meet the parents

Have a major crush on that special girl but she doesn't like you in the least? Are you in love with a guy who doesn't even notice you? Whatever it might be, ask here. We'll give you some advice.

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

motoman
Loyal

meet the parents

Post by motoman »

the other day i was talking to my girlfriend and her mom took the phone from her and invited me to have dinner with them. the thing is, they dont know we're going out yet. her dad says he "just wants to know who his daughter has been talking to so much" and has made a test for me to take and is going to ask me a bunch of question (now remember he doesnt even know we're going out...). i want my GF to tell her parents that we are going out but i'm afraid that if she does then her dad will freak on me and try and scare me and just pritty much make things harder... i dont know if we should tell her parents or not. i think it would make things better in the long run but i dunno... also, what are to-do's and some to-dont's that i should know when i'm eating dinner and talking with there family? i've already met her mom and her sisters its just the dad that i havent met yet. ahh, i'm so scared :'( :blink: :o

edit: the reason that i'm so worried about when to tell them that we are a couple is because thats how my old GF andi messed our relationship up. she was scared to tell her dad so she never did.. he had to sneak around and eventually we got caught and he made us break up. it was a constent struggle for us to try and get him to let us get back together and we ended up just giving up. i dont want that to happen to this one i have now, she's special and she means to much to me to lose like that.
sexyheather
Veteran

Re: meet the parents

Post by sexyheather »

well, encourage her to tell them, but it's not your place to do that yourself. if you do she might dump you herself! just be polite, but not cheesy (you don't want them to think you're putting on an act.) use the manners your mom taught you, no playing with your food, no elbows on the table, etc. but be yourself and talk about things you like, ask them about themselves, smile, and say thank you a lot.
The quote that saved my life, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
Cindy
Veteran

Post by Cindy »

Originally posted by sexyheather@Jan 14 2003, 10:29 AM

well, encourage her to tell them, but it's not your place to do that yourself. if you do she might dump you herself! just be polite, but not cheesy (you don't want them to think you're putting on an act.) use the manners your mom taught you, no playing with your food, no elbows on the table, etc. but be yourself and talk about things you like, ask them about themselves, smile, and say thank you a lot.
Ask her to tell her folks you two are together. Just asking you to come over for dinner is a way of telling you that they already know. If their asking you over they are wanting to get to know you which is great.

also adding on to what Heather said, remember to chew with your mouth close, and wear something nice. A nice sweater and slacks. also rememebr to do your hair, and take out any pircings like tounge, nose, ear. most parents are still very much aginst guys and their ears being pirced.
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
She
Veteran

Post by She »

Just be honest, but not brutally so.. I mean, a couple bending-of-the-truths won't hurt ;) Don't be fake. If it's in your character to 'sir' and 'ma'am', do it, otherwise don't force it. Just try to be polite, don't be afraid to make eye contact or talk. Don't wait for them to make all the conversation, ask how they're doing and compliment their house and stuff. Don't ignore your girlfriend (my boyfriend's parents once told him if they were me he'd be dumped, because I went with them to a concert he was performing at and he barely talked the whole car ride.. didn't bother me, but I felt bad because his parents thought it did or something), but don't look at her and smile like you're hiding some secret or something from them. Makes parents uncomfortable. Hmm.. remember to say thanks and that the meal was good. Be prepared to answer honestly. Good luck!
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
motoman
Loyal

Post by motoman »

that was easy
She
Veteran

Post by She »

How'd it go?
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
motoman
Loyal

Post by motoman »

it was pritty good. her parents were nice and it was actually pritty fun. having her meet my dad (today) was a different story though.. he's such a fucking dick. he's like "no going into your room..." okay now the door was WIDE FUCKING OPEN and you could SEE US!!!! this is the same man that lets my sister have her boyfriend in her room with the door LOCKED! this is also the same man that let my sister bring her boyfriend on vacation with us... 12 hours there and 12 hours back.. the whole time they were making out and all over eachother.. i swear to god everytime he pulls shit like this it makes me want to move in with my mom even more.. the only thing that keeps me with my dad is my gf and friends... i couldn't care less about my dad. he kept asking millions of questions and it just got really annoying! he pissed me off so much tonight i punched a wall really hard.. i think i chipped a bone.... looks like i might be goin to the hospital tomorrow.... anyways.. i dont really care what my dad wants... she will be in my room when we want to go up there.. even if he doesnt want us to be up there. i guess i'll just go over to her house more then having her come to mine... cause her parents are totally cool about everything. anyways, later