Clingyness

Are you having trouble with your family or friends? Please talk it out with us.

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

BlackAdder529
Loyal

Clingyness

Post by BlackAdder529 »

Hey folks,

Man I haven't posted here in awhile... oh well, straight to the topic.

I met a friend awhile back who ended up being severely clingy. He wanted to hang out every day, all day, and he called me all the time. I just plain didn't have enough time to be around him so I told him so and he got real pissed. After that we didn't talk or hang out anymore.

Ok, when I met him, I noticed this behavior and I identified it as clingyness. So I went into a counter-cling mode. Every friend that I've made since I've met this guy, I have tried to keep my distance or push away just so they won't see me as clingy. I've never been clingy in my life and I have no problems with it, but I still have it stuck in my head that by having a real friendship with someone, they will see me as clingy. This is not true. Well, this counter-cling attitude has made me push people away. Any ideas on how to eliminate it? Thanks,

Chris
Life is like poker. You are dealt a hand but it's up to you to choose what to do with that hand.
StainLess
Loyal

Re: Clingyness

Post by StainLess »

Let yourself become clingy to someone, at least once.
B_Lo
Loyal

Post by B_Lo »

just start hangin out with a couple of yourfriends more often, andthe coutner clingyness should wear off because it will become a non apparent thing
Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given, than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossibloe is not a fact, it's an option/ Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary

Impossible is nothing- Muhammad Ali
Shwynsh
Veteran

Post by Shwynsh »

I think you should explain what you just explained to us to whoever you feel like you're starting to push away. So they understand. Sometimes its more annoying to have a friend whos being distant and you don't know why then being clingy. You should let them know that you're trying to work through this, and maybe they'll even offer some advice.
<span style=\'color:gray\'

"I have a feeling that you're riding for some kind of a terrible, terrible fall. . . . This fall I think you're riding for-it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started"
FallonCeceAda
Loyal

Post by FallonCeceAda »

I know how you feel. In middle school, my friends said I was clingy, but I really wasn't. I think you really need to try and hang out with them more, instead of pushing away. Try to go to a movie once and a while, or have sleepovers (do guys have sleepovers or is it just girls? I dunno) Maybe you guys can set one day a week where all of u hang out, that way u don't feel to clingy, but u r still trying to maintain a good friendship.
I was talking to God, and I asked him

"God why don't you create a scientist who can find the cure for AIDS/HIV and Cancer? Why can't you send a leader to give world peace?"

You know what God said?

"I did, but you all killed them in the womb."

I am a Army JROTC Cadet Private

I am 100% Pro-Life

I am Catholic

I am Drug Free

But most of all,

I am "Me"
nevermindmylife
Loyal

Post by nevermindmylife »

don't stop yourself from being who you are...

if you are trying not to be clingy, then you are trying not to be yourself, and your friends won't know the real you...

I know that sometimes being clingy can be abit much... but to some ppl the attention means that you do care about them, and that you do want to be their friend, and that they aren't just someone you hang around with whenever they pass your way...

I have a tendency to be abit clingy.. and my friends told me that.. but they said they never want me to stop.. because they know that I do it only because that's how I express that I love being friends with them, and that they are important to me...

<span style=\'color:red\'be sure to stay strong

for hope is always coming right along

cellardoor
Loyal

Post by cellardoor »

clingyness is a hard habit to break. but maybe instead of pushing others/friends away you should give what you get. if they call you one night a week then you call them one night a week. its kind of a way to appear interested in being friends but not come off clingy
staring off into the distance hoping for a better tomorrow....and finally that tomorrow came with you