long I am entitled to my opinion.

If you'll read the "SG Rules" there is a provision for warning or banning anybody for any reason whatsoever, its sorta like eminient domain, just excerized way more frequently.

Adam will let me disagree for only a limited amount of time, then bam! the warnings start cropping up, and I'm banned.

See: it's been well into 5 (maybe even 6?) years now... :)
--nj

Jeremy
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by Jeremy »

4. What can we change?

1. Looking for another Teen Site.

2. The different types of programs along with the community.

3. Not sure haven't been here long enough

4. Maybe more active in Chat.
guffybug

Post by guffybug »

Hey everyone,

As the new Admin here I have been giving the task of trying to get the site moving again. Now there are a few things.

We are considering some forum changes, as well as staff changes. 2 Admins who were inactive have already been let go.

HT however is a site for the members, so it makes full sense that I get feedback from all of you.

So this is the first step.

Let me ask a few questions.

1. What brought you to Helping Teens in the first place? I was feeling suicidle

2. What was appealing about the site that made u want to register? they help teens

3. What has the site lost since u joined? nothing

4. What can we change? everything is cool

If you could please help me out by answering those 4 questions. Please be honest with your answers.

Your answers will be used to help make decsions regarding the site.

Thanks,

Alicia

[/b]
RockBSK1432
Loyal

Post by RockBSK1432 »

I was in need of help. I felt like I needed a place to vent as I was heading in the wrong direction, in a downward spiral.

Seemed very organized.

Less personalized responses.

4. What can we change?

Maybe set an age limit. Like must be over the age of 14 to join.
Leapfrog
Veteran

Post by Leapfrog »

[/b]

We"ll see exactly how long I am entitled to my opinion.

If you'll read the "SG Rules" there is a provision for warning or banning anybody for any reason whatsoever, its sorta like eminient domain, just excerized way more frequently.

Adam will let me disagree for only a limited amount of time, then bam! the warnings start cropping up, and I'm banned.

See: it's been well into 5 (maybe even 6?) years now... :)

[/b][/quote]

Well I hope you dont get banned.
Yummypunkpie
Loyal

Post by Yummypunkpie »

I was 11 (17 now) and was depressed about some stupid little online boyfriend, I came here because people listened to what you said because it was important to you, no matter how stupid it was in real life.

JUst that there was tons of people to listen to you.

My personal feeling this that the site completely crashed when it changed from teehelp.orh to helpingteens.org.. I mean you still get help, but it losts its glow and I just stopped coming.

4. What can we change?

I dont know :(
Rain falls on everyone,

The same old rain,

and I'm just trying to,

Walk with you,

Between the rain drops.

-Smashing Pumpkins
Leapfrog
Veteran

Post by Leapfrog »

To show that we are listening to you, we have create an announcement, Global Wide, that we will post all changes that we have imnplemented from this thread.

HT Change Log
Jake
Loyal

Post by Jake »

I wanted help with coming out to my family and friends when the site was still TeenHelp.org

1) The people who were there for me when I needed help.

2) The easy to use and colorful interface.

3) The people who needed help that I wanted to support.

People. A LOT of people. There have been over 8 admins that have left. Many of them left over power struggles. Hundreds of good moderators have left over the past few years also; mainly between these changes in administration.

The site has also lost Helplink. You can call it whatever you want, but a help system that is anonymous and safe is an important part of any site that wants to help teens. This is an important part of the site, and it needs to some back.

Additionally, with the change of themes the site lost character. More on that bellow.

4. What can we change?

1) Bring people back to the site.

A website is an empty shell without a community. Yes, helpingteens has a far way to go before that happens, but it can happen with enough drive.

All forms of advertisements and publications should be sought out. Word of mouth is great, and flyers are even better. What is best though is asking media outlets to cover the website and it's goals.

So many things can be done in this arena that arn't being done. Give users a way to get referal points for every new member that signs up through them; not nescisarilly for prizes, but for the challenge of getting new people to come on and help out....there are so many other things that can be done with a little imagination, and many many things that are great with a LOT of imagination. The good part is you want to help, so you have that drive.

2) A new theme.

The colors on this site are not refreshing at all. Having just blues and greys doesn't really make it that inviting to people who arn't used to it. At least with the original colors (Orange and Blue) there was a contrast.

Additionally, the logo is lame. While the original logo for the site had character and class, the new logo is straight from a photoshop paintbrush and has no originality. I think it's a good time to retire the arrow logo in favor of a new one (bringing helpingteens into a new time and helping to move on from a past that betrayed us). If you want to know what the old logo was, you can view it on this page; it's the logo on the bottem. I know you can probably not use it, but It's important for and organization to remember their past and keep their future in mind.

3) Helplink or some other form of it NEEDS to come back.

I have already explained why this is important. Too many teens need that anonymity before they will speak, and the one on one contact between mentors and teens is vital in those cases.

4) Don't take yourselfs so seriously

Teens get enough of the serious-parent additude everywhere else. It's important that this leaves the site in design and additude. While it's important to take problems seriously and be effective mentors and admins, you have to be on the same level with everyone else or people will never trust you, and people will never come back to the site.

The front page reminds me more of a buisness-suited grandfather than a well-meaning friend. Again, that has to do with the two-toned website, but it is none the less unsettling for anyone new to the site.

5) Update your "News" more, and add new stuff to the site.

There are so many things that are still possible to do in making the site better. Some can be seen on Teenhelp.org, but it's important not to go as far as to detract from the site's purpose.

I'd really love to see this site suceed. It's a shame that I don't have time to be an administrator on here anymore, but I am always more than willing to give feedback personally. If you ever want to talk, I'm usually onlineat the contact info bellow.

Sincerly,

Jacob Wilson

E-mail: noneloud AT gmail DOTcom

AIM: noneloud

MSN: noneloud@msn.com

YM!: noneloud

Jabber: noneloud@jabber.org

Gtalk: noneloud
rEaLwOrLdMiAkA

Post by rEaLwOrLdMiAkA »

Answer: i was having problems that i was having a difficult time dealing with

Answer: it seemed like other people had the same kinda problems and were going through the same things i was

Answer: Honestly i really dont know. Ive straightened my life out dramatically and ive become a much better, healthier, happier person. i havent been on the site for a couple of months already cuz my life is in order... but after reading this letter i think that i should start coming here more often to give people advice and help them. just because i got my life in order, doesnt mean i should forget about all those other people that need someone to talk to.

4. What can we change?

Answer:Id have to get back 2 u on that. i just know that when i was on here i didnt get so many responses, and when people get responses it makes them feel like they have a chance to be helped. if people dont get responses they just wont write agian, and then they lose interest, and eventually stop coming to the site. so maybe a group of people on here should each divide the topics up among themselves and every day or so those people should remember to come check the topics they dedicated themselves to, and respond to anything new. just a thought... dont know if it will work but its worth a try. ill help in any way i can.

~Sheryll~

SN: realworldmiaka (feel free to IM me if u want to discuss more about how we can help the site and the people on it)
SoccerGirl
Loyal

Post by SoccerGirl »

4. What can we change?

1. I needed soemplace where i coudl talk and vent my feelings

2. People understood cause they had the same problems

3. Nothing

4. MAyeb some of the strick rules about what u write?
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

When I first came to HT, it was for advice and support on some areas in my life.

The atmosphere seemed welcoming and neat, and I wanted a supportive and clean environment... so I registered.

This site has lost the obvious: loss of many active members. This site used to have a lot of activity. Since the site change, the site has pretty much lost the majority of that. It's not doing so bad, I have seen new members... just not so many.

4. What can we change?

This site needs some more advertising (if it has had any). I once brang up the suggestion and prints of HT cards that could be given out to people. There was a letter that would be printed, also, in assistance to the cards. Something like that could be a good idea?

[/b]
I havn't forgotten about that - the pdf is in my inbox to put up... I'll get it up after my exam... probably sometime this week.

[/b][/quote]

DONE

http://www.helpingteens.org/posters.html

Found some time after studying today to get that done.

I never got the letter from you - if it was even created...
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Rob
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Rob »

It's lost every person I've ever had real respect for.[/b]
I'm back woman! <3
Spitfire
Veteran

Post by Spitfire »

1) I needed help from somebody who wouldnt be influenced by what they could already know about me. Wanted somebody I could trust and who would have an unbiased opinion.

2) The immense amount of people willing to volunteer there time to help somebody else.

3) Participation and response. When I came here I could get help nearly immediatly. Now it seems like it takes days before anybody even bothers to read your problems.

4) We need active participation. I dont know what else to say. We need to find ways to advertise HT and bring in more traffic.
Blame it on the yellow bananas..they just sit there..all..yellow-like!!

~FRODO THE FLYING PEANUT~

Post 200- Aug 10, 2004

Post 250- Aug 17, 2004

Post 300- Aug 23, 2004

Post 400- Sep 26, 2004

Post 500- Oct 26, 2004

Dont Make Me Eat Your First-Born Child!!