Gender Options

Got any suggestions that you would like to get to the Administration? Post them here!
balloonstring
Dedicated

Re: Gender Options

Post by balloonstring »

wow, in the one place I thought I would be able to feel like i could completely be myself....

and just so you know... there are MANY others like me...

http://www.transgenderwarrior.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer

http://ftmichael.tashari.org/genderqueer.html
Barbies are Evil
Veteran

Post by Barbies are Evil »

we are not talking about being transgender, we are talking about changing something as little as a profile option for being a certain way.......its just not real nessecary in most peoples eyes....no one is trying to offend you, please try not to take this so personally.
TJ[10:13 PM]: no not really..... it's all so.... like wow..... screw steps, you took a fuckin jet pack and strapped it on yourself and rocketed your way forward (thats my big bro)

And I'm going to extremes

Tomorrow I will change

And today won't mean a thing

I'm a bitch, I'm a tease

I'm a goddess on my knees

When you hurt, when you suffer

I'm your angel undercover

I've been numb, I'm revived

Can't say I'm not alive

You know I wouldn't want it any other way

Meredith Brooks-Bitch
Rob
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Rob »

wow, in the one place I thought I would be able to feel like i could completely be myself....

and just so you know... there are MANY others like me...

http://www.transgenderwarrior.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer

http://ftmichael.tashari.org/genderqueer.html

[/b]
So, at what point did you ever get this odd idea that we consider your kind non-existant? Next we'll have to add an option for people who identify themselves as a-sexual and who knows what else. Why? Seriously, how difficult is it to state your biological sex? Does it prohibit you from using these forums in the manner you would like to? Does it make your posting experiences less pleasant? Seriously, eat a cookie or something dude/dudette/thing.
maya
Loyal

Post by maya »

Gender and sex are different things. Sex you can tell from which genitals you got. Gender is more of an identity construction, and I can see why it would be distressing to have to call yourself something that you don't feel is who you are. What about adding a category like "Other"? That would cover anybody who didn't consider themselves male or female
sdrawkcaBgnioG
Loyal

Post by sdrawkcaBgnioG »

Well, your gender is fairly simple to determine. 1) Stand in front of a mirror. 2) Look down. If you have a penis, you'd be a male, and if you had a vagina, you'd be a female. That's all gender is. What do you physically have? If you've got the twig and giggleberries you're still a male, even if you feel like you're a female.

[/b]

^^^Acctually, I learned in GSA that "gender" reffers to what sex people can best EXPRESS themselves as.

The word "sex" reffers to what sexual organs one has.

Transgender is when your sex and gender do not match.
balloonstring
Dedicated

Post by balloonstring »

Gender and sex are different things. Sex you can tell from which genitals you got. Gender is more of an identity construction, and I can see why it would be distressing to have to call yourself something that you don't feel is who you are. What about adding a category like "Other"? That would cover anybody who didn't consider themselves male or female

[/b]

Other would be fine, transgender would feel better to me, but anything that would allow me not to have to be put in either of the two boxes...
Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

Look. We all understand you obviously have a problem with it.

I have a lot of problems with this site, but they AREN'T going to change it just for one person every time someone wants it to change. Sorry.
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

Alright, instead of arguing.

Topic poster, read my post at top of page 2.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Cameron!! :)

I hope you're OK.

If one takes the word 'transsexual' and tries to define the term - one could argue [successfully - I think] that the prefix 'trans' means 'to go from one side to the other'. A very simple example of this could be the Trans-Canada Highway. IT allows a person to get from one side of Canada to the other. The prefix 'trans' refers to a 'move' of some sort. [i.e. 'transport'] It is - therefore - quite likely that those who refer to themselves as 'transsexuals' are actually misusing the term. [IF they are under the impression that to BE a 'transsexual' - is to BE some 'place'] A 'transsexual' [by definition] is not 'somewhere' but on the way TO 'somewhere'. [i.e. going from being a male to being a female]

That said...

I think that for most people [including those who think of themselves as 'transsexuals'] the struggle to find their 'place' in the world is an on going battle. And beyond that battle is the desire to have their 'place' recognized. Many of us play it safe and live up to the expectations of others. But for those of us who refuse to do that [for whatever reason - justified or not] it's not an easy life. Whether we are willing to admit it or not - most of us [if not all of us] are still haunted by the ghosts of the past. If a person were to say to me [a male] that I should be home, baking cookies, I'd just laugh it off. [Because that has never been the expectation of me - as a male] But if someone were to say that to a female [even after all these years of knowing better] it would probably 'sting' a little - and she would have to resist buying into that 'ghost'. [That old 'sociatal rule' - in other words - regarding gender roles] What we KNOW intellectually isn't always what we ACCEPT emotionally. We all have to keep an eye [so to speak] on our emotions.

Am I trying to suggest that you are NOT a 'transsexual' OR that there is no such thing?

Well... yes. And I'm NOT saying that to be mean or to make you feel bad. In fact - the last thing I would ever want to do would be to make you [or anyone else] feel bad about themselves. That's not why I post any message. I just happen to believe that those who have embraced the concept of BEING a 'transsexual' have done so NOT because that's who they really are - but because they have REJECTED the expectations they feel society has placed upon them because of their gender. [as a male or female] You know something Cameron? It's actually GOOD that you're a BOY. And YOU have the RIGHT to define - FOR YOURSELF - what BEING A BOY means. Just so you know - it took me 30 years to acknowledge the fact that it's good that I'M a BOY. For the first 30 years - I believed that being a BOY was a BAD THING. I had an emotionally abusive dad and brother. And horrible, self-centered male relatives. And almost all those who bullied me were male. And all I ever saw on the news was one horrible thing MAN did to woman, children and other men. I also grew up in an era when the feminist movement was very strong. So all I heard from women [or at least all I took note of] was that I was 'wrong'. That is was just a matter of time before I - too - would become one of those 'horrible men'. So I never even referred to myself AS a 'man' for the first 30 years. I felt ashamed of being a GUY. I always feared that one day - I'd wake up and become the 'monster' that I was TOLD I would one day become. [because I was born a male] I bought into all the LIES about what it means to be a man. And accepted the path forged by the males in my life as if I had no choice but to follow. And it wasn't until I accepted that I had a RIGHT to define for MYSELF what 'being a man' meant - that I was able to finally put aside [for the most part] all of those 'bad me' thoughts and feelings. I can be - IF I CHOOSE TO BE - as sensitive and as caring and as loving and as nurturing as I want to BE - and [no matter what] I won't become LESS of a man no matter what I do. I'm saying all of this because I don't want you to embrace something merely because it denies the reality of who you are. And then spend the rest of your life desperately trying to get the rest of the world to accept your decision. There are only two genders. Male or female. How we choose to DEFINE our gender - is totally up to us. You and I can BE any sort of MAN that WE choose to BE. We do NOT have to live up to the expectations of ANYONE.

Please keep in mind that I am merely telling you what I think and feel. This message - this ENTIRE message - is nothing more than 'JUST MY OPINION'.

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

PS

IF you - Cameron - are [as I now understand you to be] a FEMALE [one born with a vagina] everything I said above still holds true. A person can define for themselves what BEING a FEMALE means to THEM.

Sadly - where both males and females truly are equals is when it comes to just how screwed up society IS when it comes to all of its little 'rules' insofar as how one [based upon their genitals] 'must' think, feel and behave. No wonder so many of us feel betrayed by the world. [because we have been]

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
hategirl
Loyal

Post by hategirl »

why dont we just change "not telling" to "other"? seriosuly, if you think about it, it works for everyone.the people that are opposed ot this topic are so because they think it doesnt matter, so it shouldnt bother them, and the ones who do care would get what they want. and for those who actualy dont want to tell their sex/gender then they can just put other. :shrug:
I think people hold on to memories because they are the only things that remain the same when everyone

and everything else is changing.

"Any man can love a woman, but when a woman can truly love a man through all his faults then you want to keep her forever."

MY LJ

MY MYSPACE
PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

why dont we just change "not telling" to "other"? seriosuly, if you think about it, it works for everyone.the people that are opposed ot this topic are so because they think it doesnt matter, so it shouldnt bother them, and the ones who do care would get what they want. and for those who actualy dont want to tell their sex/gender then they can just put other. :shrug:

[/b]
My only problem with that is stating "other" implies something more than just male or female. It seems more suggestive. Whereas stating that you're "not telling" could be an anonymity issue or that there's more behind your gender.
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet
hategirl
Loyal

Post by hategirl »

i just see "other" as " different than the other choices" but i guess that could just be me.

:shrug:
I think people hold on to memories because they are the only things that remain the same when everyone

"Any man can love a woman, but when a woman can truly love a man through all his faults then you want to keep her forever."

MY LJ

MY MYSPACE
Rob
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Rob »

Just replace other with "?". Kthx you moaning whiny lamers.
hategirl
Loyal

Post by hategirl »

ah rob. cynical as usual. <3 :P

MY LJ

MY MYSPACE
SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

I don't see why we can't just have Male and Female.. and an option for someone to write in whatever they want... you can write leprechaun for all I care.. or undecided.. not telling.. anything you want.. trying to figure it out.........
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
Saren
Veteran

Post by Saren »

I don't see why we can't just have Male and Female.. and an option for someone to write in whatever they want... you can write leprechaun for all I care.. or undecided.. not telling.. anything you want.. trying to figure it out.........

[/b]

I agree.

<3
<3

My beautiful baby girl

Autumn E. R-K.

Born on: February 26th, 2007

<3

----------------------

"Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief."

Beautiful
Veteran

Post by Beautiful »

Can this topic be closed now?
Little Miss F*cker,

Don't Move An Inch

I looked at myself

So many things I hate in me

So many things are so hard to believe

I can hear the whole world calling me

Used to be all that i wanted

You to see all that i you to be

does anyone care

Add me.

myspace

*Jamie*

Travis Michael <3.

Born Feb 9th, 2007

He has owns heart. :)
Leapfrog
Veteran

Post by Leapfrog »

[/b]

I agree.

<3

[/b][/quote]

Cant be set up that way. We have to set the responses to that question.