Military

Have a major crush on that special girl but she doesn't like you in the least? Are you in love with a guy who doesn't even notice you? Whatever it might be, ask here. We'll give you some advice.

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

RockNpUnKchic123
Loyal

Military

Post by RockNpUnKchic123 »

Okso my boyfriend and i have been together for almost 3 years and we've basically planned out our whole life together, and we talked about everythign and agreed that he wouldn't join the military. And now after he's started his first year of college his parents have told him they won't pay for it anymore after this year and he's in a 5 year program for his masters. He wants to join the Navy ROTC program because thy will pay for his college but he has to do either 4 years active duty and 4 years of reserve or 6 years active duty. And i really want to support him in everythign he does but im so scared that he's going to join the military and something will happen like 911 and he'll have to go away and he could die. I dont want that to happen. Help? Does anyone have information on the program?
Oh, you are the roots that sleep beneath my feet

And hold the earth in place

Each time a faucet opens

Words are spoken

The water runs away

And I hear your name

No, nothing has changed

There was this book I read and loved

The story of a ship

Who sailed around the world and found

That nothing else exists

Beyond his own two sails and wooden shell

And what is held within

All else is sure to pass

We clutch and grasp

And debate what's truly permanent

But when the wind starts to shift

Well, there's no argument
SexyLittleDoll
Veteran

Re: Military

Post by SexyLittleDoll »

I don't know too much about the program, but my ex was in the reserves for Army National Guard and he was also on active duty (I think, don't quote me on that) at one point. Honestly, I think the military is a great thing for someone to get into, it helps build character. I'm not saying that your boyfriend doesn't have enough of his own, but I think it's such a great thing to be apart of. Yes, it sucks if they have to be deployed but I think it's a very admirable thing and if it is going to help him with paying for school, thats awesome. Support him.. you love each other. Relationships are going to have things like this that you have to work through, but you can do it.
Σας αγαπώ μωρό. Σας χάνω, αγάπη εσείς, και θελήστε να είστε με σας .. με την όλη καρδιά μου. AKA SexyMandy
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

I'm married to a Marine and he's going to be going to Iraq here soon. Though being a military wife(girlfriend in your case) is hard - it's rewarding. They feel better about being a Military soldier because they have the person they love most standing beside them and because they are becoming SOMETHING. 4 years active duty isn't really all that bad. By the time he becomes a LCPL, everything will be 'natural' to him.

This is my husband's advice: GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Every branch of the Military has a habit of....screwing people over sort to speak. If he gets it in writing - they wont mess with him. Another thing - I (my husband) don't sugest joining the Navy unless you don't mind being on land 6 months and on a ship for 6 months. The best paying and most luxurious is the Air Force. The Marine Corps has too much bs and you hardly ever get good of it. The Army is really too pitaful. Good Luck.
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
nevermindmylife
Loyal

Post by nevermindmylife »

why does he have to join the military to pay for school? I mean, when you factor in how much time he will be spending paying back the military for his schooling, it just doesn't sound like the best idea. It would be better for him to work in the summer, get a part time, and a student loan. Depending on the cost of his schooling, he may very well be able to pay for his entire education through working in teh summer, and part time. And the student loan would just be back up, but even if he has to use the student loan, the time span required to pay that back would be less than how much time he would spend in military service.

I really think that if he is just joining the military to pay for school than he hasn't properly looked into other methods of making the money for it, or the payback period of each option. The military option should be the last option. There are much better methods out there, I mean, he may even be able to work it out with his parents that he borrows the money from them and then pays them back at the end of his education ,just like he would pay back a student loan. I think that his parents would probably be open to that idea of it means he won't have to join the military and set his career life back by 4 - 6 years.

If you have any questions please pm me.

<span style=\'color:red\'be sure to stay strong

for hope is always coming right along

sinical_sycology
Loyal

Post by sinical_sycology »

not necessarily true, military financial aid is one of the best forms of Aid here in america, this country really takes care of it's soldiers. I think you're confused, the military pays for his schooling but what I know he doesn't have to pay any of it back, it's basically you work for them and they help you out by putting you through school. But it doesn't stop there, even after he's done served his time, further along down the road say you guys want to buy a home....the military will help with that too, they'll help finance your home. Of course there are dangers and risks one takes by joining, but as I said it's much more of a personal thing than it is a financial issue because if you were to join there's a weedout period in which they test who really wants to be there, and if you have no heart you'll drop and leave, if you do have the heart and the true desire to be in the military then you'll stay. You should talk to your boyfriend about this, ask if in his heart he really wants to join the military if not and it is for financial needs then perhaps he should look at other options
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" - Jesus Of Nazareth -

"An educated fool is more foolish than an ignorant one." - Moliere -

"There are well-dressed foolish ideas, just as there are well-dressed fools." - Nicolas Chamfort -

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain -

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde -

REVOLUTIONARY - An oppressed person waiting for the opportunity to become an oppressor - Cynics Dictionary -
nevermindmylife
Loyal

Post by nevermindmylife »

perhaps I mispoke, I was under the impression that the guy has no intention of having a military career... if this is true, then I do stick by my words, but if not, then he should follow what he wants to do...

I mean, look at it this way (as to why he shouldn't, if he doesn't want a career)

School costs maybe $10K a year... so at 5 years that is $50K that you would have to pay, and if you put it all on loans then you will have to pay it back.. if you get an average job by the end of it, and make like $40k a year, with proper plan you can pay it off in 4 years no problem, and have cash to spare... and you won't have had to commit a chunk of your life to the military...

BUT, then again, I am coming at this from the Canadian perspective, and how our military/university funding works. I know in Canada it would be just a silly option to take if you don't want a military career (especially when our school really only comes to about $30K by the end of it).

any hoot, I really think you guys should sit down and do the numbers, before he jumps into getting the miliatry to pay.

<span style=\'color:red\'be sure to stay strong

for hope is always coming right along

Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

No, you don't have to pay the Militatry back - as long as you get it in writing.

Military here(USA) - just being a LCPL(Lance Corpral- Maine corps), you only get 1,300 a month(if you're not married and have no children). But again, that money is yours, you don't use it to pay for college.
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Has your boyfriend looked into employment, student loads, grants, funding that could be tapped into? Has he spoken with the financial office at the university about the problem?

Unless he wants to be in the army, he shouldn't be going. Its very different to ordinary life and unless he wants a military career, it will set him back a great deal (career wise), to be honest.

Take care,

Lena.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.